Mahout in James Bond film

Stuart Smith
30th November 2008, 14:15
I have been looking through some of the old Brocklebank threads but can not find the one I seem to remember so I will start a new thread to ask my question.
I remember some time ago one of our ex-Brocklebank members saying that in the James Bond film 'You only live twice' MV Mahout is featured / seen in Kobe harbour during a fight sequence. Last night I hired out the film to view the old girl again. Certainly there is a fight scene in and around a harbour (could be Kobe but I've never been there) and there are a couple of ships seen. The main vessel features largely and there is a second astern of it. I stopped the film, ran it slowly, ran it backwards etc but I am 90% sure that neither is Mahout.
Can anyone either confirm I have the correct film or put me straight that one of the ships is indeed one of my old ships.
Also I have a copy somewhere of the video 'Ships of the Mersey' which has a very good sequence taken on board Maskeliya, another one of my old ships.

Stuart Smith

Derek Roger
30th November 2008, 15:30
I have been looking through some of the old Brocklebank threads but can not find the one I seem to remember so I will start a new thread to ask my question.
I remember some time ago one of our ex-Brocklebank members saying that in the James Bond film 'You only live twice' MV Mahout is featured / seen in Kobe harbour during a fight sequence. Last night I hired out the film to view the old girl again. Certainly there is a fight scene in and around a harbour (could be Kobe but I've never been there) and there are a couple of ships seen. The main vessel features largely and there is a second astern of it. I stopped the film, ran it slowly, ran it backwards etc but I am 90% sure that neither is Mahout.
Can anyone either confirm I have the correct film or put me straight that one of the ships is indeed one of my old ships.
Also I have a copy somewhere of the video 'Ships of the Mersey' which has a very good sequence taken on board Maskeliya, another one of my old ships.

Stuart Smith

Hi Stuart;
It was my post in a thread about ships in films a long time ago ; there is another new thread opened about ships in films but it is not in there.
I joined the Mahout ( for my 3rd trip on her ) in June of 67 in Newport News and we sailed to Japan where her colors were changed from Black with white stripe to white and blue . It was however the trip before where she featured briefly in the Movie . Paul Gerogeson was our Electrician and he had also been on her the previous trip when in Kobe and it is he who told the story .It was the fight scene on Kobe docks . The hull with black stripe can be seen with the name painted out and the Movie ships name painted in . There is another shot during the fight taken on the roof of a shed which shows some superstucture of another ship (not mahout as far as I could see )
The other shots of the Movie vessel at anchor somewhere are not the Mahout .

Paul and some of the engineers got quite friendly with the camera crews and met in The Kings Head Arms in Kobe .
One of the camera men lost his leg / legs in to a helicopter blade while shooting the helicopter fight . I understand he recovered but some time later later lost his life in some other shoot.

Regards Derek

Tony Sprigings
1st December 2008, 14:57
Stuart,
The sequence in [Ships of the Mersey] of the Maskeliya is taken from a film I made during my last two voyages as Master. I loaned the film to Des Cox who extracted parts for the making of his video.Cheers,
Tony

sidsal
1st December 2008, 22:24
Tony
Greetings from Sid Davies. I'm afraid I am a bit incompetent on computers.
I heard you had not been well - I hope you are OK. I thought your book was so interesting. I thought I had had an interesting life but you have had the most amazing career.
My wife and I are due to have lunch with Peter Margesson's widow mid December and she has said there will be an ex'Brocks master there.
i will let you know when I know his name.
Please make contact by PM
Best regards
Sid
(email address removed as this is a public site - MS)