Clymene = 1961 - 1976

Mick quinn
16th December 2008, 21:44
Can anyone enlighten me on a rumour that I vaguely recall that the Clymene was chartered off the stocks to Shell with a service speed of 14 knots whereas she actually did about 16?
Spent an interesting 6 months on her in 1973, joined in Singapore in January, left in Geelong July. Interesting in that she was my only oil tanker carrying a multitude of break oil products including avgas and avtur the smell of which would come back to haunt me when I joined the RAF much later.
Mick Quinn

non descript
16th December 2008, 23:04
Mick, I have to be honest and say I do not know; but certainly the Clymene went straight into a 20 year timecharter with Shell when she delivered from the yard, and it would be highly likely it would be with a 14 knot charter party speed (such is the prudence of HSC, and with due respect for the punitive terms of a performance clause, it would automatically lead any responsible owner to have ‘a bit in hand’, so that the chances of an under performance claim are kept to the minimum) Also as a turbine, she would, by her very construction, have an ability to achieve a better speed without undue stress (unlike a motor-ship).
(Thumb)
Mark

merrymagpie
16th December 2008, 23:38
I'm sure you are thinking of the Joya McCance, who could do a lot more than 16 knots. In fact I seem to remember being told she was , at the time, the fastest commercial tanker in the world!

Mike

non descript
16th December 2008, 23:51
I'm sure you are thinking of the Joya McCance, who could do a lot more than 16 knots....

Mike,
As I am not Mick, I could not say what is in his mind, but given that he refers to having ‘Spent an interesting 6 months on her in 1973, joined in Singapore in January’ that does maybe suggest to me that he really is referring the clean oil ship Clymene owned by Hadleys, and not the Norwegian built tanker, bought by Houlders whilst under construction, who retained her named Beauval – She was built in 1964 and only changed her name to Joya McCance in 1966 (when the name became available). She traded crude and was sold in 1976 and broken up. – As has been mentioned elsewhere, she was actually a spur of the moment purchase, spotted by John Houlder for sale and matched to an amazing charter to Shell which paid a substantial bonus for anything above 15 knots – and she regularly traded well in excess of this, as she had a unique turn of speed, she earned a hatful of money for the company.
(Thumb)
Mark

merrymagpie
17th December 2008, 00:04
It was the mention of being bought off the stocks , Shell charter.and a speed bonus made me think it was the Joya, but as you say if Mick did a six month trip on her he will know! Apologies

mike

vasco
17th December 2008, 04:18
Mike,Mark and Mick!

Though the facts are well known, possibly Mick is attributing the rumour to the wrong ship? Even though he was not on it.

BillH
17th December 2008, 08:08
Mike,Mark and Mick!

Though the facts are well known, possibly Mick is attributing the rumour to the wrong ship? Even though he was not on it.
The earlier built CERINTHUS also of Hadley was definately an "H" class Shell tanker design built by Hadley then long term chartered to Shell, althougn I think she was black oil carrier.

Not 100% certain but it rings a bell that the CLYMENE bore a close resemblance to a Shell "A" class, but not being near my records at present cannot check.

Bill

davidrwarwick
17th December 2008, 09:41
Shell tanker CLYMENE built 1960 Hawthorn Leslie, for more info see Helderline site :-
http://www.helderline.nl/tankers/1397/clymene/
don't know anythig about service speed tho' accomodation wise she looks like a cross between an "A" class and an "H" class

Dave

BillH
17th December 2008, 17:42
The earlier built CERINTHUS also of Hadley was definately an "H" class Shell tanker design built by Hadley then long term chartered to Shell, althougn I think she was black oil carrier.

Not 100% certain but it rings a bell that the CLYMENE bore a close resemblance to a Shell "A" class, but not being near my records at present cannot check.

Bill
CLYMENE was indeed to a Shell "A" class design and chartered to them.

Lloyd's Register 1974/75 quoted her as 14.5kts.

CERINTHUS the "H" class was attributed with 14kts.

Dave Edge
17th December 2008, 23:01
Clymene was ordered by Shell as an A class and offered to Hadley Shipping before construction began, with a twenty year charter to Shell and the option of a five year extension.

non descript
17th December 2008, 23:26
It was the mention of being bought off the stocks , Shell charter.and a speed bonus made me think it was the Joya, but as you say if Mick did a six month trip on her he will know! Apologies

mike

Mike,
No apology needed – I agree with you when a Houlders person hears the words “fast turbine tanker” and “excessive speed” they automatically think of that sleek crude carrier that used to overtake ferries and leave them bobbing in its wake (Jester), but given the context of Mick's comment (and the prudence of HSC) it all fits that it was indeed our A Class tanker that was a close relative of “The World’s Favourite Tanker” … and given the onerous terms of a Shell Speed Clause, the idea of having a bit up one’s sleeve is more than wise.

My thanks to Dave Edge for his comments. (Thumb)
Mark

non descript
17th December 2008, 23:33
Clymene was ordered by Shell as an A class and offered to Hadley Shipping before construction began, with a twenty year charter to Shell and the option of a five year extension.

Poor old Clymene, not only did Shell not exercise their option for those additional 5 years, but they terminated the 20 year charter some 5 years early, and paid Hadleys some £1.45million in compensation. (EEK)

Annieann
7th August 2013, 13:31
I am looking for my father who was on the SS Clymene in October 1964 his name was Chris (this is the only name I have ) it was docked in Punta cerelon Venezuela at this time and then loaded for Rotterdam. Does anyone know crew who were on the ship at this time or how I can get a crew list.

Ron Stringer
7th August 2013, 18:51
I am looking for my father who was on the SS Clymene in October 1964 his name was Chris (this is the only name I have ) it was docked in Punta cerelon Venezuela at this time and then loaded for Rotterdam. Does anyone know crew who were on the ship at this time or how I can get a crew list.

If he joined the "Clymene" in October 1964, it is very likely that he left ("signed off" articles) in 1965. If that was so, then you will be able to obtain a copy of the ship's articles from The National Archive at Kew. They have nearly all ships' articles that closed in years ending in the figure '5'. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

However if he left the ship in 1964 or 1966, then you would have to contact the University of Newfoundland's Maritime History Archive. http://www.mun.ca/mha/index.php

In either case, if you are unable to visit the Archive (either in Kew or Newfoundland) they are able to provide you with copies on request, for a fee. The starting point is the ship's name and Official Number and of course, the dates in which you are interested. Good luck.

duquesa
7th August 2013, 20:24
Probably Punta Cardon. A hell hole if ever there was one. Jetty stuck at right angles to the coast with nowhere to go.