How Do you clean your Lens

17th December 2008, 19:38
I would strongly recommend buying one of these, they are so simple to use.

If your not sure go the Lenspen site and watch the "How to use" vid

17th December 2008, 20:47
And here I was going to say Penicillin after reading the title.

18th December 2008, 10:12
Had one for years, very good. You cannot order anything by phone must be fax or web.

18th December 2008, 14:37
What is the advantage over using the puffer brush, then lens tissues and fluid cleaner (isopropynol type)?

9th January 2009, 17:08
The puffer brush does exactly what it's supposed to blow of dust!!

Lens tisues are fine to clean but if you want a Polished lens then the "Lenspen" will clean and polish.

I was advised NOT to put Isopropynol Alchol on Lense's as in time it breaks down the protective coating on the Lens.

I also use a UV filter to protect my lens!! It is cheaper to replace the filter than a Lens.

This info was passed on to me by a Pro photographer who I have known for a long time.

12th February 2009, 19:56
I try not to clean a lens unless the optical quality is affected,even then it will only be a air blower,but be careful of the very cheap air cannisters as they are likely to contain water and you don't want to go spraying that over a lens

17th February 2009, 10:19
I try not to clean a lens unless the optical quality is affected

Wise advice!! The damaged front elements I have seen on optical equipment are almost always as a result of people being paranoid about a having an immaculate surface.

If you've got a lens hood, use it... they give a surprising amount of protection.

17th February 2009, 10:52
Hold the lens above eye level and give it a "huff". The moisture droplets from your breath tend to fall down and do not reach the lens. Wipe the lens with a clean, unironed handkerchief. A tip given to me by a professional many years ago. Never had a scratched lens doing it this way.

17th February 2009, 12:11
Hold the lens above eye level and give it a "huff".

Not much fun with my 600/4 (==D)

19th February 2009, 11:05
For many years now I have used a small puffer, with a soft long hair brush attached, protected with a nozzle that slides over the brush when not in use. It's about 'palm of hand' size, and gives a gentle but sufficient 'puff and brush'.

I have never had a problem with my film cameras (OM1, AE1, EOS1000, EOS 33), EOS 40D, or lenses, with dirt, dust fluff scratches etc

I don't know if it (or something similar) is still available.