Captain Geoff Wallis

R815614
30th November 2008, 17:35
Does anyone know what happened to Geoff wallis [I] sailed with him three times and he was a smashing man. R815614 Eddie

Jim S
30th November 2008, 19:10
I sailed with Capt Wallis on the new container ship Bayano from May 1972.
He was the first Master on this Spanish built vessel.
I don't know what happened to him as his name has disappeared from Fyffes Line Personnel List from 1980.
I agree with you he was a smashing man.

Jim S
6th December 2008, 17:11
I attach a photo taken on new container ship Bayano in 1972.
Capt Wallis is the one with the brush - The Chief Steward with hose.
The reason they are washing down palm fronds was a strange notion that Capt Wallis had - I believe he had some plan to fashion an awning from this vegetation. Needless to say the venture failed.
Despite such mildly odd ideas he was a fine master to sail with.

janp
21st January 2009, 11:46
I never sailed with Capt. Wallis, however I met him in1971 by pure chance, at a social do. He/or his wife were in the Anglo-Polish Society. I now live in the same town. He had a bad do in (West?) Africa and has never been the same.
I see him most weeks, badly hunched over walking a dog.
I sailed (Junior Engr) in 1969 on the Camito, 1970 on the Patia (taken over from the American Utd Fruit Co/Utd Brands fleet in Bremerhaven) and Tucurinca in 1972.

janp
16th February 2009, 11:04
I never sailed with Capt. Wallis, however I met him in1971 by pure chance, at a social do. He/or his wife were in the Anglo-Polish Society. I now live in the same town. He had a bad do in (West?) Africa and has never been the same.
I see him most weeks, badly hunched over walking a dog.
I sailed (Junior Engr) in 1969 on the Camito, 1970 on the Patia (taken over from the American Utd Fruit Co/Utd Brands fleet in Bremerhaven) and Tucurinca in 1972.

Met up with Mrs Wallis, this weekend at the local shops.
Yes the incident happened in Cristobel (not Africa as I thought).
Geoff never properly recovered. He spends his time, walking the dog and delivering papers. (We have a freebie weekly). She wouldn't go into detail, and I didn't press, so no further news. I don't really know what else to say.

Regards Jan P

R815614
22nd February 2009, 17:21
Met up with Mrs Wallis, this weekend at the local shops.
Yes the incident happened in Cristobel (not Africa as I thought).
Geoff never properly recovered. He spends his time, walking the dog and delivering papers. (We have a freebie weekly). She wouldn't go into detail, and I didn't press, so no further news. I don't really know what else to say.

Regards Jan P

thanks for the information , I think he was on one of the R.boats in cristobal. R815614 Eddie