MV Churchill container ship

MichaelGeorgiou
2nd December 2008, 22:53
I sailed on the Churchill in the November/December of 1989. It had an engine room explosion in Brazil and was wondering if anyone else had any info on this incident. I believe it had been one of the 'Star' ships, possibly Auckland? Not sure.

Thanks

Pat McCardle
2nd December 2008, 23:28
New Zealand Star

ROBERT GIBSON
3rd December 2008, 00:05
I sailed on the Churchill in the November/December of 1989. It had an engine room explosion in Brazil and was wondering if anyone else had any info on this incident. I believe it had been one of the 'Star' ships, possibly Auckland? Not sure.

Thanks

Launched 78 as New Zealand Star ; 86 to Lamports as Churchill ; 91 back to Blue Star as Argentina Star

Bob Gibson

SAmantha Allen
25th March 2012, 04:53
Michael it was Blue Star Line, and I was onboard during the engine room fire in Itajai. I was 3rd Officer Navigation at the time in 1989 or 1990

MichaelGeorgiou
25th March 2012, 09:15
1989 it was. I'd resigned just before it sailed for Brazil. Weird how life works out eh?

Thanks for the info guys.

David Lorimer
21st November 2012, 02:36
Engine room fire in Itajai, all the gubbins for supplying cold air to the conair boxes out, so she sailed for Santos, where we arranged for as much as possible of the reefer cargo to be shifted into a newly built cold storage warehouse adjacent to the container terminal. Early days of crisis management, in a VSA with at least three lines' boxes involved.