Common Brothers 1969 to 1974

Jeff Egan
25th July 2005, 13:23
Anyone out there sailed on Afghanistan,Border Laird, Border Lass, Border fusilier, Warbah, Al Sabiah, Caribbean Endeavour and others

flyer682
25th July 2005, 19:20
Welcome aboard, Jeff. Enjoy the site and what we have to offer. We've had a lot of success in re-uniting old shipmates.
Please take the time to read the thread "Guidelines To Posting" in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. Should help with any questions you may have regarding posting to the Site.

Jeff Egan
25th July 2005, 19:23
Also a Tyne Pilot from 1975 to 2001 if anyone has any questions on Tyne Pilots I will try to answer them

michael james
25th July 2005, 20:21
Also a Tyne Pilot from 1975 to 2001 if anyone has any questions on Tyne Pilots I will try to answer them

Hi Jeff, Firstly welcome to SN, I am sure you will enjoy.

I joined my first ship in January 1958 at Middlesborough and my fellow apprentice on that deep sea trip was from that fair town and was destined to become a Tyne Tees Pilot, I have never heard whether he made it but his name was J. Innes. We only sailed together on that one trip and I did not come across him again throughout my career.

Jeff Egan
26th July 2005, 11:48
Sorry but there's no such thing as a Tyne Tees Pilot but I'm almost sure there is or was a Tees pilot Called Innes

Tony Crompton
26th July 2005, 14:46
Sorry but there's no such thing as a Tyne Tees Pilot but I'm almost sure there is or was a Tees pilot Called Innes

Alistair or "Ally" Innes was indeed a Tees Pilot. He was the last Pilot to go through the Pilots
Apprenticeship which involved serving as apprentice
on the Pilot Cutters then a year or so as apprentice at sea (In Ally's case
with Brocklebank Line). After obtaining a Second Mates Ticket he then waited
until there was a vacancy on the Pilot Service.

From then onwards all new Pilot trainees held Masters Tickets.

My memory does not recall the actual dates but ,sadly ,Ally suffered
from blackouts (fortunately not on a ladder) so had to retire early
and died not very much later. I would guess he would be in his late forties
or early fifties.

Sorry my first posting is on such a sad note.

Tony Crompton

Jeff Egan
26th July 2005, 15:05
I served my apprenticeship on the Tyne before going to sea the apprenticeship system finished in 1970.

trotterdotpom
26th July 2005, 15:11
Hi Jeff

Greetings from an ex 'Smoggie', as I hear us Middlesburgers are known these days.

I sailed on Common Bros' "Iron Crown" in about '69. I recall the 2nd Mate, who's name escapes me, was the son of a Sunderland pilot and was heading in that direction himself.

John T.

Jeff Egan
26th July 2005, 15:14
Did You come across Alan purvis he was a Tyne pilot apprentice who,s first voyage at sea was on the Iron Crown

Tony Crompton
26th July 2005, 15:18
The system ended on the Tees in the mid 60's. I was one of the
first new Pilots with a Masters Ticket and got my licence in 1967.

We were treated worse than First Trip Apprentices by the old Pilots !!!

Jeff Egan
26th July 2005, 15:32
Quite right too. Only joking.

michael james
26th July 2005, 21:51
Tony Crompton,
So sad to hear of your news regarding Alistair Innes, I have passed on your sad news to the then Chief officer on that voyage, when Alistair and I were on ss Mathura (1920 version) in 1958 as Apprentices, we had a long telephone conversation remembering the scrapes Alistair and I got into, including a midnight trip round Addu Attol, Gan Island, in the motor lifeboat with a boat load of very merry officers ! Guess who was running the liberty boat !

dave beaumont
27th July 2005, 13:31
Hi Jeff,
I was a catering boy on Caribbean Endeavour in september 1971. Joined her at Parkstone Quay and went denmark and germany and back to uk. We were in Hamburg to have some repairs. Only people i remember were Dave Haskett, the other catering boy and 2nd steward Collingwood, first name?.I have a couple of photos of her as Carib Trader taken in the 80's. When were you on her ? Is she still afloat?

Jeff Egan
27th July 2005, 13:41
I Joined the Caribbean Endeavour in Hamburg 18th May 1973 and paid off in Miami on 7th November 1973. I was 2nd mate we had a West Indian crew by that time. No idea what happened to her.
Regards Jeff

Dave Edge
28th July 2005, 00:29
"Caribbean Endeavour" was renamed "Baby 1" in 2000 and sold that year to Indian breakers. She went through several names between her first and last. I served my time with Common Brothers between 1963-67. Did you ever come across Eland Dunn, Mike Cobb, Eric Judge or Wilfie Box, all deck officers, or 'Tab' Miles, C/E?

trotterdotpom
28th July 2005, 00:53
Did You come across Alan purvis he was a Tyne pilot apprentice who,s first voyage at sea was on the Iron Crown

Sorry Jeff, don't recall the name. I only did a few months on her in 1970. Looked at my Discharge Book and Captain's signature looks like W. Woodman. I mentioned him before on the site - he was on the first ship to be sunk by 'Graf Spee' and was a prisoner on her and on 'Altmark'

One memory from the ship is heading south to Brazil and passing the 'Great Britain' being towed north to UK from the Falklands. About a month later we overtook her again as we too were heading north. About the only time an 11 knot ore carrier overtook anything except another ore carrier!

John T.

Jeff Egan
28th July 2005, 11:38
I sailed with Wilfie Box on the Border Fusilier in 1968 he was the old man his wife and twins were on the ship. I was only there for a month as extra third mate while the ship was on the coast, I paid off at the Isle of Grain on the 17th December and joined the Border Lass 0n the 18th December in Rotterdam her third mate was taken off sick.

Jeff Egan
28th July 2005, 11:41
Alan Purvis joined the Iron Crown at the Iron Ore Berth Tyne Dock in August 1968 and was in her till Summer 1969, he was a month ahead of me when we served our time as Pilot apprentices and we both joined Common Brothers.

dave beaumont
31st July 2005, 13:56
Has anyone or does anyone know where I can get a picture of Caribbean Endeavour

Jeff Egan
31st July 2005, 20:00
Searched for a picture of the Caribbean Endeavour but no luck so far
Regards Jeff

Geordie
17th November 2005, 23:08
Jeff
sailed on the Ria Jean Mcmurtry in 74, trying to find a picture of her, also the history of common bros and a list of ships if poss, my father sailed with the company many moons ago, also what was the company flag or insignia and funnel colours, its over 30 years and the memory fails me. Kind regards Geordie

gdynia
18th November 2005, 00:03
Jeff
Heres a few Common Bros names for you from the past, Alan Lagay,Peter Johnstone,Willy Fitzsimmons,George Wilkie all as SS College in 70,s

Jeff Egan
18th November 2005, 10:52
Common bros were mainly a ship management company so the ships had many different funnels. The strictly commons funnel was black with from the top a thin white band then thick red band followed by a thin white band there was a large white "C" on the red band, there is a black and white picture of the Afghanistan in my gallery which shows this. Other funnels were the Lowland tanker Co.Ltd which had a tartan band with "BP" shield. The Kuwait oil tanker Co see pictures of Warbah in my gallery.

Kasia
18th November 2005, 19:44
Was it Common Brothers who managed the ice breaking vessel Nimos who spent best part of her career in the Pacific

Jeff Egan
18th November 2005, 20:02
I dont think so, but am not 100%

Dave Edge
19th November 2005, 00:53
Common Brothers managed the "Nimos" 1968 to 1977. Built in 1968 as "Berkel" for Home Line, a Common Brothers subsidiary, and renamed for charter to Hillerstrom's Australia-West Pacific Line service. At the end of charter sold Swedish owners and renamed "Cinderella", in 1981 sold Livestock Transport & Trading of Kuwait and converted into the livestock carrier "Al Messilah". 1990 sold to Vroon B.V. and renamed "Holstein Express", 18 November 2002 arrived Alang for breaking up.

jack higginson
9th January 2006, 23:42
Does Anyone Remember A Third Mate On The Border Minstrel Named Bob Findley Who Came From Sandbank Near Dunoon. He Swailed With Me Doing Tw0 Trips From Aug 1955 To March 1956. I Was The Sparks From Manchester.

mick Wright
9th January 2006, 23:53
The Kurdistan Common Bros tanker was my very first ship, joined her in Falmouth as a catering boy,lovely title,it took 6 weeks and several engine breakdowns to reach Sydney,Oz.
We also called at Balik Papan a few straw huts in the the new Indonesia.
Mick Wright

Jeffers
10th January 2006, 11:44
I was a deck cadet on the Border Pele in 69/70.
Sailed under two captains, one was William? Box, can't remember the other.
The second mate was Robert Brown, he was planning to emigrate to Australia, I wonder if he ever went? The first mate was from the west country, and, if I remember correctly, was call Alexander Dalrymple. Third mate was named Hinchliffe, I can't remember his first name.
We had a good trip, we went to the USA, Argentina, East Africa, the Gulf, Japan and Australia. I remember that we made our own Monopoly game, dyeing strips of paper to make the money! We must have been bored!

sfmillsy
1st February 2006, 21:57
The Nimos was on the Aussie Coast for a long time in her career. She was THE ship to get on if you served with Common Brothers.
She officially sailed under Home Line Ltd but was managed at that time by Commons. Buff Funnel with red topping and White H on blue flag (if my memory is right)
I had a great 6 months on her running between Sydney, Brisbane, Port Moresby and Lae in 1975.
She was built in Sweden and did have an icebreaker bow. she also had bowthrust,variable pitch propellor and rear side loading door on the port side? for loading vehicles. Tweendecks in all 4 holds.
She had 4 hatches with rear accomodation. Hatches were served by 4 Haaglund hydraulic cranes.
I have some photo's in my collection but unfortunately not in digital form.
The old man was I.B Sparham and another guy whose name escapes me. Joe Fox was the mate and I will no doubt remember other names as I think about them.
(Addition on 5/2/06. The radio officer was Danny Hinchcliffe who had , I beleive, started out as a deck officer. He had been on the ship's books for a long time and the Nimos was his 'home' ship)
We had regular friends in Sydney where a BBQ, parties and football matches were the order of the day when not working. No 10 Darling Harbour ws a regular berth....How that has all changed now.
We had Chinese crew who were spot on. Chinese New Year was dodgy, we had our glasses topped up no matter what was in them, beer, gin, rum ,whiskey. I particularly remember one 17 year old deckhand who was huge and went by the name of Ho Ping.
Better stop gassing for now.

All the best
Steve Mills

sfmillsy
20th February 2006, 21:17
Yes,
Common Brothers did manage the Nimos. There is a picture of her in the gallery. Its one I took in Port Moresby.

All the best
Steve Mills

rob15
26th February 2006, 14:01
Anyone out there sailed on Afghanistan,Border Laird, Border Lass, Border fusilier, Warbah, Al Sabiah, Caribbean Endeavour and others
hi jeff i sailed on the Border Lass in 1961 as jnr .eng then down Vicker Armstrongs Naval Yard as plant elec good ship to be on plenty of break downs water leaks ,ran rom the Tyne to Swansea to Avonmouth to Barry to Port De Bouc France to Ceuta Moroco to Wadi Farran to LasPalmas{bunkers}to Perth Amboy New Jersey to Aurba to Maracaibo to Amsterdam to isle of Grain to Tyne Shell were i left the vessel good second from Newcastle great skipper but cheif terrable from Scotland now live in Cumbria.left the yards after 5 years and started as a lift eng. with Express lifts as a senior eng.then to Cumbria as a resident eng.covering the lake district and all the west coast including sellafeild now retired .hope this has been of interest .yours R.S.Gilroy c/o of 60a scalegill place moor row whitehaven cumbria ca243ju best regards R.S.Gilroy. (Thumb)

vic pitcher
5th March 2006, 13:50
Hi Jeff

I was 2nd Mate "Warbah" 1965-66
OM was Duncan Robertson from Edinburgh
Mate Peter Miller from Glasgow.

Re v/l into TDE, I have to admit to it-following adventures in Tees Bay

vic pitcher
5th March 2006, 13:56
Jeff & Dave Edge

I sailed with Wilfie Box in "Border Chieftain" 1964
OM was Dixon
C/E Gordon Tynemouth

Dave, were you the guy who did cartoons for the "Cryer" under the signature "NZ"

Trevor Johnson
19th June 2007, 20:01
I can remember the Nimos, she was a Commons ship, but can't remember much about her.
The old Hindustan of the early 60's spent most of her time in the Pacific on some charter or other, possibly the Nimos took over the same runs.

Dave Edge
20th June 2007, 00:13
Vic,
I recall drawing a number of cartoons aboard various ships but don't remember ever sending any in to the 'Crier'. There was at least one other New Zealander in Commons at the time, a second mate named Woods, his first name escapes me, and there was an engineer who was an accomplished cartoonist and sent in quite a number. I always seemed to get the job of writing the commentary on the ship's movements for the 'Crier', I think on the basis of writing 'Bridge gear tested and satisfactory' in the log book.
Regarding the "Hindustan"; I think she was on tras-Pacific service, was the charterer's name Totem Line?

TIM HUDSON
14th October 2007, 23:40
just seen your message. you are quite right, the Nimos spent many years sailing between sydney and port moresby..... it was very difficult to get a
job in her even though the trips were long ! i think she was launched as the
Berkel or something like that.

Tony Breach
15th October 2007, 10:42
Book:

The Trades Increase by John Lingwood & Kevin O'Donoghue.
(A centenary history of NOREX plc, founded in 1893 as The Hindustan Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., managed by Common Brothers.
Published by The World Ship Society. 1993.
ISBN 0 905617 74 6

An excellent history of Commons & potted histories of the ships owned, part-owned &/or managed from HINDUSTAN (1) 1893 to SPRING DELIGHT 1984 (my last ship) at the start of Kristian Siem ownership.

An excellent photo of CARIBBEAN ENDEAVOUR on page 144 is accredited to Fotoflyte.

You will not be disappointed if you purchase this one.
Tony

vodkaman
14th March 2008, 14:57
i have a pic of the endeavour and the progress . in fact we have pics of most of common bros ships . my father in law was c/e called john george lathan

Mikeirwin
14th March 2008, 19:52
Does anyone remember Jim Weatherston C/O. I sailed with Jim on the Border Fusilier in 1966, then again in 1968 on the Border Minstrel. I wonder if he's still alive, must be 90 if he is.

Mike Irwin (ex app and 3/0).

GRHH
17th March 2008, 23:58
I sailed with Jimmy Weatherston on the Border Shepherd as 1st trip cadet in 1973. He joined in Australia and we thought he looked old then maybe early 60's so if he his still with us he must be mid to late 90's. A very decent man and good fun to sail with. One of the jobs of the cadet who was on watch with him was to rub his tobacco! He always had great tales to tell when in the bar and his eyes were described as being "cloudy with rain at times". He was only on the ship about 3 months and flew home from Dubai. Sandy Buchannon took over from Jimmy.

Lawrie E
21st March 2008, 20:20
Does anyone remember Jim Weatherston C/O. I sailed with Jim on the Border Fusilier in 1966, then again in 1968 on the Border Minstrel. I wonder if he's still alive, must be 90 if he is.

Mike Irwin (ex app and 3/0).

As Splodge used to say," If youl'd have avissed instead of arryared, then you wouldn't have dropped the lahkri in the pani"

rgds
Lawrie E

briangdav
6th September 2008, 09:23
Hi Mike, just by chance was on this site and saw your message - remember me (Brian Gwyn-Davies), I was the junior R/O with Eddie Artingstoll on the Border Fusilier in 1966.

Just celebrating my 60th Birthday and have taken early retirement from BT - saw the light in 1970 and left the sea to work in computers. Went into sales and have enjoyed my time but still think back to the sea going times.

Did you go on to be a Captain?

Cheers,

Brian

WilliamH
6th September 2008, 11:17
There is a mention of cartoonists in this thread at an earlier time. I sailed as J/E on the Iron Crown in 1961, the Second Engineer was a very good cartoonist, I think his name was Stanford Carr, he was from the North side of the river (Tyne) and I also seem to remember he had been in the Mounted Palestine Police force during the troubles prior to the founding of Israel.

borderreiver
12th October 2008, 19:57
Hi
I relived him as chief officer on Border Shephard in Japan sept 1973
Rgds
Chris James

Jan Powell
5th June 2009, 14:21

Hi Dave

My name is Mrs Jan Powell My father was C/E on the caribbean Endeavour sister ship the caribbean progress his name was John George Lathan.

He sadly passed away on July 13th 2002 after a short illness

Jan Powell
5th June 2009, 14:40
Hi William

My father sailed with Stan Carr, my father was a C/E for common Brothers his name was John George Lathan he died after a short illness on 13th July 2002.

My name is Mrs Jan Powell

Jan Powell
5th June 2009, 14:51
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff

My name is Mrs Jan Powell my father was C/E on the Caribbean Endeavour sister ship th Caribbean progress his name was John George Lathan sadly he passed away after a short illness on 13th July 2002.

I have some photo's of the Caribbean Endeavour if you would like please contact me.

Many thanks

Jan Powell

TIM HUDSON
5th June 2009, 16:41
I relieved John on Caribbean Progress which was 'his' ship. he stood by building in Scotland if I remember right. He built a fabulous Officer's Bar which became quite famous in Dodge Island Miami area ! I have a picture of it and I also have a beer tankard with all the ships's Chief Engineers names engraved on it, each Officer having their own tankard. According to it he did 5 voyages on Caribbean Progress.
So sorry to hear of his death.
Regards Tim

Jan Powell
12th June 2009, 13:39
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff

My Name is mrs Jan Powell my father was C/E John George Lathan and he was on the sister ship caribbean progress.

We have photo's of the endeavour if you would like them.

You can contact me though the Private Message system

many thanks

Jan Powell

Jeffers
14th June 2009, 09:50
I know that you are being helpful, but you really shouldn't include your e-mail address and phone numbers in postings. Stick to PM (private message) to keep your personal details secure.

Jan Powell
17th June 2009, 14:17
Hi my name is Mrs Jan Powell Nee Lathan.

My father was C/E on the sister ship to the Caribben Endeavour her name was the caribben Progress.

I have photo's of both the Endeavour and the Progress if anyone is interested

Many thanks

Jan Powell

Jan Powell
17th June 2009, 14:28
I relieved John on Caribbean Progress which was 'his' ship. he stood by building in Scotland if I remember right. He built a fabulous Officer's Bar which became quite famous in Dodge Island Miami area ! I have a picture of it and I also have a beer tankard with all the ships's Chief Engineers names engraved on it, each Officer having their own tankard. According to it he did 5 voyages on Caribbean Progress.
So sorry to hear of his death.
Regards Tim

Hi Tim

Just read your message about the tankard do u mean it is engraved on top the handle with your intial his has a J on top the handle.
Please PM to make initial contact.
Many thanks

Jan Powell

shaun watson
23rd June 2009, 13:09
Hi Common brothers crew members my father served with common bros for some time he was Dennys Watson he was also captin did anyone now or serve with him or my uncle captin tom harrison please get in touch thanks rgds
shaun watson

TIM HUDSON
27th June 2009, 11:27
I sailed with "Tanker Tommy" Harrison on m.v. Leeds (Aug 1975) and used to see him in East Boldon on occasion. A well know character in Common Brothers.
rgds
Tim

shaun watson
29th June 2009, 12:32
did anyone leave or join world wide shipping in hong kong im looking for crew members from world renown 1977?

pilotman
24th August 2009, 23:55
I remember jimmy weatherston sailed with himon the Border Chieftain, a real salty dog who loved ships that was in 75/76 he was near retirement then so .

iain48
31st August 2009, 11:36
Looking at my late fathers discharge book a lot of voyages state FGN then RA I know FGN is foreign going but what does RA mean.
Incidentally he was Hugh McArthur (Chief Steward) last ship Simonburn paid off 15/11/81 and he went on to have a good long retirement.

K urgess
31st August 2009, 11:57
That would be "Running Agreement" probably, Iain.
Means people signed on and off as required in foreign ports when their time was up but the articles were only closed once a year or similair time period..

borderreiver
31st August 2009, 12:26
I was on the Simonburn 1980. she was sold that voyage after a collision in the Baltic.She was at the time stopped in the ice. then took a cargo of cut timber.drydocked in Spain and sold commons crew left her.

kevinmurphy
31st August 2009, 19:57
I was on the Simonburn 1980. she was sold that voyage after a collision in the Baltic.She was at the time stopped in the ice. then took a cargo of cut timber.drydocked in Spain and sold commons crew left her.

Chris
I was one of the two cadets on that voyage (March(hartlepool) to May (Cartagena) 1979) Old Man was Brian Crombie,Pete Dowde 2/m then Pete Hall, Lindsay Milne 3rd Mate, flying Officer Hibberd The mad sparky,we hit the lock in the Kiel Canal( the one time in my life when the old man gave an order the opposite to the pilot, otherwise we would have burst through the gates).
Not a bad trip plenty of time in port, an interesting game of football with the russian ship in Algiers!!! Then the Denholm Maclay O/M who kept biting people at the handover BBQ, some trip,
Regards
Kev

borderreiver
31st August 2009, 22:07
Kev
It was certain a mad trip with shot fired from shore into the smoke roomleaving a buttlet hole. Breaking out of the ice in the Baltic and that football match getting the Russian commsire drunk.

oct59ore
13th March 2012, 22:09
Hello All,
I was called to the MV Caribean Progress, the year I do not remember. There had been a fire in the engine room and she limped into Las Palmas where she was repaired. I was involved in the electrical repairs.
I am looking for a photograph of the vessel. Can anyone help.

steve broadbridge
17th April 2012, 15:56
[QUOTE=rob15;41101]hi jeff i sailed on the Border Lass in 1961 as jnr .eng then down Vicker Armstrongs Naval Yard as plant elec good ship to be on plenty of break downs water leaks ,ran rom the Tyne to Swansea to Avonmouth to Barry to Port De Bouc France to Ceuta Moroco to Wadi Farran to LasPalmas{bunkers}to Perth Amboy New Jersey to Aurba to Maracaibo to Amsterdam to isle of Grain to Tyne Shell were i left the vessel good second from Newcastle great skipper but cheif terrable from Scotland now live in Cumbria.left the yards after 5 years and started as a lift eng. with Express lifts as a senior eng.then to Cumbria as a resident eng.covering the lake district and all the west coast including sellafeild now retired .hope this has been of interest .yours R.S.Gilroy c/o of 60a scalegill place moor row whitehaven c

hi there, i sailed on the Afghanistan around 1970/71, I cant remember many names just events. I know we lost a man in the Belle Isles Strait, such a shame. Just wondered if anyone out there may know me. Steve Broadbridge ( galley boy) cook was Claud.

Bill Hardy
18th May 2012, 12:23
Hi Jeff,I sailed with Common Brothers in the early sixties.I sailed on the Border Reiver,the Border Hunter, and the Afghanistan.

Bill Hardy
18th May 2012, 15:25
I replied to a thread earlier but as I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers I wonder if it was sent,Anyhow,I sailed with Common Brothers in the early sixties.I served my appreniceship with an engineering company that did a lot of work fo Swan Hunters on Wallsend.I worked on the Border Reiver while she was in dry dock and decided I wanted to go to sea.After joining Common Bros.my first ship was the Border Reiver!I was on this ship for 11 months then sailed on the Border Hunter for nearly same length of time.I later sailed on the Afghanistan before I left because of family problems.I doubt if many of my old shipmates will still be around but it would be nice to think so and to get in touch with them again

borderreiver
18th May 2012, 17:23
I replied to a thread earlier but as I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers I wonder if it was sent,Anyhow,I sailed with Common Brothers in the early sixties.I served my appreniceship with an engineering company that did a lot of work fo Swan Hunters on Wallsend.I worked on the Border Reiver while she was in dry dock and decided I wanted to go to sea.After joining Common Bros.my first ship was the Border Reiver!I was on this ship for 11 months then sailed on the Border Hunter for nearly same length of time.I later sailed on the Afghanistan before I left because of family problems.I doubt if many of my old shipmates will still be around but it would be nice to think so and to get in touch with them again

We must have met up some time on the Reiver There was three os apprentice I did a 24 month trip

Bill Hardy
21st May 2012, 12:17
Hi. the only apprentices I remember was one from Truro and the other from Scotland somewhere.The engine room apprentices were Jack Stronach and Mike Murfield.

Bill Hardy
21st May 2012, 13:47
(Ouch)So what has happened to all the engineers that sailed in the early sixties wit(Ouch)h Common Bros.have they all passed away?

washport
21st May 2012, 18:03
Hi Michael this my first post but according to my book "History of Tees Pilots"
there was a A.H Innes on No 5watch looking at the photo a tallish well built
chap could that be him????
derek henderson

Les Gibson
21st May 2012, 22:05
Bill,
I was 'lecky on the Afghanistan and Iron Crown during 1962-1963. Chief on the Afghan was Eric Winstanley he had been on arctic convoys during WW2. On the infamous PQ17 as an artificer in the RN. I remamber Les Cussiter as 3rd mate. John Piggot as mate. 3rd engineer on Iron Crown was Gilbert Law from Wallsend, went on to murder his wife Anne. it was in all the local papers in the 60s. Other names a bit vague now although Albert Leblond was second on the Afghan when I joined in Newport Feb. 1962. Super company great blokes good feeders. Left them to go with Bankline and that's when it all went downhill.
Take care.
Les

oct59ore
22nd May 2012, 20:46
Bill,
I was 'lecky on the Afghanistan and Iron Crown during 1962-1963. Chief on the Afghan was Eric Winstanley he had been on arctic convoys during WW2. On the infamous PQ17 as an artificer in the RN. I remamber Les Cussiter as 3rd mate. John Piggot as mate. 3rd engineer on Iron Crown was Gilbert Law from Wallsend, went on to murder his wife Anne. it was in all the local papers in the 60s. Other names a bit vague now although Albert Leblond was second on the Afghan when I joined in Newport Feb. 1962. Super company great blokes good feeders. Left them to go with Bankline and that's when it all went downhill.
Take care.
Les
Hi Les, I joined the Afghanistan as lecky 1960 30th May and served for 11 months and I joined the Iron Crown in 1961 28th July and served for 6 months. Albert was 2nd on the Afghanistan for some of the time I was with her, old George was the mate, C/E was Ray Woods. Good ships good food good crowd of lads.

Bill Hardy
24th May 2012, 11:12
Hi Les,I remember reading about Gilbert.I was just a junior engineer on the Afghanistan.Excellent feeder Chinese crew.Shitty B&W engine was a Doxford copy which had been modified to exhaust top piston after Doxford sued B&W for breach of copyright.Had a scavenge fire quite often!!

Les Gibson
24th May 2012, 16:45
Hi Bill,
Yes the dreaded scavenge fires!! once or twice a week.I seem to remember a length of hose connected to the the co2 system? and this would be jammed into the scaveenge drain whilst running at reduced revs. Remembered another name from the Afghan: George Boxer 4th engineer.
George the old mate mentioned above was Estonian I believe, rarely if ever went ashore abroad I think he had passport problems, was he what we used to call a 'Displaced Person'? As you say the feeding was excellent. Just as good on the Iron Crown with a white crew. Can you imagine the shock to the system when I went to Bankline?

Supern
27th May 2012, 08:06
My husband was with Common Brothers in the early sixties, he was a cadet, know he was on the Border Reiver and his name is Gordon Scott. Now lives in Aus and unfortunately just diagnosed with mesothelioma, thanks merchant navey, its treatable though.

Bill Hardy
27th May 2012, 11:12
Hi Supern I don,t remember Gordon.I was on the Reiver until Sept.1962.I am surprised that all the engine room crew did,nt get mesothelioma after remembering the asbestos dust cloudsn that floated around the boiler room,especialy noticed if the access doors to the after deck were open and the sun was shining!!

borderreiver
27th May 2012, 18:16
I was deck app on the Border Reiver from 23 march 1962 to 14 aug 1963.
Do not rember any engine app

Supern
27th May 2012, 22:21
I was deck app on the Border Reiver from 23 march 1962 to 14 aug 1963.
Do not rember any engine app

He was on Border Laird in 62, Border Reiver August 63 - 65

Cadet on Laird and Junior on Border Reiver

James is his first name, he is always wondering what happened to the cadets he was with.

Michael Taylor
28th May 2012, 13:04
I did not sail for Common Bros. but remember their daughter Sally and the gull wing Merc. They were my neighbors in Stocksfield, Northumberland!

Bill Hardy
28th May 2012, 15:15
The engine room apprentices on the Border Reiver in 1961/2 were Michael Murfield from Whitby and John Bonner.John lodged with my gran in Wallsend whilst he was going to South Shields Marine tech.

borderreiver
28th May 2012, 15:31
The deck gadgets before me were Keith Farrow from Hull and Mike Smith who later was master with Silver Line.
Believe both were Trinity house Hull guys

Supern
29th May 2012, 05:21
We have a lot of photos I will get around to putting them on the site soon.

Gordon joined Reiver in August 63.

He sailed with cadets, Fred and Jellico

Mikeirwin
2nd July 2012, 18:35
Hi Bill,
Yes the dreaded scavenge fires!! once or twice a week.I seem to remember a length of hose connected to the the co2 system? and this would be jammed into the scaveenge drain whilst running at reduced revs. Remembered another name from the Afghan: George Boxer 4th engineer.
George the old mate mentioned above was Estonian I believe, rarely if ever went ashore abroad I think he had passport problems, was he what we used to call a 'Displaced Person'? As you say the feeding was excellent. Just as good on the Iron Crown with a white crew. Can you imagine the shock to the system when I went to Bankline?

Old George the mate was name, GEORGE SEGAR, he was I believe Russian, and had served his time in sail. I believe Commons had been trying for a long time to try to get George to retire, but he was having none of it. He finally did retire in 1964, I was serving on the 'Afghan' at the time.

Capt Don Maidlow
18th August 2012, 10:26
Hi Jeff,
Border Fusilier was my first deep sea voyage 1960/61. Capt John Morris.
I sailed in Afghanistan, Capts Tinwall and Percy Potts, B.Lass, Al Subiah Capt Pearson, and almost three years [on and off] Caribean endeavour, Capt John Beswick. Made redundant [along with most officers] in 1982.
Have not got used to this web site yet, so hope this reaches you.
V best regards. Don Maidlow.

borderreiver
18th August 2012, 10:34
Percy Potts on the iron barge always port for the week ends.
Sailed with N G Pearson many times Border Reiver,Al Funtas. and many more also John Beswick.

Deadly Hedley
26th June 2013, 11:47
Hi Jeff,
Border Fusilier was my first deep sea voyage 1960/61. Capt John Morris.
I sailed in Afghanistan, Capts Tinwall and Percy Potts, B.Lass, Al Subiah Capt Pearson, and almost three years [on and off] Caribean endeavour, Capt John Beswick. Made redundant [along with most officers] in 1982.
Have not got used to this web site yet, so hope this reaches you.
V best regards. Don Maidlow.

Another name from the past, I sailed as Lecky on the Kurdistan then the Fina B from 1977 for a couple of years. Hope all ok