Lynton Trahern

Lynton Trahern
24th November 2008, 14:23
Does anyone have any information on the OVINGTON COURT wrecked off Durban on 26/11/1940. I have managed to get hold of all the usual info but am keen to know why she was sailing around the South African coast line, what went wrong,what was her cargo and were any lives lost. Please help if you can,many thanks , regards, Lynton Trahern(A)

Bruce Carson
24th November 2008, 14:41
Lynton, don't know if this helps, but the following article states that she was on her way from Mauritius to Durban with a cargo of sugar.

http://www.fad.co.za/Resources/ovi/ovington.htm

Bruce

gdynia
24th November 2008, 15:43
Lynton if you get in touch with the following hospital you should get all details as in their records they state they witnessed her come ashore

ADDINGTON HOSPITAL
PO Box 977 Durban 4000
Erskine Terrace South Beach Durban
Tel: +27 (0) 31 327 2000
Fax: +27 (0) 31 368 3300
Email: jill.hurst@kznhealth.gov.za

benjidog
24th November 2008, 20:22
There is a history of this ship and what happened to her in the Court Line section on my website - see below.

Lynton Trahern
25th November 2008, 04:23
Thank you for your response.The wreck is still visible at low tide, not much left but still there.I am most keen to learn as much about this vessel as possible.I have the ships bell engraved Amblestone Cardiff mounted as my front door bell.My late grandfather was with the local agents during the war and was responsible for assessing damage/losses to shipping in convoys etc.
Sadly never discussed this vessel.Thanks again, Lynton Trahern

Lynton Trahern
25th November 2008, 04:30
Thank you so very much for your reply and suggested sites ti view for further information. I have the ships bell engraved Amblestone Cardiff as my front door bell and have always been keen to find out more.Thank you again, Lynton Trahern

Lynton Trahern
25th November 2008, 04:33
Thank you for your mail, will certainly go and ask, but wonder what sort of response I will get,modern SA is not what it usede to be, thanks again,Lynton Trahern