'Vickers Venturer' & 'Pisces II'

marlinspike
22nd July 2005, 22:23
Hi: Am looking for information on the above plus any photo's. 'Vickers Venturer' was operated by Vickers Oceanics which was a shoot off of Vickers Ship Building Ltd. around 1970. It is possible she was a converted deep sea stern trawler with an 'A' frame on her stern, modified as mother ship for the 'Pisces II' submersible. Any info, photo's or sources for search and reference would be gratefully received. Regards: Peter (marlinspike)

Marcus Cardew
6th August 2005, 14:46
Hi Peter,
When I left deep sea, I joined VOL in 1975, and the Venturer (not a very large converted fishing boat, and yes she did have a A-Frame for launch recovery) was being used for pilot training and torpedo salvage up on the Range at Kyle of Lochalsh. At that time Pisces 1 was on board, Pisces 2 at that time was on Vickers Viking, and I spent a bit of that summer doing platform site surveys out in the North Sea.

The fleet list that I remember was Venturer, Voyager, Viking, Viscount (and maybe one other..). We also used the 'Lune Fisher' up at Kyle for training.

I'll see if I can look out some pix for you.

Cheers!
Marcus Cardew

Marcus Cardew
6th August 2005, 15:46
(My wits were astray) The other one was Vickers Vanguard...

I spent time on all of then during '75/76 doing survey work. I then left and with a pal, Roger Chapman, we started up our own ROV operations company and to all intents and purposes I suppose we helped put VOL and the French company Intersub out of the submersible survey business....

In about 1978 Vickers decided to pull out of the business, and Vicker Oceanics became 'British Oceanics' as part of the 'British Underwater Engineering Group' (BUE), when Intersub got into difficulties, we took over all their ships and submersibles as well, and the ships we kept were renamed as 'British Enterprise' 1,2,3,4,5

marlinspike
6th August 2005, 17:32
Thanks Marcus for the information - very interesting - it appears I had only half the story!! I am still searching for pics that I would be willing to purchase. Best Wishes:

Peter (marlinspike)

Marcus Cardew
9th August 2005, 19:38
H Peter,
Haven'y orgotten to look out some pix, but 'Down by the Head' with work at the moment.. Grumble me if you don't hear anything soon....

jim mair
22nd November 2005, 07:23
Hi,
I was 2,nd Mate on Vickers Venturer along with Bob Brown as Capt. and then Len Edwards. Went down to Gib to do unit work in 1972 ? and then back to the Sound of Rassay for more unit trials. Only photograph I have is of little intrest, me on top of Pices on the way to gib.
Kind regards,

Jim Mair

R58484956
22nd November 2005, 14:39
Welcome Jim to the SN website, you are now with the sea/ship loving fraternity, enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

japottinger
22nd November 2005, 18:24
Vickers Venturer was ex-Reiko-68 built in 1963 by T Mitchison at Gateshead; Viking was ex- Dormund-74; Danasbank-70; Hamburg-67 built in 1965 by A G Weser Seebeck
Voyager was ex-Fairtry II -72, built in 1959 by Wm Simons at Renfrew.
Hope this helps,
Jim

japottinger
22nd November 2005, 18:25
Vickers Venturer was ex-Reiko-68 built in 1963 by T Mitchison at Gateshead; Viking was ex- Dormund-74; Danasbank-70; Hamburg-67 built in 1965 by A G Weser Seebeck
Voyager was ex-Fairtry II -72, built in 1959 by Wm Simons at Renfrew.
Hope this helps,
Jim

WLH
22nd November 2005, 20:42
Hi: Am looking for information on the above plus any photo's. 'Vickers Venturer' was operated by Vickers Oceanics which was a shoot off of Vickers Ship Building Ltd. around 1970. It is possible she was a converted deep sea stern trawler with an 'A' frame on her stern, modified as mother ship for the 'Pisces II' submersible. Any info, photo's or sources for search and reference would be gratefully received. Regards: Peter (marlinspike)

See gallery for photograph of Fairtry II................WLH (Applause)

gdynia
22nd November 2005, 21:05
There was a documentary brought out along while ago by the BBC.I purchased a copy of it from the BBC Shop which was in the Entrance to Eldon Square Shopping Centre in Newcastle(not sure if shop is still there)Try the BBC Web site they may be able to get you a copy

Rennie Cameron
30th October 2006, 23:40
If an interest remains, two BUE ships went to DSND an offshore company. Became Atria and Helder - were laid up in Hugesund. Scrapped about two years ago. Another went to an Italian diving company and was stretched. It is still sailing.

Lefty
18th November 2006, 01:22
Am I right in thinking the Vickers Venturer became the British Enterprise 3 whilst with BUE !!! If so there is a b..... aweful photo of her on another ship photo site. Name defeats me at the moment. She was a Sub mothership when I sailed on her back in the 80's. BFN Ankorjuglor!!!

Rennie Cameron
18th November 2006, 10:05
I think the 3 became the OTS Yeoman.....I have to check - but subsequently sold, she became the Yeoman owned by Impresub (she was the ex supply). She was stretched about 5 years ago and works with them in the Med. New DP installed and a sat system on the aft end. This would I suppose make her the last of these vessels in existence. Again without checking records I think she was the 3 but for sure other remaining units became Atria and Helder then scrapped in a externally pretty poor condition altho accomjodation wise they were refurbished - I was on both in Norway just prior to their scrapping.

peter bassham
1st June 2007, 11:41

Hello peter, I sailed on the voyager in 1972, It was a converted factory ship called the Fairtry 11, you might be able to get a photo from Lancashire county council (Fleetwood) archives.
Best Regards Peter Bassham.

RayJordandpo
1st June 2007, 15:15
I think the 3 became the OTS Yeoman.....I have to check - but subsequently sold, she became the Yeoman owned by Impresub (she was the ex supply). She was stretched about 5 years ago and works with them in the Med. New DP installed and a sat system on the aft end. This would I suppose make her the last of these vessels in existence. Again without checking records I think she was the 3 but for sure other remaining units became Atria and Helder then scrapped in a externally pretty poor condition altho accomjodation wise they were refurbished - I was on both in Norway just prior to their scrapping.

Rennie,
I think the 'OTS Yeoman' was the old 'British Enterprise Five'. I was DPO on her in the North Sea, Singapore (where she underwnt a refit) and in the Gulf of Thailand. She originally had an old Honeywell DP system which was a nightmare, in fact the whole bloody ship was just that. I can't say I was sorry to get off that vessel.
Ray Jordan

baffled
22nd January 2010, 23:29
Just as a 'bump' ...

The 'Enterprise 4' [mentioned in the link below] is Vickers Vanguard.

The RN intervention/appearance is the Oberon class HMS Onyx.

I have yet to see the movie.
However, the [then] young man who was in command of VV at that time told me that the footage showing the vessel @ full ahead whilst having the 'black balls up' will haunt him forever.

http://movies.tvguide.com/goliath-awaits/review/136482

Rgds.
B.
ex. BE1, BE4 [re-activation @ Dundee then the operational years] and also the 'Vanguard blitz' @ Leith early 1982.

BE1 was a crackin' vessel.
BE4 was a feather bed.

Billieboy
23rd January 2010, 10:36
Just as a 'bump' ...

The 'Enterprise 4' [mentioned in the link below] is Vickers Vanguard.

The RN intervention/appearance is the Oberon class HMS Onyx.

I have yet to see the movie.
However, the [then] young man who was in command of VV at that time told me that the footage showing the vessel @ full ahead whilst having the 'black balls up' will haunt him forever.

http://movies.tvguide.com/goliath-awaits/review/136482

Read this Science Fiction story at least forty years ago, good story but a little lacking on standard metallurgy.(Thumb)

vectiscol
24th January 2010, 12:20
According to my old notes, Vickers Venturer (ex-Reiko) became British Venturer (British Oceanics) in 1979, then Venturer (Eagle Tugs) in 1980.

Vickers Venturer: Loa 131'-6"; lbp 117'-8"; breadth 25'-0"; depth 12'-4"; 2 x Bristol Siddley Maybach diesels, single screw.

The vessel was built as a trawler with a hydroconic hull form. I worked on the conversion at Vickers 1969-70, including making a dummy Pisces submersible.

Sabastapol
24th January 2010, 16:28
According to my old notes, Vickers Venturer (ex-Reiko) became British Venturer (British Oceanics) in 1979, then Venturer (Eagle Tugs) in 1980.

Vickers Venturer: Loa 131'-6"; lbp 117'-8"; breadth 25'-0"; depth 12'-4"; 2 x Bristol Siddley Maybach diesels, single screw.

The vessel was built as a trawler with a hydroconic hull form. I worked on the conversion at Vickers 1969-70, including making a dummy Pisces submersible.

This is the first time since being on the site that I have found anything about Pisces and Vickers. My interest is that in 70/71 Vickers advertised for someone to manage the Pisces project. Since I had worked for Land and Marine Contractors (now Land and Marine Construction) I applied. Amazingly I found that after one or two interviews I was on a short list of two. Some weeks later I got an 'I'm sorry' letter. It obviously was not meant to be, which was probably just as well!!
With regards

nav
21st October 2010, 02:50
Marcus, perhaps the "missing" vessel was the Fred Olsen Oceanis "Borgholm"? She was an incredible sea boat with Slingsby's LR3 and Pisces 8 (I think)on board. LR3 is now on display at the Haslar Submarine Museum at Gosport after a second career as a Royl Navy deep submergence rescue submarine.
Staggeringly, Borgholm ( now called Pan Trader ) has recently undergone a major refit and is still working at 52 years of age with some of her original ferry interior still intact.

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/skagen_1958.htm
http://www.soldekk.no/pan%20trader.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superbrezhnev/sets/72157624153554874/with/3710201880/

John Astley
3rd March 2012, 11:21
(My wits were astray) The other one was Vickers Vanguard...

I spent time on all of then during '75/76 doing survey work. I then left and with a pal, Roger Chapman, we started up our own ROV operations company and to all intents and purposes I suppose we helped put VOL and the French company Intersub out of the submersible survey business....

In about 1978 Vickers decided to pull out of the business, and Vicker Oceanics became 'British Oceanics' as part of the 'British Underwater Engineering Group' (BUE), when Intersub got into difficulties, we took over all their ships and submersibles as well, and the ships we kept were renamed as 'British Enterprise' 1,2,3,4,5

Hi Marcus, its John Astley from the distant past, ex Vickers Oceanics.
I have put together about 300 picture of ships and subs from the era on a CD. I would like to get it to you, and any others you may be able to get me in contact with.

andybogle
25th April 2012, 00:47
Hi Marcus, its John Astley from the distant past, ex Vickers Oceanics.
I have put together about 300 picture of ships and subs from the era on a CD. I would like to get it to you, and any others you may be able to get me in contact with.

Hi John. Remember me, Andy Bogle? I was Survey Manager at BOL back in 1980-81.

John Astley
25th April 2012, 11:01
Yes Andy,
I remember you from those days, although I am getting old and senile now. I put together a lot of photographs on a DVD of those days. Ships Submarines, and people. I have contacted about 25 persons and sent them copies. If you would like to receive a copy just give me an address to post it to. Its to big to email. My email is

astleymail@aol.com

If you know of anyone else from that time I would appreciate the contact.

Best Regards
John Astley

nav
26th April 2012, 13:55
I worked as a surveyor on the Borgholm out of Leith and Tananger and later was a Shell rep on the Vickers Viking. I did a couple of dives which were awesome experiences and remember the cooking timer that was reset every 20 minutes after it "tinged" followed by scrubbing the air for 90 seconds and then topping back up with oxygen until the barometer rose to the surface pressure. Very, very basic.

Was the steward on the Vicker's Viking an ex-batman of Monty's? He was a very quiet guy with a moustache but very interesting when you got him talking. Trevor from Arran was the skipper and as V.V. rolled, as she always seemed to do, he walked back and forth on the spot. It was quite bizarre talking to him as you walked together on the same spot as the ship rolled back and forth. Roger Taylor was Dive Supervisor

Old Cap'n Brown also came from my home town here in West Kilbride, as was Orin Jewitt who pioneered a lot of survey computer routines and techniques Both were real characters!

Borghom's DS was Steiner Kronberg Eveson (Stoney) who was mad as a hatter. He was ex Norwegian sub service and commanded an ex-Uboat that he took down very deep as an experiment just prior to decommissioning. He told us that the U-boat at Kiel museum was his command which the guide refuted until he showed his SKE initials carved into the doorway as was traditional by all her commanders.

LR3 from Borgholm is now on display at the Gosport submarine museum, I nearly fell over when I saw it, the Fred Olsen/Vickers Oceanics graphics are still just visible. LR5 was the navy DSRV although it was due for replacement by a new vehicle which was trialled last year off Fairlie quay by the Brits, Norwegians and Dutch.

andybogle
26th April 2012, 15:08
Thanks for memories Nav (and what a great memory you have!). I feel I must know you. I too worked on the Borgholm as a Shell rep and made my first dive in a Pisces vehicle from that ship. Bob Fisher was the Offshore Manager and I also remember Steiner well. And Oran Jewitt! My recollections have him sitting over an HP9845, cigarette in hand and an overflowing ashtray having been up for 24 hours trying to solve some software issue. What a great guy he was. I later became Survey Manager at BOL working for Bob Hudson.

nav
26th April 2012, 22:22
Borgholm is still going, see my post #21 above. I remeber waiting all night for an ATNAV transponder to release in a good going nine. Up and down the range untill it suddenly released. We all went outside tor try and spot it but couldn't see it.

Crazy thing was the range didn't change from about 15 metres. I had a brainwave, it was in the moonpool! Jim Scott was the PC.

jcolinwilliams
29th August 2012, 16:18
Hi to all ex Vickers Oceanics, BUE, and Balder Cabot (HMB/Hydrospace) shipmates from Colin Williams <jcolinwilliams@gmail.com>
Special hello to Marcus, John and Andy - have just picked up this thread and really chuffed that there are still a few of us with some marbles left. Fond memories of you all.

jcolinwilliams
4th September 2012, 13:10
Hi Marcus. How are you doing? We also use the Poole Fisher (RIP) once or twice.
Regards
Colin Williams

manowari
19th March 2013, 03:27
I believe i can throw some light on the fate of the Vickers Venturer which was bought by Eagle Tugs of Mombasa and renamed Venturer. Her first job was in Hodeidah as depot ship for a major salvage operation. Later based in Mombasa and in '83, Divecon a Mombasa based diving company used it at Dar es Salaam for the SBM change out for which I was responsible for the underwater aspect. It was later laid up in Mombasa and scrapped there.

Eirikmar
29th May 2013, 00:29
I worked as a surveyor on the Borgholm out of Leith and Tananger and later was a Shell rep on the Vickers Viking. I did a couple of dives which were awesome experiences and remember the cooking timer that was reset every 20 minutes after it "tinged" followed by scrubbing the air for 90 seconds and then topping back up with oxygen until the barometer rose to the surface pressure. Very, very basic.

Was the steward on the Vicker's Viking an ex-batman of Monty's? He was a very quiet guy with a moustache but very interesting when you got him talking. Trevor from Arran was the skipper and as V.V. rolled, as she always seemed to do, he walked back and forth on the spot. It was quite bizarre talking to him as you walked together on the same spot as the ship rolled back and forth. Roger Taylor was Dive Supervisor

Old Cap'n Brown also came from my home town here in West Kilbride, as was Orin Jewitt who pioneered a lot of survey computer routines and techniques Both were real characters!

Borghom's DS was Steiner Kronberg Eveson (Stoney) who was mad as a hatter. He was ex Norwegian sub service and commanded an ex-Uboat that he took down very deep as an experiment just prior to decommissioning. He told us that the U-boat at Kiel museum was his command which the guide refuted until he showed his SKE initials carved into the doorway as was traditional by all her commanders.

LR3 from Borgholm is now on display at the Gosport submarine museum, I nearly fell over when I saw it, the Fred Olsen/Vickers Oceanics graphics are still just visible. LR5 was the navy DSRV although it was due for replacement by a new vehicle which was trialled last year off Fairlie quay by the Brits, Norwegians and Dutch. Worked om Borgholm ASA materialsman and later as pilot on the LR 4. We also had Pisces 10 from the start. Arter the companu was land down I tok up flying in differensiert companies Around Europe. Eirik E.

WEST
22nd October 2013, 20:22
Apologies for being late in picking up this thread but i had the dubious honour of sailing as deckie on the Relko in what i believe was her last commecial fishing trip back in the mid to late sixties. I joined the vessel in Hull and we sailed to the Norwegian coast to experiment with Mid-water trawling gear under the supervision of Sir Denistoun Burney who apparently had designed this mid-water gear with what was then massive paravanes. We spent several days at sea before going into Stavanger for 4/5 days to have modifications made to the gear after which we sailed, got caught in some heavy weather and one of our deckies ended up having his legs crushed when the paravane slid across the deck. He was duly put ashore at Aberdeen and we continued fishing. If memory serves me right we were away for about 28 days after which we landed back at North Shields and she was subsequently laid up prior to being sold and becoming Vickers Venturer. Not 100% sure but i think the Skipper was a South Shields man called Jack Sanderson (Jumpy Jack)