Houlders Penknife

Corky
6th December 2008, 14:26
Has anyone actually got a "Houlders" penknife? I seem to remember that it was presented after 5 years service, but that seems to have ended by the time I qualified for one. I did get a Rotary wristwatch, engraved on the back, for 10 years service within the FW group.
I think there was a ships decanter for 25 years? I got no-where near that!

vasco
6th December 2008, 14:49
Got knife and watch (somewhere!), still sorting out after a move. Give me 6 months to find it.

non descript
6th December 2008, 16:39
Like Vasco, I can own up to having been given the penkife and the watch, but they they seem to have overlooked the decanter. (EEK)

allan besant
6th December 2008, 17:00
My late dad sailed within the Houlder group for donkey's years, he had all the bits and pieces that they gave him. I got the engraved watch when he passed away in 1990 and to this day it still goes.

marinero
6th December 2008, 19:44
I remember asking Capt. Parkin for my ten year watch and he said "make do with these lad" and gave me two five year penknives. I must say I eventually got my ten watch as well.
Regards(Thumb)

B.Bass
7th December 2008, 04:48
I never got the penknife but I did get the watch which ceased to work shortly before Furness Withy made me redundant,guess that was an omen I should have taken heed of.(lol)(==D)

ALAN TYLER
7th December 2008, 12:20
Am I the lucky one.. penknife,rotary watch, and for offshore work a tankard, tiepin (with minute diamond) and the baby of them all a Rolex for ten years offshore.
Happy Days Alan T.

ChandlerBird
7th December 2008, 16:07
I'm sure we also got a parker pen after 2 years offshore. Was on High Seas Driller when Derick McKay came onboard and gave me mine. Happy to swap it with anyone who's got the Rolex.

marinero
8th December 2008, 11:19
Am I the lucky one.. penknife,rotary watch, and for offshore work a tankard, tiepin (with minute diamond) and the baby of them all a Rolex for ten years offshore.
Happy Days Alan T.

Hi Alan.
You always were a jammy b*****d. Did you enjoy your holiday?
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
8th December 2008, 16:14
Hi Leo, Me jammy! Obviously the great company recognised a true grafter!! Or was it the hairy crew changes by the personnel basket, (health & safety? ) in the early days on the Oregis. Still got the Rolex though it failed a few years ago in a swimming pool in Majorca, only went to a depth of 3 feet!!!. Luckily the insurance payed out...me jammy.
Had a great holiday thanks, heres wishing you all the best for the festive season
Alan & Ann

saltyswamp
8th December 2008, 22:12
Has anyone actually got a "Houlders" penknife? I seem to remember that it was presented after 5 years service, but that seems to have ended by the time I qualified for one. I did get a Rotary wristwatch, engraved on the back, for 10 years service within the FW group.
I think there was a ships decanter for 25 years? I got no-where near that!

I've still got my watch but like you never did get a pen knife.

stuart

norsea
9th December 2008, 14:37
No watch and no penknife,still,after nearly 30 years ashore I am still the
proud posessor of a "Houlders 25 Club" tie.

George Simpson
11th June 2009, 18:11
I still have my 9yrs Rolex and it works(Thumb) I annoyed JMH with letters for months after I was redundant saying if they hadn't got rid me I would have made the 10yrs. Eventually I got a phone call from WJC telling me to pick up my watch and stop annoying the old man lol and it has been engraved with the dates 1976 to 1985. [=P]

non descript
11th June 2009, 18:35
No watch and no penknife,still,after nearly 30 years ashore I am still the
proud posessor of a "Houlders 25 Club" tie.

Did you wear the tie to the Houlders 25 Club Lunch at The George this year?
(Thumb)
Mark

George Simpson
11th June 2009, 18:44
Mark I was never in the 25 year club but I do still have a Houlders tie somewhere. The pen knife is somewhere about the house 2 and all the other pressies us softies in the offshore side of the company :-) A beautiful engraved decanter which still has pride of place in the wife's show off posh cabinet.