Internet Explorer security alert: The latest problem and how to fix it

Lancastrian
16th December 2008, 14:45
Users of Internet Explorer, the world's most popular web browser, are at risk of having their computers hijacked because of a security flaw.
See details HERE (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/3793365/Internet-Explorer-security-alert-Microsoft-says-all-users-at-risk.html)
I recommend Firefox till they fix it.

K urgess
16th December 2008, 14:55
Two out of three "experts" on the BBC site say changing for this small problem is not really the answer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm
Everybody using a computer on the internet is in danger of having their computer hijacked because of security flaws.
Since I don't play games on line and have a very efficient firewall I'm not really bothered.
By the time I switched to another browser they will have brought out a security update.
Interesting that the alarm was raised by Microsoft themselves.

tell
16th December 2008, 20:44
seeing as it was on the national news I dont think this should be taken lightly, If you have Vista you are reasonably safe otherwise change! whatever you are on make sure the browser is set on High security. they are working on a patch but cant say when It will be ready

K urgess
16th December 2008, 20:59
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/3793365/Internet-Explorer-security-alert-Microsoft-says-all-users-at-risk.html
For a bit more information.

sparkie2182
16th December 2008, 21:27
for anyone who is unsure of setting the browser security level to high.......

click start (green tab bottom left of screen)........control panel.......network and internet connections........internet options.........security.......using the curser, raise the internet security level bar to "high" from its probable setting of "medium".........click apply .........finally click OK

David Wilcockson
16th December 2008, 21:57
Hi Guys,
Many thanks for the info., I have taken the required steps as indicated.
Cheers,
David

sparkie2182
16th December 2008, 22:36
just be aware david, that some features of the pc may be restricted, specially any requiring adobe flash 9 or similar video decoders.

a return to medium security status may be neccesary for the duration of the application you require.

Lancastrian
16th December 2008, 23:04
"By the time I switched to another browser they will have brought out a security update."
If you have both installed, it only takes a couple of seconds to switch.

Santos
16th December 2008, 23:26
I have installed Firefox for the moment and it appears to be OK - touch wood - I still have IE7 available if required, working with no ' add ons ' and with High Security featured. Better safe than sorry I say. I dont really have alot of secret info on the my computer, eg I dont do Internet banking, but what little I do have I dont want all the world to see.

I have no doubt we are not being told the whole truth and have probably been at risk for some considerable time. Microsoft wouldnt want to lose custom would they, so we are probably the last to know of the problem and for all we know, we could have been raped and ravaged (EEK) without knowing it already.

So they now know my underpants size - so what - they could be impressed (Jester)

Chris.

John Briggs
17th December 2008, 00:10
seeing as it was on the national news I dont think this should be taken lightly, If you have Vista you are reasonably safe otherwise change! whatever you are on make sure the browser is set on High security. they are working on a patch but cant say when It will be ready

First good thing I have heard about Vista for a while! I have used it since it was introduced and (touch wood) have had no problems.

aleddy
17th December 2008, 00:36
Thanks for the info Sparkie and the followup, have noted a reminder for future adjustments.

K urgess
17th December 2008, 10:57
Microsoft's advice -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/961051.mspx
It appears Vista may not be as safe as first thought.

Sister Eleff
17th December 2008, 12:13
Thanks for the tip Sparkie, I have followed your instructions.

K urgess
17th December 2008, 13:28
Update will be available tonight -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/3811397/Internet-Explorer-security-alert-Microsoft-to-issue-software-fix.html
And just to remind us all that we should keep all our firewalls, anti-spam, anti-virus and adware software up to date -
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/

Derek Roger
17th December 2008, 18:53
The update is available NOW . Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools and then to updates ; click and follow the instructions . Takes about 2 minutes .

Derek Roger
17th December 2008, 19:33
The new patch by Microsoft is available Now . Open explorer ; go to tools and go to updates ; click on and follow the instructions .

Cheers Derek

K urgess
17th December 2008, 19:37
Quick job done, thanks Derek. (Thumb)
And all that without moving from IE7 to another browser or changing any settings.
Simple if you avoid suspect sites until the panic's over and have good security.

Santos
17th December 2008, 21:08
Thanks Derek - all done - and I was just getting to like FireFox3 - well its there if I need it.

Chris.

benjidog
17th December 2008, 21:36
Derek,

Will merge with the orginating thread so the problem and (maybe) cure are in one place.

Lancastrian
17th December 2008, 21:52
Quick job done, thanks Derek. (Thumb)
And all that without moving from IE7 to another browser or changing any settings.
Simple if you avoid suspect sites until the panic's over and have good security.

Yes its simple and quick but having an alternative browser available is still a sensible precaution, (for those of us who are not computer engineers).

K urgess
17th December 2008, 22:02
Unfortunately, for some reason that has me completely baffled, Firefox will not run properly on my machine. It may be something to do with the way it's set up for some of the professional software I've had to use in the past.
Runs perfectly well on my Ubuntu/Windows XP media edition laptop but not here.
Sometimes having been a computer engineer for 30 years has it's drawbacks. (Sad)

David Wilcockson
18th December 2008, 00:53
Have downloaded patch & reset IE7 to original, many thanks to all for directions & guidance.
Cheers,
David

sparkie2182
18th December 2008, 21:32
i also downloaded firefox last night and have had a world of trouble since.
though i eventually managed to delete the programme , the pc is still continuing to run very erratically.

a case of caveat emptor

Lancastrian
18th December 2008, 23:35
Well I'm running IE7, Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari and no probs with any of them.

billyboy
19th December 2008, 04:09
Think I must have the worst computer on this site. Certainly the slowest. I loaded Firefox three years ago and never had any problems with it whatsoever. For me Firefox is the ultimate browser. But, each to their own.

sparkie2182
19th December 2008, 22:05
after attempting to download the i.e. fix and subsequently firefox, my pc has given such problems that i have had to reinstall windows entirely, taking over two hours and losing everything saved.

benjidog
19th December 2008, 22:10
Bad luck sparkie!

I hope you make a habit of backing up your important files onto a DVD or CD on a regular basis - too many people don't. Then if you PC goes down the plughole you don't lose anything important.

Sometimes re-installing Windows is not such a bad thing as it tends to collect crap over the years and re-installation clears a lot of it out and improves the performance. Also if you have not done so, before you re-install everything do a disk check and compress your hard drive before there is much on it.

sparkie2182
19th December 2008, 22:20
my view entirely benji.........

i never leave anything of import on the p.c.......and the speed of performance of the "new p.c." is worth the effort.
it is only a few weeks that i last did it in fact, and didnt expect to do it again untill around easter.

its now like having a new p.c. for christmas :)

why the downloads should have caused such problems, i can't figure out unless my a.v. failed to pick something up.
in 14 years of p.c. ownership i haven't had to reinstall because of a download.

always something new in the i.t. game

Quiney
19th December 2008, 22:56
The wife has had the IE update and it downloaded Ok and everything is running sweet! (I'm runnining a horrible old version of IE on this PC in the office)

A trick I have used for many years is to have a second hard disc for your data.
In the past it used to be built into the main case, but these days I have a portable drive plugged in via the USB (about 40 will get you 250GB) and then there is no problems if you have to rebuild the main hard drive.

tell
19th December 2008, 23:42
how do you change the default back to IE7? please. Terry

K urgess
19th December 2008, 23:52
I presume you still have it on your computer, Tell.
If you have it should be on the start menu under the start button at bottom left.
Start it up and it should ask you if you want to make it the default browser.
Just tell it yes.
Cheers
Kris

tell
20th December 2008, 00:11
I presume you still have it on your computer, Tell.
If you have it should be on the start menu under the start button at bottom left.
Start it up and it should ask you if you want to make it the default browser.
Just tell it yes.
Cheers
Kris

Done and dusted , much obliged, I thang yow Tell

pier
31st December 2008, 06:38
what the best free anti virus

Santos
31st December 2008, 11:09
Pier

My own personal opinion is that AVG is the best, but other members may have had different experiences and different preferences. AVG backed up with Windows Defender also free ( a anti spyware program which protects your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other invasive programs ) I have found to be very good.

Kind regards

Chris.

billyboy
1st January 2009, 08:55
I agree that AVG is the best for me too!. I also use ADAWARE anti spyware (free) and CCleaner (crap cleaner) also free to clean out the nasty stuff that clogs things up.

barrinoz
31st December 2009, 04:22
I downloade IE8 several weeks (months? ago) and it practically stopped all incoming and outgoing mail. I contacted my anti-virus supplier (Trend micro) who told me to remove it as Microsoft were still to iron out many problems. Have been reluctant to download it since. Run on IE6. Is IE8 now safe?
barrinoz.

John Briggs
31st December 2009, 05:32
To answer your question Barrinoz, I don't know, but I have been using IE8 since it came out and have never had a problem!

rickles23
31st December 2009, 07:36
Hi,
In Windows 7 there is no Outlook Express so I have gone back to Thunderbird from Mozilla.
Regards

billyboy
31st December 2009, 07:51
Tried most things but Mozilla firefox is the best for me. quicker and more secure.