Brocklebank shipmates, rank at time of sailing

japottinger
21st July 2005, 21:12
Brocklebanks shipmates:
Ranks at the time of sailing.
Russell Gordon ch. eng; Jack Evans 2eng/ ch eng; Bob Stoddard 5th eng.;Chris o'Grady 2nd eng; Jeff Purnell 3rd eng; Harry Allison 2nd elec.; Cliff Watson ch. sparks; Ron McMurtrie 2nd sparks;Rankin Sinclair 4 eng; Johnny McCallum ch.eng; Jimmy Grant ch. eng.;Pete Roberts 3rd mate;Les Dow ch. elec.;Alan Barr 2nd elec.; Alan Ross 4th eng.;Dave Ruddick 5th eng.; Mike Jones deck app.;Jeff Pexton 3rd eng.; Larry Cleall-Harding 2nd eng.;Eric Lorimer 3rd eng.;H. Braunton ch.eng.; Jim Strafford ch. eng.;Trevor Jones ch. eng.;Ted Wyzdekie 3rd eng.; Jim Sunners ch. steward. Bob Hollingsworth jun 3rd eng.;

michael james
21st July 2005, 23:12
Jim, what years does this list span ?

japottinger
13th December 2009, 18:09
1958-61
Maihar, Manipur, Matra deep sea, Masirah, Mangla, Matheran, Makrana coast

Philthechill
14th December 2009, 00:11
1958-61
Maihar, Manipur, Matra deep sea, Masirah, Mangla, Matheran, Makrana coast Jim! I don't know exactly how rank these chaps were, you listed, but I find I'm pretty rank now and get worse with each passing day! I really MUST have a bath! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

rwshelley
9th May 2012, 07:02
Russell Gordon was Chief Engineer on the Atlantic Causeway and Atlantic Conveyor in the 70's. He must have been in his 50's then.

Swanvesta
9th May 2012, 15:23
Hi: Sailed as 5th engineer Oct' 1955 (first trip ) on S.S. Malabar, Chief Engineers name was Douglas Ruddick, a Liverpudlian like my self,only other "scouser" was chippy Jack peers from Birkenhead, other engineers all "geordies" 2nd engineer Eric ( Ben ) Lyons, 3rd,Joe Hall, 4th Jim Templeton.

S Fraser
15th May 2012, 10:58
Hi all,

Going a bit off topic here, but I was up in Cartmel in Cumbria at the weekend, and I came across a set of the "Brocklebank" history, in a great little antequarian book sellers called Norman Kerr. They have a large nautical section with some splendid books. I already have a set, but I know there are a few Brocks' guys that would like to buy the set.
The shop can be contacted on 015395 36247, or via e-mail at enquiries.kerrbooks@hotmail.co.uk. They don't appear to have a web site.
The current owner John Kerr showed me the volumes and they appear to be in good condition. He was asking 100 for the set, but I bought several books and he seemed to be very negotiable.

Stan

greenwell
20th August 2012, 22:39
I was an engineer in Brocks from Oct 1946 to Jan 1954, starting and finishing in the old Mathura (the one that had been shortened earlier). I served in the Mathura, Manipur, Makalla, Fort Camosun (returned to Mobile Al.), Makalla (Dec '47 - Mar '49), Markhor, Masirah, Matra, Martand, Markhor, Mahseer, Mandasor, Mahseer (again), Mandasor (again), Makalla, Matheran, and finally Mathura as Second Eng.. Then I left the company and went to North Thames Gas colliers (managed by Stevie Clarkes), and left as Chief of the Thomas Goulden in 1957 to become a ship-repair manager at Greenwell's in Sunderland.
Chiefs I sailed with included Hugh Broughton, Tommy Jones (copper-plate writing), Jack Defty, ? Morris, ? Andrews (no relation), ? Morrison.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who sailed on these ships at that time or who might remember me - although if you're as old as I am, it'll be a miracle if you can remember anything!
Ken Andrews.

oglebilluk
21st August 2012, 10:38
I was an engineer with Brocks just after you, 1957 to 1964.

You mentioned Tommy Jones and Jack Defty (who I think was known as 'pa')

They were together one evening for handover and regaled us for a whole evening with stories of their 'old days'. If ever a conversation should have been recorded it was that one, of course it wasn't!!

As I recall they went pre-first world war. So their 'old ships' must have been 1880's.

They only other story I remember about Pa Defty was that the 'day aboard man' was to keep checking in his cabin in case he'd fallen asleep with a cigarette in his mouth.

Happy days, and only last week (?)

I was an engineer in Brocks from Oct 1946 to Jan 1954, starting and finishing in the old Mathura (the one that had been shortened earlier). I served in the Mathura, Manipur, Makalla, Fort Camosun (returned to Mobile Al.), Makalla (Dec '47 - Mar '49), Markhor, Masirah, Matra, Martand, Markhor, Mahseer, Mandasor, Mahseer (again), Mandasor (again), Makalla, Matheran, and finally Mathura as Second Eng.. Then I left the company and went to North Thames Gas colliers (managed by Stevie Clarkes), and left as Chief of the Thomas Goulden in 1957 to become a ship-repair manager at Greenwell's in Sunderland.
Chiefs I sailed with included Hugh Broughton, Tommy Jones (copper-plate writing), Jack Defty, ? Morris, ? Andrews (no relation), ? Morrison.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who sailed on these ships at that time or who might remember me - although if you're as old as I am, it'll be a miracle if you can remember anything!
Ken Andrews.

muirj
27th August 2012, 09:24
Has anyone come across Mike Tilley, C/E who went to Port Line in 1962 and stayed with them till the early 1970/ Would like to contact. Jim

Brian Brown
8th November 2013, 11:45
[QUOTE=japottinger;10970]Brocklebanks shipmates:
Ranks at the time of sailing.
Russell Gordon ch. eng; Jack Evans 2eng/ ch eng; Bob Stoddard 5th eng.;Chris o'Grady 2nd eng; Jeff Purnell 3rd eng; Harry Allison 2nd elec.; Cliff Watson ch. sparks; Ron McMurtrie 2nd sparks;Rankin Sinclair 4 eng; Johnny McCallum ch.eng; Jimmy Grant ch. eng.;Pete Roberts 3rd mate;Les Dow ch. elec.;Alan Barr 2nd elec.; Alan Ross 4th eng.;Dave Ruddick 5th eng.; Mike Jones deck app.;Jeff Pexton 3rd eng.; Larry Cleall-Harding 2nd eng.;Eric Lorimer 3rd eng.;H. Braunton ch.eng.; Jim Strafford ch. eng.;Trevor Jones ch. eng.;Ted Wyzdekie 3rd eng.; Jim Sunners ch. steward. Bob Hollingsworth jun 3rd eng.; Brian Brown 5th Eng (/QUOTE)