BP Tankers Isle Of Bute

tankerman2
18th November 2008, 15:59
I left BP Tankers in the mid 70's at about the time they started to lay ships up in Bute. I was offered a trip up there but decided to leave the company.
Can anyone confirm what ships ended up there and how long this lay up went on for?
Many thanks

David Edge
23rd February 2009, 09:14
I left British Industry there on 29th October 1971 - I think she remained laid up fo 6-7 months before being sold.

paul0510
23rd February 2009, 14:50
Spent some months up there (as 2M) as part of a skeleton crew on the old Valour together, I believe, with the Honour. Built ourselves a 'jetty' for the lifeboat which was used daily for excursions ashore and for ferrying party-goers to and from Rothesay. And we had parties (Thumb)

jersey jim
23rd April 2009, 17:22
Paul,
Just found this site the week after I came back from Bute! Don't go back, it has changed so much. The Crown in Port Bannatyne was closed between 5 and 10 years ago. I remember the "jetty". Who ended up with the beast of a motor car we bought? Somewhere I have some photos of the Valour. I'll look them out. Jan. aka Jim Paton J/E

rog37
26th May 2009, 21:07
The Trader and the Honour were layed up in Bute about 4 months during the summer time previous to that they were anchored in Loch long which was winter time before going to Fairfields in greenock drydock where they were sold to Greek owners I was 4/eng C/E was a Kevin Scholar on the Trader