Zim Israel Navigation Company

China hand
7th December 2008, 19:23
Anyone got any decent pictures of Shomron, Mazal or Anat? I've sailed on all, but still only have limited "nice views".

duquesa
7th December 2008, 19:46
Also looking for one of Zim bulker "Elat" mid 60's. If you know of one I would appreciate being pointed in that direction as she is about the only one of my ex ships I haven't got a pic of. Good luck with yours.

China hand
7th December 2008, 23:06
Also looking for one of Zim bulker "Elat" mid 60's. If you know of one I would appreciate being pointed in that direction as she is about the only one of my ex ships I haven't got a pic of. Good luck with yours.

Got one. I was mate on her in 1971 for a fill in between "Anat"and "Etrog". I'll jiggle the knobs and see if I can get it to you.

duquesa
7th December 2008, 23:52
That would be fantastic. I was 2/0 on her in the sixties.(Thumb)

callpor
8th December 2008, 15:30
In the Zim/Ofer Shipping Group office in Haifa all last week doing some consultancy work , I was and amazed to see how many builders models they have of their vessels both old and new. Obviously interested in the company history. They must have archived photographs of their old vessels and I'm sure they would respons positively to a request for information. You can get contact details from their website www.oferg.com .

Monket
8th December 2008, 16:31
Couple here
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20S/slides/Shomron-01.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20M/slides/Mazal%20II-01.html

China hand
9th December 2008, 20:31
Couple here
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20S/slides/Shomron-01.html

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20M/slides/Mazal%20II-01.html

Thanks for those. checked up. MAZAL is the one I really want, this is MAZAL 11. But I'll get there some time. Thanks again.

James Clarke
7th June 2010, 16:03
Hi China Hand

I don't know if you saw *this - which I found somewhere and could only paste into a Word document. Let me know if this is the one you wanted. I served briefly on the mv Mazal in 1973 on the Eastern Med - East Coast US route.

*I tried attaching the Word doc with a photo embedded and the system refused on file size grounds. If you send me your e-mail address I will reply with the document/photo.

Please send a Private Message for email address.

James
ex-R/O Rivka, Devora & Mazal.

Ron Stringer
7th June 2010, 17:43
Back in the early 1970s I did builder's sea trials on the 'Zim Montreal' from Bremer Vulkan. Each day there was a problem in the engine room - sand in machinery etc. since it appeared that a number of workers at the yard had somewhat anti-semitic tendencies. At the time there was a lot of problems with a terrorist group known (in the British Press at least) as Black September.

In the saloon one lunchtime, one of the Zim officers went to add salt to his meal and the top of the salt cellar came off, dumping its contents onto his lunch. Some wag from the yard said, 'Schwarze September' and the place burst into fits of laughter.

I left before the ship was handed over to Zim but never heard whether anyone was found responsible for the sabotage aboard during the sea trials (I mean in the engine room, not the saloon). Never quite understood why the Israelis would give an order to a German shipyard when there were so many alternatives around.

James_C
7th June 2010, 17:49
Ron,
Zim may have received a subsidy or some other kind of incentive to build in a German yard.
This certainly wasn't uncommon for a good few decades post WW2 when the German Govt went to great lengths to assist Israel both materially and militarily.

Ron Stringer
7th June 2010, 19:45
I suspect it was some sort of reparation for what went on in 1930s/'40s. Don't know what happened to the ship and never saw a photo of her since. Maybe she never got over all the sabotage attempts!

Billieboy
7th June 2010, 19:49
Back in the early 1970s I did builder's sea trials on the 'Zim Montreal' from Bremer Vulkan. Each day there was a problem in the engine room - sand in machinery etc. since it appeared that a number of workers at the yard had somewhat anti-semitic tendencies. At the time there was a lot of problems with a terrorist group known (in the British Press at least) as Black September.

In the saloon one lunchtime, one of the Zim officers went to add salt to his meal and the top of the salt cellar came off, dumping its contents onto his lunch. Some wag from the yard said, 'Schwarze September' and the place burst into fits of laughter.

I left before the ship was handed over to Zim but never heard whether anyone was found responsible for the sabotage aboard during the sea trials (I mean in the engine room, not the saloon). Never quite understood why the Israelis would give an order to a German shipyard when there were so many alternatives around.

Ron, at the time Bremer Vulkan were the best box boat builders in the world, the prices were low too. As James C said, there were special subsidies also available to Zim as part of WWII reparation.

duquesa
7th June 2010, 19:51
The "Elat" and her two sisters were certainly built under the reparation agreement. There were many others. All the grain we carried on those vessels from US to Israel was gifted from Uncle Sam.

chadburn
7th June 2010, 22:03
The Israeli Shipping Companies all worked the same way as far as I am aware in so far as the down payment came from Israeli Government subsidies, they then leased the vessel whilst in build and then took out a mortgage loan to cover the rest of the construction cost's with the lease as the security until the loan is paid for in our case by Krupps who chartered the vessels and we shipped Ore under the Krupps houseflag. It is quite true that the Germans were not happy chappies as there was a number of "incidents" when our crew bumped into a German crew whilst on a run ashore, I always understood that the contract with Krupps was reparation based.

radiotech
20th November 2011, 00:02
I was on m v Tsedek around 1971 and I understood there were 3 other ships in her class that were give to Isreal from Germany - anybody remember the names ? Maybe Haifa? Ber Sheeba? Eilat?.

Ron Stringer
20th November 2011, 00:14
I was on m v Tsedek around 1971 and I understood there were 3 other ships in her class that were give to Isreal from Germany - anybody remember the names ? Maybe Haifa? Ber Sheeba? Eilat?.

Did pre-delivery sea trials from Bremer Vulkan yard on the "Zim Montreal" late 1972. Sorry can't be more specific about the dates, just remember it was after the Munich Olympic Games.

R396040
20th November 2011, 17:58
I sailed on the PAVIA of Cunard Line in the sixties on a ZIM LINE charter to the Far east from Eilat. Have a photo of her with Zim line funnel colouring. It was a good trip I recall. Captain was Skye Robbie (Robertson) Mate was Peter Brush any crew still around ?
Stuart (George)Henderson P/CS

James Clarke
22nd November 2011, 16:49
Does anyone know if an Association of former Zim Israel Navigation Staff has ever been set-up for former Zim people like us?

I am hoping to visit Haifa sometime in the future and wondered if there are any contacts there and/or any arrangements for meeting up with those (still alive) with whom I served during those "interesting" times.

James Clarke
e: beached.hut@gmail.com

chadburn
23rd November 2011, 16:00
James, I think I would take a moment to ponder on your proposed visit as I fear there may be more "interesting" times to come. If Assad realises he is going to lose in his battle's with the Sunni-Muslims he is likely to divert attention by attacking Israel. The West will become involved if battle commences between Israel and Nuclear armed? Iran. As I indicated in another posting there will unfortunatly alway's be War's and I fear that it will not be too long before the Middle East flare's up again as it did in our day's of "interesting" previous employment.

callpor
23rd November 2011, 17:35
Does anyone know if an Association of former Zim Israel Navigation Staff has ever been set-up for former Zim people like us?

I am hoping to visit Haifa sometime in the future and wondered if there are any contacts there and/or any arrangements for meeting up with those (still alive) with whom I served during those "interesting" times.

James Clarke

James,

Have sent you a private email with some current ZIM contacts names and email addresses. These may/may not help you in your search, but may know if there is an association of ex staff. At least may give you a point of contact if visiting Haifa - maybe even a visit to the new ZIM HQ (very smart).

Chris Allport

China hand
23rd November 2011, 19:30

James Clarke

Hi James,
Don't know about a staff association, but I was there a while. Shomron, Anat (for oinks), Elat, Etrog, Mazal. All as 1st Mate.
Joined '68, left ,'73 (when the unions started being really bad). Good times. Was a while on the Gold Star Far East - Africa service, the rest on Israel-Med-US n back. A lot of bitachon work with Anat. Bill Sawers died last year at a good old age of 90+, probably with a golf club in his hands.
China hand