Shipping Out- A Sailors Tale

nautibuoy42
28th November 2008, 20:21
This is an excellent book by Gerry Evans who now resides in NZ, but is originally from Aberystwyth, telling his story from deckboy to AB from the mid 1950s, brought back many happy memories of when we still had a Merchant Navy.(Thumb)

daveyjones
9th December 2008, 17:22
My friend and fellow author Gerry Evans died peacefully in his sleep 25 May 2008 aged 70yrs.

Regards Daveyjones (Dave Share "Oceans of Time)

oceangoer
9th December 2008, 20:29
Sorry to hear of Evans, death.
I'm halway through the book and enjoying it immensely.

Bill Davies
9th December 2008, 20:56
Sounds like a good read. I'll order it tomorrow.

Trader
9th December 2008, 23:30
I sailed with Gerry when he was deck boy on the "Astyanax" in 1955. I was in contact with him about four years ago through another web site when he was researching his book and he was asking about information on the "Astynax" and especially the bosun Big Jake Cleary. I sent him a few photos and as much as I could remember about Big Jake.
I don't know if Jake appears in the book or not. I shall have to try and get hold of a copy.
I heard that he had passed away on another site. R.I.P.

Alec.

oceangoer
10th December 2008, 00:38
I don't know if Jake appears in the book or not. I shall have to try and get hold of a copy.

Jake Cleary appears in his first two voyages on Astyanax before he got fed up of the b******t and went to ED's and elsewhere.
If you did a couple of trips with him you'll enjoy the book which is reasonably priced but the postage is horrendous.

Bill Davies
2nd August 2009, 09:40
Jake Cleary appears in his first two voyages on Astyanax before he got fed up of the b******t and went to ED's and elsewhere.
If you did a couple of trips with him you'll enjoy the book which is reasonably priced but the postage is horrendous.

This cannot be the Jack Cleary you and I have been discussing Alec.
Jack retired well before the ED thing happened! There is clearly confusion somewhere.

Trader
2nd August 2009, 21:29
This cannot be the Jack Cleary you and I have been discussing Alec.
Jack retired well before the ED thing happened! There is clearly confusion somewhere.

Bill,

This is the same Jack Cleary. I managed to get the book from our local library here in Dover a few months ago and it really is a good read especially for me as I sailed with Gerry Evans on the Astyanax.

Oceangoer was referring to Gerry not Jack Cleary when he said that he " got fed up of the b.....d" (meaning Jack) and went to ED's.

Gerry did two trips with Jack as deck boy but didn't get on with him so decided to leave Blue Funnel and try his hand elsewhere. The book covers about six or seven years of Gerrys life on board a variety of ships before he emigrated to New Zealand.

Alec.

Bill Davies
2nd August 2009, 21:36
Alec,

Thanks for that. I stand corrected now that I read the post again.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
2nd August 2009, 22:17
Bill,

This is the same Jack Cleary. I managed to get the book from our local library here in Dover a few months ago and it really is a good read especially for me as I sailed with Gerry Evans on the Astyanax.

Oceangoer was referring to Gerry not Jack Cleary when he said that he " got fed up of the b.....d" (meaning Jack) and went to ED's.

Gerry did two trips with Jack as deck boy but didn't get on with him so decided to leave Blue Funnel and try his hand elsewhere. The book covers about six or seven years of Gerrys life on board a variety of ships before he emigrated to New Zealand.

Alec.

Alec,
I know exactly how he felt.
Pat(EEK)

Bill Davies
2nd August 2009, 22:24
I can only say that I got on well with Jack. But, as I have said in the past he could be darn right frightening , no less, to a deck boy.

Bill

Trader
2nd August 2009, 22:41
I can only say that I got on well with Jack. But, as I have said in the past he could be darn right frightening , no less, to a deck boy.

Bill

I also got on reasonably well with him but if he took a dislike to you watch out. As I have said in a previous post he took a dislike to an EDH from his own home town and gave him a dogs life. Probably something personal, I don't know.

Alec.

Bill Davies
3rd August 2009, 10:27
It was that 'pensive moment' (bottom plate pushed forward to expose 'fangs')before Jack sprang that unnerved people. People have to remember that that Jack and Joe Kavanagh came from Wicklow and they carried a certain status and almost revered in the town and were very hard on their own.

Trader
3rd August 2009, 18:09
I remember the "fangs" well Bill.

Alec.

price
3rd August 2009, 20:19
I sailed with Gerry when he was deck boy on the "Astyanax" in 1955. I was in contact with him about four years ago through another web site when he was researching his book and he was asking about information on the "Astynax" and especially the bosun Big Jake Cleary. I sent him a few photos and as much as I could remember about Big Jake.
I heard that he had passed away on another site. R.I.P.

Alec.

Hello Alec; Bought the book on your recomendation, took it on holiday in June and thoroughly enjoyed it, so many similarities it is a wonder our paths didn't cross. Was the Wally that Gerry refers to on the Astyanax, Wally Plant? I sailed with Wally on one of the 'A' Boats, I forget which.
Bruce.

Trader
3rd August 2009, 22:51
Hello Alec; Bought the book on your recomendation, took it on holiday in June and thoroughly enjoyed it, so many similarities it is a wonder our paths didn't cross. Was the Wally that Gerry refers to on the Astyanax, Wally Plant? I sailed with Wally on one of the 'A' Boats, I forget which.
Bruce.

I am not sure Bruce but I don't think so as the name Plant doesn't ring a bell with me. If I remember rightly the Wally that he refers to sailed in the Market boats out of Liverpool.

Were you on any of the Everard boats that Gerry sailed on?.

Alec.

price
4th August 2009, 12:23
I am not sure Bruce but I don't think so as the name Plant doesn't ring a bell with me. If I remember rightly the Wally that he refers to sailed in the Market boats out of Liverpool.

Were you on any of the Everard boats that Gerry sailed on?.

Alec.

Hello Alec; I was 2/m. on the Superiority for a while in the mid 60s, I think we were on Home Trade articles all the time. She was on Foreign Articles when Gerry was there, so he was probably there before my time. I remember the Warship on the jetty at Aberdyfi, must have been the very early 50s, probably the last visiting warship to berth on the jetty. The Frigate HMS Virago visited a couple of years later but she anchored outside the Bar.
Gerry's home town Aberystwyth, was quite local, us lads often caught the train to Aber on a Saturday and painted the town red with our meagre pocket money, it was the only place in those days that had a bit of life, fond memories of a favourite place, though Aber hasn't changed that much over the years.
Bruce.

veste
8th January 2010, 02:31
A book that i could not put down till finished.
" That was the best of times when we were young at sea "
Kind Regards
veste