Joya McCance - 1960 Ore-Carrier

tanker
12th May 2005, 11:25
Joya McCance was one of two ore carriers (the other was Mabel Warwick (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=1694&highlight=mabel+warwick) )ordered from William Grey,by Ore Carriers Ltd., Managers - Houlder Broters. 11632 g,t. Doxford diesel by C.M.E., 5500 b.h.p. 13 knots.

Shipbuilder
22nd July 2005, 20:04
I sailed in JOYA MCCANCE, sister ship to MABEL WARWICK in 1962, had a great time despite awful run to West Africa (Pepel & Conakry) and once across to Seven Islands, Canada. That would not have been so bad but it was fog all the way and horn going every few minutes, then loaded 15,000 tons in less than two hours and back to sea again where we returned to newport and layup. I went to an Everard's Yellow Peril after that and had an even better time.

chadders
26th March 2006, 11:43
The Joya McCance became the ST. Margaret and continued the BISCO charter, my first ship in 1968 Middlesboro to Monrovia with Paddy Slevin. She was also my first ship as 2nd Mate in 1973. She would roll on wet grass. Remember leaving Glasgow New Years Eve '73 for Seven Islands and loading in 35 minutes, good news it was -40!!

dnobmal
26th March 2006, 18:44
Saw both those ships on the slip being built in Grays yard as I stayed there when on leave sometimes in those days and also spent some time on the Baltic timber run to Union dock Hartlepools so we passed through the Middle dock . Hartlepools was a very busy small port, they were also building for Livarnos in those times,pity those times never stayed with the UK

non descript
26th March 2006, 20:05
The Joya McCance became the ST. Margaret and continued the BISCO charter, my first ship in 1968 Middlesboro to Monrovia with Paddy Slevin. She was also my first ship as 2nd Mate in 1973. She would roll on wet grass. Remember leaving Glasgow New Years Eve '73 for Seven Islands and loading in 35 minutes, good news it was -40!!

Ah yes.. and Paddy Slevin was an interesting man, very kind and hugely able in his own way and if I remember him well, tee-total during his time on board, but not so once en-route back home in his own time, which journey usualy took some time. - Having checked my records I can see I was on board the St Margaret in 1968 and the sister ship, in 1970.

non descript
18th July 2006, 20:03
It is quite confusing in terms of names, as the original Joya McCance was an ore carrier built in 1960 (sister to Mabel Warwick) and she changed her name to St Margaret in 1966 and sold in 1971. Meanwhile Houlders bought a Norwegian built tanker whilst under construction and retained her named Beauval – she was built in 1964 and changed her name to Joya McCance in 1966 (when the name became available). She was sold in 1976 and broken up.

JohnMac068
13th April 2007, 17:25
Those two ships appear to have been very popular, I sailed in the MABEL WARWICK for 5 months in 68/69. Most memorable trip was with "Dixie" Dean, another fine gentleman, sadly now deceased, we arrived in Seven Islands on Boxing Day 68, the Chief asked if he could shut the Aux. Boiler down for an hour, Capt. Dean said OK, but make it quick. Not quick enough, everything froze up solid. All the deck crew crowded into one cabin, and other depts the same, trying to keep warm. The showers froze, the valves smashed, the toilets froze, pipes split everywhere. We had to get a gang of French Canadians out to help unfreeze the ship. Can't remember the temperature, but it was bl***y cold. After loadind, on the way back to Newport, we found water in the holds, Capt.White attended in Newport, we did a hose test on the hatch lids, he needed oilskins on standing in the holds.

Shipbuilder
10th June 2007, 20:29
I have not looked at this thread for some time, but was pleased to hear a mention of Captain Neil. He was in command of JOYA MCCANCE when I joined her in Shields for my 2nd voyage to sea as jnr R/O. My first voyage had been a miserable affair aboard the RHODESIA STAR, a very fine ship, but a handful of the officers left no stone unturned to make life awful for me. Joining JOYA MCCANCE was like a ray of sunshine. The officers & crew were all a fine bunch of seamen & the welcome I received was never forgotten. Captain Neil spoke to me longer on my first day than the captain of RHODESIA STAR did on a voyage to Aussie & back. I would love to hear from anyone who sailed in the JOYA MCCANCE at that time - 5th April 1962 to 25th June 1962. If it were not for that ship, I would have quit the sea. As it was, I remained in the MN until late 1992! The ship laid up in Barry and most of them transferred to MABEL WARWICK, but my six months sea time was up & I couldn't go - but went to FREDERICK T. EVERARD instead - another fine ship. Captains Brown & Trethewy. I last visited her from the REINA DEL MAR in Southampton six years later.
I never saw JOYA MCCANCE again after leaving her!
Bob

non descript
10th June 2007, 22:59
Bob, it is good to see that Houlders lived up to their reputation - all in all a decent, hard working but very decent set of people. (Thumb)

non descript
7th December 2008, 14:42
Alan, your (correct) posting of today jogged my memory that it was time that Joya McCance (the Ore-Carrier) had her own thread, as some of the postings are in danger of getting mixed up with the Steam Turbine Tanker of the same name. - To this end I have copied such postings as are useful and refer solely to the Ore Carrier, into a new thread - but I used an initial posting way back by Tanker in 2005 and made a slight edit to start it off.

My apologies to Tanker for taking that liberty, but also my thanks to him, we now have a fresh thread, albeit apparently started in 2005 (EEK)