Captains of Colliers

Rentaship
15th December 2008, 22:26
I worked in the agency department of Stephenson Clarke Shipping, mainly in the Blyth office during 1962-1965 and remember some of the names of the Masters of the vessels, mentioned in these pages, that were regular visitors to the port which I looked after.

Barford - Captain Witten
Captain J.M.Donaldson - Captain Topson / Captain Connacher
Chas H. Merz Captain Wright?
Cliff Quay - Captain Moseley Fleet Commodore?
Hackney - Captain McRae. Few 'flatirons' called at the port during my time and I knew Captain McRae as he lived in Seaton Sluice and it was handier for him to pick up monies from the Blyth office.
Lord Citrine - Captain Kellet
Oliver Bury - Captain Connacher / Captain Tudor
Pompey Light - Captain Tudor
Sir Archibald Page - Captain Johnstone
Sir Fon (hopper barge) - Captain Green
Sir John Snell - Captain Richmond
Sir William Walker - Captain Wilson
W.J.H.Wood - Captain Heatherington

Some of the Stephenson Clarke Masters I remember:

Amberley - Captain Black
Arundel - Captain Lawton
Borde - Captain Judge
Broadhurst - Captain Hannah
Findon - Captain Grewar
Heyshott - Captain Pryor
Pulborough -Captain Hansen
Storrington - Captain Pearson

Other vessels that were a regular visitor to Blyth and for whom SC acted as agents for were:

Ballyrory - Captain Ross; Ballyrush - Captain Adair; Firethorn Captain Hegarty; Maythorn - Captain Lavery / Hegarty; Osborne Queen Captain Steeley; Security Captain Wadhams

Can anyone provide info on other Masters and their vessels?

Burned Toast
15th December 2008, 22:33
Try Lance Hislop, I think he will have the information.

Hamish Mackintosh
16th December 2008, 01:28
Surtees of the "Beeding" Stark of the "Seaford" Grifiths of the "Petworth" circa early 50,s

Rentaship
16th December 2008, 11:20
Thanks and appreciated . Before my time but good to add to the history.

trotterdotpom
16th December 2008, 11:42
Stephenson Clarke - Tommy Bone, aka T Bone.

Think I sailed with Hansen on Storrington he was the "man in a suitcase" - did the relieving trip on Storrington and Pulborough (I think) - good bloke.

Duncansby Head was fairly regular in Blyth in the late '60s - Captain was James Grant, a martinet with a Napoleon complex.

John T.

Rentaship
16th December 2008, 16:14
If my memory serves me correctly I first came across him when he left one of the deep sea vessels, might have been the Methane Pioneer that was under management at that time? He joined Pulburough when she was completing building at Blyth. He may well have moved to Rogate when she was newly built too.

captkenn
18th December 2008, 20:00
I worked in the agency department of Stephenson Clarke Shipping, mainly in the Blyth office during 1962-1965 and remember some of the names of the Masters of the vessels, mentioned in these pages, that were regular visitors to the port which I looked after.

Security Captain Wadhams

There were three Capt Wadhams. Bert Senior and Bert Junior. Harold was Bert junior's younger briother.

Harold is dead and I believe both Berts are too.

notnila
18th December 2008, 21:33
Capt. Tommy Callander,"Gosport"
Capt.Bob Purvis,"Lady Charrington"

Rentaship
18th December 2008, 22:49
Harold was with the Security in my time. A Norfolk man. I think that he went on leave and whilst ashore the vessel sank whilst it was anchored in thick fog in River Elbe in 1964. She was raised and broken up in Hamburg.

Rentaship
18th December 2008, 22:52
Remember Callander now but never looked after Lady Charrington. There was also Captain Cooke and I think that he was on the Greathope?

price
19th December 2008, 18:15
I sailed as 2/mate with Harold Wadhams on the Superiority, Joe Gowan was mate, two good coastal shipmasters of the past, great characters and shipmates.
Bruce.

eriskay
19th December 2008, 19:37
Captain Donald Mac Kinnon : M.V. Beeding (1981 - 1983)
Captain John Mac Leod - various 1980s thro 1990s (I think)

Jacktar1
20th December 2008, 04:04
I worked as 2nd mate on two CEA vessels managed by Stephenson Clarke, the "Dame Caroline Haslett" (Capt. Richmond from Barry) and "Sir John Snell" (Capt. Heatherington, a Geordie) both great ships and great captains.
Glan(K)

Rentaship
20th December 2008, 10:42
If it is the same Captain Richmond (Bill?) he transferred to the Dame Caroline Haslett when she was used for cable laying. Only knew him when he was on the Sir John Snell. Not sure where he was from. Likewise with Captain Heatherington only knew him when he was on the W.J.H.Wood. The mate of the W.J.H.Wood at that time was called Featherstone. He did relief on other vessels as Master from time to time.

Trevorw
23rd December 2008, 15:19
Remember Callander now but never looked after Lady Charrington. There was also Captain Cooke and I think that he was on the Greathope?

Robert Cook was captain of "Greathope" in 1956

Trevorw
23rd December 2008, 15:22
Cory Colliers. "Corfleet" regular caller at Blyth, in 1955/56 her Master was, A.G. Waller.

bert thompson
23rd December 2008, 21:43
Chelwood and later Helmwood Captain Jim Clark

bert thompson
23rd December 2008, 21:45
Corburn Captain Waller Captain Granger(Two brothers both Masters with Cory)

Hamish Mackintosh
24th December 2008, 02:04
Capt'n Eoll off the "Polden", went ashore to be a Seaham Harbour pilot, which reminds me. Capt'n Stark of the "Seaford" was heard to remark to the Seaham Harbour pilot after a "hairy' entrance in a bit of a blow,"I don't know why they waste money going to the south pacific to test the atomic bombs, when there are places like this around"

beedeesea
25th December 2008, 12:30
Cory's Corbeach in the 60's: Captain Griffin, (a relieving master was a Captain Sharpe from South Shields). Happy Christmas to all.

bert thompson
25th December 2008, 13:29
Marwick Head Captain Grant

Kinnaird Head Captain Graham (Brother in law Capt Grant ).

joebuckham
25th December 2008, 13:56
bob was my uncle. rumour has it that he attended capt.(dougie) prior's funeral and while the seafaring mourners were swinging the lantern outside the crematorium he collapsed and died

joesoap
25th December 2008, 17:59
I signed on the 'Bowcombe' one of Cory's e d h at Blyth on Feb 1960 paid off W Hartlepool April . I've spent longer on a lookout , however on checking the old book I can't make out the signatures , the top one is a definite E H***d and the lower signature R Joliphur but that too is a guess except for the initials . Between the signs for some strange reason that you may enlighten us on there is very clearly written Eng 2 . I have never noticed that before and no way is it 2nd Eng , surely not . I'm not much help to your question . Now it looks like I'm asking the question if you tie up the name with the dates then that's a possibility .
One thing I remember well it that the old man went on leave for two weeks while we were tied up and our sub dried up long before he came back . Had it not been for the girls in the Golden Fleece , bless em , we woulld have died of dehydration . I remember we did one run to the Thames and back to Hartlepool where she laid up . I got a transfer to Tilbury and joined one of B P s British Star . Then came the strike which was the beginning of the end of the Nostalgic days.

Rentaship
25th December 2008, 19:38
Hi and thanks for that. I strongly suspect that most of the Captains in my time have passed away. It is interesting about Captain Kellet. I think, but am not certain, that he lodged in Blyth for sometime at the Buffalo. The Lord Citrine had a second mate called Owens at that time. Being Welsh he was known as 'Taffy'. He has promoted to CO on occassions but not sure if he held the appropriate certificates! A hell of a nice guy but with a drink a real pain in the backside.

Rentaship
25th December 2008, 19:42
I have turned my mind over re the Bowcombe which was a Stephenson Clarke vessel but keep coming up with a blank. The Master I think was from the Hartlepool / Teeside areas - a very nice man and there is something in my mind that he had lost a son. Last time I saw the Golden Fleece it was still there but all boarded up. The Seven Stars and the Dun Cow are long gone.

holland25
25th December 2008, 20:18
I have a couple of Eng2s in my discharge book and from remembering the circumstances,I think it was when I was the only one being paid off, and without a representative of the BOT being present.

There were usually two signatures, one of the Master and the other an official from the shipping office of the port at which you were paying off.

In one of my cases it says "paid off at sea". It might also have had to do with the fact that I was engaged on "Foreign, Running Articles", which seemed to be popular with the RFA.I was given VG discharges on both occasions.

For the record, and in keeping with the thread, according to my Discharge Book, the Captain of the Corbrae in August 1957, was Galloway, and I believe he lived in Kent at Herne Bay.

Ron Davies
1st January 2009, 19:03
Was the Stevie Clarke agent in Ipswich 1970-74 and knew a a lot of the collier men

I remember them as

Barford - Tudor
Cliff Quay - Moseley, Albert Dale, George Featherstone (catchphrase - I come from Ashington you know!) also Roberts, Hamlani
Capt J M Donaldson - Don Connacher then Tommy Purvis ( always with cigarette holder) , Gordon Williamson as mate and relieving master. Hamlani was on there as Mate sometimes then also on C Quay
Hackney - Macrae
Lord Citrine - Bob Kellett, George Gibson
Oliver Bury - T Purvis was her last UK master. Last voyage left Ipswich beginning Sept 70 for Tyne and sale.
Sir Arch Page - Bill Johnston ( used to spend a lot of time with him in the pub in Ipswich when we would visit the bank to draw crew wages...was very upset when he suddenly passed away...I believe he was dancing at the La Strada club in S Shields).
Sir John Snell - Bill Richmond
Sir William Walker - Bob? Wilson
Sir Johnstone Wright - George Hetherington ( very regular in Ipswich & much remember the huge tweed suits he'd wear when out of uniform. Once we got locked out of the office and he desperately needed to make a phone call so bunked him through the 5 ft high gents toilet window...much to the later amusement of my colleagues).
W J H Wood - Whitton, Danny Battle

Can't remember who was on the Merz...can picture one or two on th flatties but names fading a bit! Danny Battle, a true gent, told me he was on the Fulham 9 ..took her to Bolckow's for scrap.

S.C. vessels

Arundel - Alex Falconer
Pulborough - Lance Pearson or Paddy Atkinson
Rogate - Dougie Prior, Paddy Atkinson also...did a voyage with him in 74. 2nd Mate at time was Alfie Hansen's son.

Remember also Captains Bilton (maybe two of them), Armstrong, Johnson, China

Many more known..always enjoyed working with the collier men.. When one of the vessels was set to leave Ipswich on a Friday, the orders would come through from London and it was often my job to pop down to the ship to pass them on to the Master. Of course, the crew of largely Tyne or Wearsiders were waiting for the agent hoping to hear the destination was Sunderland, the Tyne, or Blyth, they would be trying to get the news as I walked to the bridge amidships.. Of course, I couldn't tell them before the Master, but would kid them on it was Methil or Stettin....at which point there would be no end of cursing of the apparently illegitimate b.....ers in the office in London . Some fell for it hook line and sinker.

Great vessels, great times.

Cheers, Ron

Ron Davies
1st January 2009, 19:37
Another master's name just jumped out at me... Johann Saalman, a Latvian I believe, who was on the 'Harry Dick' .

Once you start thinking about the old days, more memories return...

I now also recall Bill Johnston telling me he was on 'Francis Fladgate' around the second world war time... George Featherstone has similarly said he was on 'Mr Therm'. A couple of colliers I would love to have seen.

Oldest ex collier I can remember seeing was Costicos, ex Lea Grange of 1939, in pretty good condition, passing Istanbul in 1970.

Ron

Rentaship
2nd January 2009, 11:09
Hi Ron

Some interesting movements in that Masters appear on different vessels since my time. Most I think would be through retirement but more kikely through the fleet shrinking as the coal trade began to disapear.

From the various replies that have come back since I put my first post on the subject into Shipsnostalgia a picture emerges as to the movements of the various masters. Oh to get access to the records that I helped to update in the crew department in Newcasle.

Like me, Captain Tudor was a Blyth man, and I last heard of him not too many years back. Featherstone did come from Ashington area and if I remember he smoked cigars.

Ken Cowie was my boss when I was moved to the Newcastle office from Blyth - was he your boss in Ipswich?

There are a few books about that may interest you if you have not seen them. Captain McCrae was co-author of The Steam Collier Fleets. There are books, mainly fleet lists and pictures, on SC and most of the fleets of other Owners.

Peter

oldsalt1
2nd January 2009, 17:51
I joined the Pulborough shortly after she was built in 1965.
Alfie Hansen who lived in North Shields at that time, was the old man, he had been on the Methane Pioneer, (as mate I think)one of the first gas carriers. He later received a gong, possibly the OBE. He then took the Rogate out new.
Two of his sons were with Huntings at that time, one was a mate the other an engineer.
There was a popular song at that time, Alfie, sung by Cilla Black. When the crowd were looking for a sub, they would form a line oustide Alfie's cabin asnd sing "How's about a sub Alfie" I don't know if he was pleased about that or not.
The chief steward on the Pulborough at that trime was Sammy Allen from South Shields. A real gent who sailed with Stevie Clarkes all his life never getting any further south than the Eire. He was on his first ship for something like 17 years and probably never saied on more than ten ships or so throughout his working life.

Ron Davies
2nd January 2009, 20:37
Hi Peter

With promotions and retirements going on all the time they all moved around...gradually the guys off the flatties getting the bigger ships...

I've got the WSS books on the Gas and Electricity Colliers, plus the SC one. Capt Macrae showed me his drafts on the collier book when I was chatting to him in his cabin on the Hackney. I promised to buy the book when he finished it...but of course he passed away so early. Fortunately Mr Waine finished the project..although the initial script I saw seemed to be largely about the people on board the ships and from quite a personal reminiscence viewpoint. Capt Macrae was really nice guy.

And...yes, Ken Cowey was my boss in Ipswich from '72 ...retired a few years ago but lives a few hundred yards from me in Needham Market. Doing fine last time I saw him . Used to call everybody a 'footler' , which of course bewildered all and sundry down here! Despite his age, was a pretty good footballer.

Did you ever meet a chap in your area called Rodney Parker ?.. Not an SC man, but Ken knew him well... worked with me for a while when he was at Fednav in London and I at Navios...then 50% Fednav property..we sat next to each other. Now retired too.

cheers, Ron

Ron Davies
2nd January 2009, 20:45
Collier Coffee & Tea

Is it me , or was the collier beverage of such viscosity that you could stand a spoon up in it. I have strong memories of the hot, sweet drinks with obviously large amounts of condensed or evap milk in it...which made it rather heavy. Strange they should use that, as the colliers were seemingly never more than a day away from port and could have had fresh milk pretty easily... maybe old deep sea habits died hard with the catering staff.

In the office it was generally nicknamed 'Stevie Clarke coffee' ... Never quite as dense on any other vessels!

cheers, ron

Rentaship
2nd January 2009, 23:15
Hi Ron

Ken was my immediate boss when I worked in the Newcastle office. Arthur Coates was in overall charge of the agency department at that time. T.H.Hewitt was the MD at that time. The department got involved in offshore agency and managed Total's operations in Jackson Dock West Hartlepool. It was through that involvement that I came to Aberdeen finally settling here in 1970.

Rodney Parker does not ring any immediate bells with me.

Coffee was the same in the Blyth office - tins of condensed milk - not to my tastes!

Peter

awateah2
2nd January 2009, 23:39
The Master on 'Charles H Merz' in 1965 was Bob Beatty, the Mate Andy Nelson. Master of the 'Ardingly in 1970 was 'Pedler' Palmer
Regards

Ron Davies
2nd January 2009, 23:45
Thanks Peter... when I see him I'll remember you to him.

cheers, Ron

Ron Davies
2nd January 2009, 23:51
The Master on 'Charles H Merz' in 1965 was Bob Beatty, the Mate Andy Nelson. Master of the 'Ardingly in 1970 was 'Pedler' Palmer
Regards
Captain Beatty... that is right.. I remember the name now you have prompted me, thanks

I remember the Ardingly and the Steyning double banked in Ipswich wet dock in about 1968/9 both empty...don't know why...before my time with SC. Believe both too big for the Gasworks there so laying over for some reason. Usual fare for the Gasworks was Beeding, with occasional visit from Seaford, plus Comben Longstaff's W.. brooks

Cheers, Ron

Rentaship
3rd January 2009, 18:13
Ron

Thats great thanks. Another SC captain that comes to mind is 'Clitheroe' but not sure which ship. One of the smaller ones as it was also domestic coal for the south coast - Beeding, Henfield, Totland? Must start putting the info into a spread sheet as some interesting info begining to appear from the various posts.

Hamish Mackintosh
4th January 2009, 02:45
Captain Beatty... that is right.. I remember the name now you have prompted me, thanks

I remember the Ardingly and the Steyning double banked in Ipswich wet dock in about 1968/9 both empty...don't know why...before my time with SC. Believe both too big for the Gasworks there so laying over for some reason. Usual fare for the Gasworks was Beeding, with occasional visit from Seaford, plus Comben Longstaff's W.. brooks

Cheers, Ron
You Have it back aswards the Seaford did most trips to the gasworks, the Beeding did the "new"power station, most trips. I sailed on both of them, and while on the Seaford used to envy the Beeding getting shore power every trip while we had to "survive" with oil lamps after closing time, we are talking about Shoreham aint we?

Ron Davies
6th January 2009, 14:31
Not Shoreham Hamish...Ipswich.

Both the Beedeing and Seaford used to go to the Gasworks inside the Dock - starboard side after you locked in. You may remember there were hydraulic cranes there. Nearest pub - Happy Return, Shiplaunch or Lord Nelson. In the Shiplaunch (on the way to Cliff Quay, the barman was called Sid...a former steward who had signed off Stag Line's Camellia or Cydonia in the 60's and never got past the pub up the road where he seemed to have a rather nice relationship with the landlady.
Cheers, Ron

Hamish Mackintosh
6th January 2009, 17:45
Not Shoreham Hamish...Ipswich.

Both the Beedeing and Seaford used to go to the Gasworks inside the Dock - starboard side after you locked in. You may remember there were hydraulic cranes there. Nearest pub - Happy Return, Shiplaunch or Lord Nelson. In the Shiplaunch (on the way to Cliff Quay, the barman was called Sid...a former steward who had signed off Stag Line's Camellia or Cydonia in the 60's and never got past the pub up the road where he seemed to have a rather nice relationship with the landlady.
Cheers, Ron

Sorry, must have been long after my time aboard them

peter drake
16th January 2009, 18:40
Totland Jan 64 J Johnson July 64 E Robson

Miketyneside
19th January 2009, 15:35
My father, Charles SLEIGHTHOLME, was a Captain with Corys and reguarly sailed out of Blyth in the sixties until his retirement in 1971.
He took the Cormain on a couple of six month charters up to the Baltic and also made a few trips with the Corstar/Corsea/Corstream down the Med.
He took over as Captain of the Corbeach on Captain Griffith's retirement until his own retirement in 1971

Peter Dryden
21st January 2009, 17:02
I have turned my mind over re the Bowcombe which was a Stephenson Clarke vessel but keep coming up with a blank. The Master I think was from the Hartlepool / Teeside areas - a very nice man and there is something in my mind that he had lost a son. Last time I saw the Golden Fleece it was still there but all boarded up. The Seven Stars and the Dun Cow are long gone.

As are the Stephenson Clarke offices, which were on the quayside in front of the tugboat mooring jettys.

Peter.

aleccrichton1982
13th February 2009, 11:15
More Colliers Mv Dalewood Captain Larry Scott Mv Kylebank Captain Wright Mv Waterland Who I Think Was Captain Carney

Mick farmer
15th February 2009, 21:00
Sorry for late reply just seen this one

was with Capt Judge on the Lea Grange in 1959 also Capt Monger who relieved hin for a while just when I left

Hugh Grant
23rd February 2009, 01:22
Heyshott Capt Hanson 1953 Fulham Ten capt D Battle 1953
Fulham three capt Hardie 1953 Rattray Head G Grey 1954
Francis Fladgate capt W.Johnson 1st mate Ben Grimmer. 1955
Bodmin Moor capt richardson Walcrete ex pool sound capt W H james 1959

tell
28th February 2009, 03:55
Cap'tn (steamboat) Willy Donnen of the ''Kylebrook'' of Monroes coasters

monty
14th March 2009, 16:08
My father, Charles SLEIGHTHOLME, was a Captain with Corys and reguarly sailed out of Blyth in the sixties until his retirement in 1971.
He took the Cormain on a couple of six month charters up to the Baltic and also made a few trips with the Corstar/Corsea/Corstream down the Med.
He took over as Captain of the Corbeach on Captain Griffith's retirement until his own retirement in 1971

Hi Miketyneside. I sailed with your Dad twice on the Corbeach. First time was in Goole July 69 for 5 weeks and then for a couple of weeks in December 69 I was relieving the Chief engineer both times. The thing that I remember about him was that on payday when we collected our wages in the smokeroom he had a lifeboat on the table, and we were expected to put our loose change into it. Regards Peter Ross

Burned Toast
14th March 2009, 20:40
Brimsdown= Capt JS Taylor
Portslade = T. Bone
Firelight = R.Newcombe
Sir David 11 = AB Sheridan
David Pollock= AS Hardy
Harting = W. Morrel(Thumb)

trotterdotpom
15th March 2009, 13:19
"Portslade = T. Bone"

A martinet, sailed with him on Amberley.

John T.

michael higgins
15th March 2009, 15:17
although i dont go back as far as some of the postings i would like to mention two of the finest gentlemen i ever met during my time at sea.the cymbeline ,ex dalewood you had CAPTAIN JOHN POTTER and stephenson clarke CAPTAIN GORDON PAYNE who i sailed with on ashington,aldrington,donnington.it was a pleasure to have met and sailed with these two men.

Pat McCardle
15th March 2009, 19:35
I sailed with Captain Gordon Paine on Washington, 1980-82, & he was a true gent who had time for everyone on board.

vitalspark
16th March 2009, 15:38
I was only a child at the time, but back in the '50's I think the captain of the Spray out of Aberdeen was Captain Geddes. He might have been in Thrift, but I think it was Spray.

Dave

pooter1950
16th March 2009, 19:32
My father (Eddie Wraith) was on a number of colliers in the 50s and 60s and though he had his Masters Ticket I don't think he captained any of them. He was on the Thomas Goulden, Frederick John Evans, Samuel Clegg, Sheaf Arrow, Firelight and Fireguard and others.

djmorton
16th March 2009, 23:18
How many of you ex Collier men remember Charles (Charlie) Murray of North Thames Gas ?. I sailed with him as R/O on the SS Winsor/MAUE in the early
1960's. What a man to tell a story (some rather dubious !).

7woodlane
1st July 2009, 19:31
mv Blackwall Point (CEA) but she was managed by Stephenson Clarke. I was there 1958 to 1960. Regular Master was Cap. Tom Purvis from East Boldon. Relief Masters were Saalman and Pedersen. Before Tom took over Capn. W G Woods was there when the ship was on a south Wales run. In my time Blackwall Point was mainly Dunston to Battersea power station. Anyone know what became of Ch/Eng Richardson or 2nd Engr John Sundin ?
David Whitehead.

7woodlane
1st July 2009, 19:36
ss Hawkwood of WFF fame. Again the late Fifties but two Masters I remember were Douglas (surname) and Talbot. Hope the info is useful.

GEORDIE LAD
1st July 2009, 19:59
Does anyone have information about Cap't.Arthur Hill,master of the collier Wimbledon,who lost his life when the ship foundered near Cromar in 1956.He was a neighbour when I lived in South Shields.Thanks...Doug

jactaa
2nd August 2009, 21:44
1979 Pulborough Captain Newbold
1979 Aldrington Captain E W (Ted) Welch

johnb42
3rd August 2009, 02:20
Rentaship,
In the second half of the sixties I somehow found the name of a Captain Bedford from Stevies Marine Personnel Dept. Never met him, but he always found me a few weeks work, if there was a reason I needed it between deep sea ships.
Looking in my book I've got a stamp for Storrington, Captain Pearson late '66, and one for Beeding '69, with Captain W.Brenen.
I can vaguely remember both of them and recall that Brenen had some health problems, although obviously not bad enough to prevent him going to sea.
My eternal memory of the Beeding is of those underwater toilets, where you had to flush and pump on a handle at the same time or "get your own back" all over the toilet deck.

joebuckham
6th August 2009, 18:08
Rentaship,
In the second half of the sixties I somehow found the name of a Captain Bedford from Stevies Marine Personnel Dept. Never met him, but he always found me a few weeks work, if there was a reason I needed it between deep sea ships.
Looking in my book I've got a stamp for Storrington, Captain Pearson late '66, and one for Beeding '69, with Captain W.Brenen.
I can vaguely remember both of them and recall that Brenen had some health problems, although obviously not bad enough to prevent him going to sea.
My eternal memory of the Beeding is of those underwater toilets, where you had to flush and pump on a handle at the same time or "get your own back" all over the toilet deck.

a great bloke, i was interviewed by him and thorney- gibson when i joined stevies in 1972. met him a few times in my spell with them.
i believe he was involved in setting up the collier trade on the argentine coast

LANCE BALL
8th August 2009, 11:33
Capt Surtees of the Ardingly.
There was also a Capt Duke but cant remember which ship.
.The Golden Fleece had a coal bogey which was handy for keeping the pies hot on pay day.
Lance Ball

Pat McCardle
8th August 2009, 19:15
Anyone remember John Reay who went on to be HarbourMaster at Blyth? Another great bloke to sail with.

finetune
9th August 2009, 16:42
Sailed with John a few times,I think the last time may have been on the Ashington.I cant remember if he was old man or mate.Someone told me he had gone to work on the dredgers? A really nice down to earth guy.
Regards
George

michael higgins
10th August 2009, 16:10
i to sailed with john reay on his last trip with stevies,not sure if it was the ashington or washington but he did leave to take up some post at blyth harbour.like already said he was a nice fellow.a few more namews that come to mind are,
mike rushbrook
bill gibson
gordon young
don mc cloud
chris goddard
just a few that pop to mind any one remember them?

joebuckham
10th August 2009, 16:18
.a few more namews that come to mind are,
mike rushbrook
bill gibson
gordon young
don mc cloud
chris goddard
just a few that pop to mind any one remember them?

hi michael, gordon young was mate with me on the beeding, a good shipmate. i met him again when i was piloting he was then working for the met office, visiting ships in tees and hartlepool
b rgds

Pat McCardle
10th August 2009, 18:33
Don McCloud was Mate on Washington when I was there 1980-82 along with Cap't Bill Sutherland. One of the best Mates I sailed with, a honest bloke who knew how to man manage.

finetune
11th August 2009, 20:15
Pat,had a look and found my discharge books,indeed i sailed with John Reay,he was captain on the Ashington.Possibly it was one of the mates on there that went to the dredgers,mabye Davey Mc Clusky.Heres a few more names that people may remember.
Captain John Stevens ---mv Portslade (gentleman of the old school).
" Ben Wappat---mv Portslade.
" Alan Calvert (i think) paid himself off Portslade unwell,died at home next day.
" Jack Barrus from Sunderland ---Portslade & old Storrington (went ashore with health problems).
" Brian pratt (Brian was known as a witch or as he himself described it,a believer in the Old Religion.
" Bobby Thompson fron Jarrow (great singer).
" Malcom Birne.
" Brian Reid--mv Emerald.
" Cyril Twommey---mv Gem.
" Peter Dyer--- several including the tankers.

Regards
George
" Joe Johnson---I believe Captain Joe drowned in a swimming accident when in retirement.

Pat McCardle
13th August 2009, 10:00
George. It was Dave McCluskey who went on the dredger in Blyth. he is now with Westminster Dredging. I was with Brian Pratt on Ferring, a bit weird with the Druid stuff Ha!!

gordon savage
20th August 2009, 23:39
Captain Woods Was The Master On The Mv Amenity In 1948 One Of Everard's Ships, All The Best Gordon Savage

duquesa
21st August 2009, 00:23
What has the Capt of the Amenity got to do with Captains of Colliers. Bligh was Captain of the Bounty!

highfields01
9th September 2009, 02:44
Hello All.

My Grandad was Captain Saalman. He died about 6 years ago. Oliver Bury,James Rowan,Dane Caroline Haslett, Battersea, Brimsdown,Harry Rirchardson are some of the ships I remember on. I did trips on several of them on my school holidays!
Sailed with Mr Payne when he was first mate on the Battersea. Also remember Wally Halliday on the Rowan and Battersea.Unfortunately he jumped over the side a few years back.

Remember a police investigation when I was on board when a barrel of wine disappeared from the bonded warehouse at Shoreham.Think the lads stored it in one of the water tanks and threw the barrel over the side. I still have SS Brimsdowns chartroom barometer and clock in my house at home, removed when it was taken for scrap in the 70's. I have wound the clock up religiously for over 20 years when it was handed on to me.

Also remember a Mr Duff,first mate on the Caroline Hasslett. The guys on watch used to get me to shout down the bridge air vent to his cabin!

My brother also got his kite stuck around the foghorn cable on the James Rowan and started pulling it. When it hooted, thought it was ny grandad on the bridge.The guys sleeping off watch thought there was an iceberg!

7woodlane
10th September 2009, 15:09
Hello All.

My Grandad was Captain Saalman. He died about 6 years ago. Oliver Bury,James Rowan,Dane Caroline Haslett, Battersea, Brimsdown,Harry Rirchardson are some of the ships I remember on. I did trips on several of them on my school holidays!
Sailed with Mr Payne when he was first mate on the Battersea. Also remember Wally Halliday on the Rowan and Battersea.Unfortunately he jumped over the side a few years back.

Remember a police investigation when I was on board when a barrel of wine disappeared from the bonded warehouse at Shoreham.Think the lads stored it in one of the water tanks and threw the barrel over the side. I still have SS Brimsdowns chartroom barometer and clock in my house at home, removed when it was taken for scrap in the 70's. I have wound the clock up religiously for over 20 years when it was handed on to me.

Also remember a Mr Duff,first mate on the Caroline Hasslett. The guys on watch used to get me to shout down the bridge air vent to his cabin!

My brother also got his kite stuck around the foghorn cable on the James Rowan and started pulling it. When it hooted, thought it was ny grandad on the bridge.The guys sleeping off watch thought there was an iceberg!

Hello Captain Saalman occasionally relieved Tommy Purvis on the Blackwall Point in the late Fifties. Remember him well and a very nice pleasant man he was.

Pat McCardle
29th September 2009, 04:43
Anyone remember Donald Patrickson?

IBlenkinsopp
8th October 2009, 09:30
Anyone remember Donald Patrickson?

Hi, I remember Donal Patrickson from the Washington,
Others were;
Ralph Potts
Dickie Atkinson
Neil Ramsay
Dave Carlton
Capt McQuaig
Mike Rushbrook
Chris Goddard
Harry Kay
Tony Bourne
Capt Petrie
Mel Arkley
W Sutherland
Gibson
Bill Adair
I'll have to dig out the blue book for the others

Ian Bl.

joebuckham
8th October 2009, 20:57
Hi, I remember Donal Patrickson from the Washington,

Harry Kay

Mel Arkley

Ian Bl.

i sailed with donald in the sugar importer a real gentleman.

harry (danny) kaye, i was up at south shields with him for second mates. i met him again in hartlepool after forty years, he died 2000, a great character

mel arkley was my great drinking buddy when we were at south shields for second and first mates,

johnb42
8th October 2009, 21:22
Sad to hear the "Fleece" is gone. There was always a warm welcome there for collier men.

jonnyingram
12th December 2009, 17:49
France Fenwicks. Hawkwood, Capt.Dalziel who came from Tumblin Shetland,All his brothers were Master Mariners.My uncle Fred Mole was Mate,both of them lived in Sunderland.

The 2nd. Mate
31st August 2010, 20:21
Hi all

From my coasting days [58/59] the ones I remember are;
Stewarts of Glasgow [aka Winnie Whittons]
Yewmount Tom Pritchard and Torquil McLeod

Holderness s/s Co. Holdernore Edgar Jones
Holdernook Jim[?] Hansen

Cheers

Ian

Jeesh!! Nearly forgot one of the best, my late uncle Jim Halsall of Preston. Was with Stewarts on the Yewglen? as was my father [Ch Eng] when Kettlewell's started up, bought the Yewglen. My Dad and Uncle stayed with Kettlewells but my uncle left them after s couple of years. Dad stayed with them til the end then went with Stephie Clarke's

Binnacle
31st August 2010, 21:33
[QUOTE=joesoap;276245]I signed on the 'Bowcombe' one of Cory's e d h at Blyth on Feb 1960 paid off W Hartlepool April . I've spent longer on a lookout , however on checking the old book I can't make out the signatures , the top one is a definite E H***d and the lower signature R Joliphur but that too is a guess except for the initials . Between the signs for some strange reason that you may enlighten us on there is very clearly written Eng 2 . I have never noticed that before and no way is it 2nd Eng , surely not . I'm not much help to your question . Now it looks like I'm asking the question if you tie up the name with the dates then that's a possibility .
.[/or two QUOTE]

Eng 2 entry in your Discharge Book indicates that you were engaged /discharged outwith a Mercantile Marine Office or not before a MMO Superintendent.

Hamish Mackintosh
1st September 2010, 04:10
Hi all

From my coasting days [58/59] the ones I remember are;
Stewarts of Glasgow [aka Winnie Whittons]
Yewmount Tom Pritchard and Torquil McLeod

Holderness s/s Co. Holdernore Edgar Jones
Holdernook Jim[?] Hansen

Cheers

Ian

Jeesh!! Nearly forgot one of the best, my late uncle Jim Halsall of Preston. Was with Stewarts on the Yewglen? as was my father [Ch Eng] when Kettlewell's started up, bought the Yewglen. My Dad and Uncle stayed with Kettlewells but my uncle left them after s couple of years. Dad stayed with them til the end then went with Stephie Clarke's

I was on the Blisworth which became the Holdernidd for kettlewells, Jones was a relief skipper for Capt Patrick, he put us on the "Hard" leaving Newlyn,loaded with roadstone, for Depford, didn't turm out much of a problem, he had just left too early on the tide, and we had to wait untill we got more water, and went on our merry way

The 2nd. Mate
1st September 2010, 19:15
I was on the Blisworth which became the Holdernidd for kettlewells, Jones was a relief skipper for Capt Patrick, he put us on the "Hard" leaving Newlyn,loaded with roadstone, for Depford, didn't turm out much of a problem, he had just left too early on the tide, and we had to wait untill we got more water, and went on our merry way

Yup, that's Edgar Jones. We were on our way to LLanelli but running a wee bit late for the tide. As I remember there is a big[ish] sandbank at the mouth of the river which has to be circumnavigated. Not Edgar[=D]. Went right across it and we struck bottom twiceB\)

Cheers

Ian

mr marconi
28th September 2010, 20:55
Cory's Corbeach in the 60's: Captain Griffin, (a relieving master was a Captain Sharpe from South Shields). Happy Christmas to all.

Was this captain Joe Sharpe who served on the cory iron ore ship Monksgarth if so does any one know anything about him I as r/o onboard 1973

Regards Adrian.

Allan Pugh
26th January 2012, 00:14
Hello
I was brand new Junior Sparks on the Brimsdown with Captain George
Gibson. The Mate was Bill Slimmin. Chief was a Mauritian whose name escapes me. I did 4 months on the ship and was constantly seasick! As she was a flatty we went all the way up the Thames to Fulham power station. I joined her at Jarrow and had my first pint of Ex in the White Lead. Bosun was a North Shields man called Billy Warmington - a real gent. I also remember well Minnie Becks, Tyne Commissioners Quay, Lampton Drops etc - we even went foreign to Methil!

Allan Pugh

Bimmer11
15th March 2012, 02:48

Barford - Captain Witten
Hackney - Captain McRae. Few 'flatirons' called at the port during my time and I knew Captain McRae as he lived in Seaton Sluice and it was handier for him to pick up monies from the Blyth office.

Amberley - Captain Black
Arundel - Captain Lawton
Borde - Captain Judge
Findon - Captain Grewar
Heyshott - Captain Pryor

Other vessels that were a regular visitor to Blyth and for whom SC acted as agents for were:

Ballyrory - Captain Ross; Ballyrush - Captain Adair; Firethorn Captain Hegarty; Maythorn - Captain Lavery / Hegarty; Osborne Queen Captain Steeley; Security Captain Wadhams

Sorry I have no new names to add, but I remember Captain Adair , then of Ballyrush very well as I grew up calling him dad and sailed with him-oftento Liverpool many times. Finding this site has brought back many dear memories of William Frank Adair and the great ships he served on!

Norris Adair

Mike Skeet
22nd March 2012, 22:48
[QUOTE=Rentaship;273631]I worked in the agency department of Stephenson Clarke Shipping, mainly in the Blyth office during 1962-1965 and remember some of the names of the Masters of the vessels, mentioned in these pages, that were regular visitors to the port which I looked after.

Barford - Captain Witten

Amberley - Captain Black
Arundel - Captain Lawton
Borde - Captain Judge
Findon - Captain Grewar
Heyshott - Captain Pryor

Can anyone provide info on other Masters and their vessels?[/QUOTE

I sailed as 2nd Mate in the 50's on the Fulham V111. Capt. George Hardy and Mate's Bill Curley and ? Smith. He would never run for shelter and hated slowing down in fog. Had somewhere to stay ashore in every port ! He was quite a character.
Mike Skeet

suegrew
24th April 2012, 19:53

Barford - Captain Witten

Amberley - Captain Black
Arundel - Captain Lawton
Borde - Captain Judge
Findon - Captain Grewar
Heyshott - Captain Pryor

My father was Captain Grewar, there is a great deal of info about MV Findon on the web site findon Village

Dave Woods
24th April 2012, 20:57
Lancing Captain Bilton (1968)

granty
25th April 2012, 11:41
hi as a boatman i shoreham up till 68 i remmember Capt Bilton very well he lived in Southwick so shoreham was his home port he had a big ford car Zepha
or Consol ?? and often he would take his wife with him back to Goole to see her Family he also had a son who was master in Longstaffs regards granty

Dave Woods
25th April 2012, 11:50
hi as a boatman i shoreham up till 68 i remmember Capt Bilton very well he lived in Southwick so shoreham was his home port he had a big ford car Zepha
or Consol ?? and often he would take his wife with him back to Goole to see her Family he also had a son who was master in Longstaffs regards granty

The mate / relieving Captain was Charlie Rucker, who according to the story I was told escaped from Poland in a stolen MT boat. I must dig out the photo's.

granty
25th April 2012, 11:54
Hi Dave i remember him i let him go from the gas works on his 1st trip as master he was a good lad and i think he was the only Polish Guy in the fleet
was you in the Lancing around that time cheers granty

Dave Woods
25th April 2012, 12:04
I was there from March to August 1968. Charlie was Master when I joined. I joined in Shoreham and we went up to Goole, on arrival at the Spurn Pilot I was on the bridge and Charlie suddenly said "Sparks grab the wheel". That was it I did most of the steering in and out of port from then on.

I see from my Dis book he signed it with what looks like K Rurka. I believe that shortly after I left (possibly a year) he crossed the bar on the train going on leave.

captain Bilton for the record was E.H. Bilton.

Best regards

Dave.

granty
25th April 2012, 12:19
hi dave you reminded my of that he died soon after being made master and
Capt Bilton was transfered to the i think the Amberly i remmember him talking once about how he joined Steves when a lad as a sailor working his way up through the hawse pipe passing his certificates and being made master i think he must have had a masters Home Trade Ticket and i belive masters in steves had F.G Tickets but he was a Character cheers granty

TONY CLYNE
4th March 2014, 18:10
I was on the Lancing 1963/64 with Capt Bilton, Charlie the Pole as he was affectionately known was mate one of the best blokes I ever sailed with. Dave you`re right with the name K. Rurka never found out what K. was. My wife was expecting our first child while I was on Lancing and Capt Bilton promised to buy her a pram, still waiting!

Hamish Mackintosh
4th March 2014, 19:32
Surtees on the Beeding
Stark on the Seaford

Jacktar1
13th March 2014, 04:28
I sailed with two great Collier Captain's as a young 2nd Mate in the 1950's. Captain Richmond on board the Dame Caroline Haslett a flattie trading mainly Barry to Battersea and Fulham power stations with an occasional trip from Dunston. And Captain Heatherington on board the Sir John Snell , Tyne to Shoreham and Littlebrook power station. Very professional shipmasters and true gentlemen. (Thumb)(Thumb)