Improve your photographs, EASILY.

donald h
9th December 2008, 10:20
Hi Guys,
Just a quick hint to help you all get the best and almost instant improvements from your (especially) old, faded or dis-coloured memories. There is free down-loadable software out there to help you with this task, namely PICASA from GOOGLE. I see many photos on the site which are obviously precious to the poster and are a delight to be shared with all the users on the site. This is history being retained and shared after all, rather than being lost for all time.
Several have orange hues or are faded out due to the passing of the years, like all of ourselves perhaps!! In PICASA, these faults are easily fixable by yourself without the expense of using high-street photo recovery services, as there are a variety of tools available at your fingertips to help you, and the software is very easy to use.
You will be amazed at the new lease of life your photographs can have when you thought they were tainted forever. I`m not advertising on behalf of any of these companies, however, this free software is just too good not to pass the details on, and for everyone to take advantage of it.
regards, Donald

billyboy
9th December 2008, 10:34
Thanks for that Donald. My personal choice is "XN VIEW" free off the net and simple to use.

marinero
9th December 2008, 11:33
Hi Donald.
I already use that and find it very helpful as you say.
Regards(Thumb)

K urgess
9th December 2008, 11:48
Thanks for the tip, Donald.
I've moved your post to the appropriate forum and as you can see there are quite a few threads on the subject.
Picasa is very good but I've found others that are better.
It's always a matter of personal choice.
Cheers
Kris

benjidog
9th December 2008, 21:18
Picasa is useful if you don't have a good software package like Photoshop and has the enormous benefit of being free.

A couple of words of warning though:

Always keep copies of your original photo and save edited version separately - if you make a mistake or go over the top with your "improvements" you need to be able to go back to the starting point.
Picasa offers all sorts of facilities for categorising your photos, adding comments etc. I am not saying you shouldn't use it, but bear in mind that if you move to some other photo album type software in the future, the data you have added will almost certainly not be portable to your new software and you will have to start over again. However if you save your data in a spreadsheet you can use it on any machine and with any software. Not so functional I admit but if you have entered data on thousands of photos as I have you don't want to have to start again from scratch

donald h
10th December 2008, 09:29
Thanks guys for your comments. The initial thread was intended mainly for those without the confidence or knowledge to use the in-depth, bells and whistles type software out there which is very good indeed. However, until a bit of experience is gained in this field they leave many newer users completely baffled.