Hello to Ben Line Forum

Leith Lass
23rd November 2008, 23:06
Hi,

Just a quick introduction. My love of ships started as a child, as my father, Henry Galloway was catering officer with the Ben Line in the 1960's and 70's. I remember fondly the Bengloe, Benalbanach, Ben Lawers and Benalder (the container one). Also have memories of one of the stewards, Archie, from Aberdeen, who father thought very highly of, and being bounced up and down by Captain Spencer as a very young child whenever we were on his ship. My father died five years ago, but I have retained my love of ships, although I prefer tugs and cruise ships these days. Still live in Leith, very close to Ben Line's old offices.

benjidog
23rd November 2008, 23:33
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

non descript
24th November 2008, 00:59
LL, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and making such an interesting first posting. - Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. (Thumb)

john fraser
24th November 2008, 01:52
Hi Leith Lass.
You are most welcome here.I take it you are Lisa.or Little Lisa we called you.I was with your Dad ,when I was 2nd.Steward on the Bengloe when we docked in Leith.That was some time ago maybe 73.I often wondered about him and when in Leith or visiting Edinburgh,I used to walk around the Montgomery St.area hoping I.d see him as I never remembered his address and forgot the name of his local near Easter Road. I am sorry to read that he had passed away as I always hoped to meet him again.