Monte Ulia

Bob S
24th July 2005, 15:09
Naviera Aznar's MONTE ULIA moored in Gravesend Reach on the Thames. Her bow damage was caused, if memory serves me correctly, by colliding with an oil jetty further down river.

tanker
8th October 2005, 16:45
Built as MONASTERIO EL ESCORIAL 1953,very similar to COVADONGA and GUADALUPE bulit i 1953.
Gp

FLYERS
8th October 2005, 20:50
Remember her well along with the other 'Monte' boats used to call at Liverpool, that once great port, in the 70's and 80's.

Cheers,

FILIPVS
4th February 2014, 01:54
Built as MONASTERIO EL ESCORIAL 1953,very similar to COVADONGA and GUADALUPE bulit i 1953.
Gp

Tanker:
"Monasterio de El Escorial" was other different ship. The "MONTE ULIA" was built as "MONASTERIO DE SILOS" at Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval shipyards, in Bilbao year 1948. She was launched in 1951 and renamed MONTE ULIA in 1952. She was employed formerly in the route Genova- Spain-Veracruz.
In 1962 she passed to the service London-Tenerife with cargo (mainly fruit) and passengers (british tourists).
In sptember 1970 she collided in Thames river with Mobil Oil jetty, with a damage and fire as consequence.
In 1974 she changed to the line Liverpool-Tenerife (http://www.histarmar.com.ar/LineasPaxaSA/92-NavieraAznar.htm).
In 1976 she was exported to Climax Shipping Corporation (Liberia) and renamed as CLIMAX OPAL.

On March 1977 she suffered a fire during discharge operations in Belfast. On July same year she was sold to Santander breakers (Spain).

Hugh Ferguson
4th February 2014, 12:14
[QUOTE=Bob S;11154]Naviera Aznar's MONTE ULIA moored in Gravesend Reach on the Thames. Her bow damage was caused, if memory serves me correctly, by colliding with an oil jetty further down river.[/QUOTE

You're right, the pilot was John Natcott-West and in taking extreme action to avoid a river tanker, which had unexpectedly crossed ahead of the Monte Ulia, they struck the brand new oil jetty and literally, destroyed it!

trotterdotpom
4th February 2014, 12:14
A handsome ship when she wasn't getting knocked about. How do you say "Jonah" in Spanish.

My cousin worked at Canvey Island, must ask him if he was there the day that "Monte Ulia" came to town.

Was the collision an accident or was it deliberate? The Mobil refinery was only a hop, skip and jump from Tilbury where Good Queen Bess made her anti-armada speech about having the "heart and stomach of a King". We'll never know.

John T

Hugh Ferguson
4th February 2014, 14:50
A handsome ship when she wasn't getting knocked about. How do you say "Jonah" in Spanish.

My cousin worked at Canvey Island, must ask him if he was there the day that "Monte Ulia" came to town.

Was the collision an accident or was it deliberate? The Mobil refinery was only a hop, skip and jump from Tilbury where Good Queen Bess made her anti-armada speech about having the "heart and stomach of a King". We'll never know.

John T

See HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=19862&page=3#64)

trotterdotpom
4th February 2014, 14:57
Thanks, Hugh. I'm surprised they were allowed to get pilotage exemption. How did that come about, especially for a foreign ship? I remember having a pilot on a flat iron running up to Fulham.

John T

Hugh Ferguson
4th February 2014, 15:37
Lots of regular runners in and out of the Thames their masters had exemption certificates-Everards, G.S.N. and many others. If any of them had gone out of the Home Trade area they might be compulsory on return to home waters.
I once-only once-piloted an Everard ship that had been chartered to some port in the Meddie and consequently was obliged on return to take a pilot, me!
The master made his displeasure more than a little evident all the way to Gravesend-he probably knew the river better than I, but bye laws are bye-laws!