Ocean Building Singapore.

Succour
13th December 2008, 10:25
Can any of the Members throw light on the History of this Building. I do know it was built around the early seventies under Lee Kwan Yew's Premiership, and had a connection with Ocean Fleets and of course the History of Alfred Holt.
On a recent visit to the Building, about 200 yards on the left from Clifford Pier, I discovered a commemorative stone bearing the AH symbol. There are two stones, one at each end of the Building.
I have attached a photograph for reference.
My wife couldn't understand why I was so chuffed to see this connection with the past. She thinks I am a sentimental old fool. I guess she's right....!

Cheers lads.
Succour.

Graham McMorine
13th December 2008, 16:16
Can any of the Members throw light on the History of this Building. I do know it was built around the early seventies under Lee Kwan Yew's Premiership, and had a connection with Ocean Fleets and of course the History of Alfred Holt.
On a recent visit to the Building, about 200 yards on the left from Clifford Pier, I discovered a commemorative stone bearing the AH symbol. There are two stones, one at each end of the Building.
My wife couldn't understand why I was so chuffed to see this connection with the past. She thinks I am a sentimental old fool. I guess she's right....!

Cheers lads.
Succour.

I reckon the vast majority of the members on here are sentimental old fools mate, regards Graham(Thumb)

R651400
13th December 2008, 16:38

Your good lady is in not too far of the mark!
Blue Funnel ships flew AH as their company flag but Alfred Holt and Company never existed as an operational company. Excepting agents Mansfields and Guthrie plus a tenuous connection to Straits Steamships your Singapore Ocean Buildings with motiff shows a much stronger association now than it was in the past. Any more details?

sylvesterheng
19th January 2009, 06:32
Hi Guys,
This is Sylvester from Singapore.
Middy in 1969 until sr 2/o in 1978 b4 coming
ashore to work with ASCL.
Both Straits/BF co. are long gone, but many fond
memories and friendship are still strong here and
Malaysia.
Even the Ocean Buidling as shown in the photo
is gone (totally demolished in Jan 2009).
The 2 insignias on either ends of the building are
being kept by someone. We are trying to locate
as I heard some of the Ex Keppel staff knows its
whereabouts.
Please keep in touch, we will advice once located.
Tera-lah, Syl

Succour
20th January 2009, 07:55
Syl,
Thanks for the news, I thought Ocean Building would have survived, at least after what they are doing to Clfford Pier.
Will send you an email when I am due to come to Singapore.
I stay in KL now.
Maybe can have a beer and a crack on old times.
Succour.

sylvesterheng
20th January 2009, 08:28
Some of the BF blokes I am
in touch with currently are :
Capt Goh Toh Sek (go-go)
Supt Quek Tee Dhye
Manager Dave Kinrade
Supt Leong Yue Kong
Capt Ang Chin Eng
Capt Chan Bian Aun
Capt Chong Loi Sen
Daniel Lim Tong Beng
Charles Miao in KK
Capt Oh Eng Hoe in KL
Capt Suffian
Capt Ahmad Othman in PK
the list goes on ....

derekbruce
30th January 2009, 16:15
While working with the then Singapore Harbour Board Dockyard knew a number of the Blue Funnel shore staff namely,Jack Thomas,Bob Nevison,Larry Wong,Whos fatherfor was a Bishop in Hong Kong,Doug Litherland and Jack Mair,who was for Straits Steamship.I was also very friendly with Jock Wishart who was C/O on Gorgon And Centaur.Lost thouch with Jock when we left S/pore in the early 70s.If any of you ex Blue Flu know of his present whearabouts i would be pleased to hear from you. Derekbruce

kkchan
21st April 2009, 00:38
Hello Sylvester: Did you attend Singapore Poly around Dec 08?
Captain Milne,as Head of Department?
Did you remember there were about 5 new "cadets" who joined midway and then went on to Blue Flu,Ben Lines etc in Feb 69.

Pertius
8th August 2010, 21:04
Hi
I was a cadet engineer with Ocean T.&T. in the early 70s. and was always told that the building was built, because the british government was thinking of nationisation of the merchant navy. Ocean had the building build so it could move there very quickly, if this was going to happen.
regards
Pertius

Tom Inglis
11th August 2010, 15:13
While working with the then Singapore Harbour Board Dockyard knew a number of the Blue Funnel shore staff namely,Jack Thomas,Bob Nevison,Larry Wong,Whos fatherfor was a Bishop in Hong Kong,Doug Litherland and Jack Mair,who was for Straits Steamship.I was also very friendly with Jock Wishart who was C/O on Gorgon And Centaur.Lost thouch with Jock when we left S/pore in the early 70s.If any of you ex Blue Flu know of his present whearabouts i would be pleased to hear from you. Derekbruce

Hi Derek, I am sure that Jack Thomas is alive and well. I attended the Ocean Dinner in Liverpool in 2008 and he still looked the same to me as he was in Singapore all those years ago. At that dinner I took a lot of photos and they can be seen on the internet at
[url]http://www.flickr.com/gp/32241143@N06/6058RO
I hope you can get that to work and you will find lots of faces from the past. Jack Thomas is on numbers 0038, 0084 & 0085.
any other Bluie guys might also give this a go.

Regards
Tom Inglis

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11th August 2010, 17:09
Wasn't Bishop Wong in HK himself an ex-Blue Flue man?

makko
12th August 2010, 03:48
a lot of photos and they can be seen on the internet at
[url]http://www.flickr.com/gp/32241143@N06/6058RO
any other Bluie guys might also give this a go.

Regards
Tom Inglis

Tom,
The link doesn't appear to be working - Can you try again.
Rgds.
Dave

Tom Inglis
17th August 2010, 11:57
Tom,
The link doesn't appear to be working - Can you try again.
Rgds.
Dave

Hi Dave, It works for me. If it doesn't come up directly then look at your bottom bar and see the indicater in orange, click on that.
Anybody else tried this? Sucessfully??

Tom

Ken Green
17th August 2010, 17:34
Have tried but link does not appear to be working for me.
Ken

Tom Inglis
17th August 2010, 17:53
Have tried but link does not appear to be working for me.
Ken

OK guys I will have another go at keying in the link if it does not work I don't understand

http:www.flickr.com/gp/32241143@N06/6058R0

Regards
Tom ps why does it not turn blue??

makko
17th August 2010, 21:17
Thanks, Tom. Link is fine now.
Rgds.
Dave