How Do you clean your Lens

Lifeboat1721
17th December 2008, 20:38
I would strongly recommend buying one of these, they are so simple to use.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=100508

If your not sure go the Lenspen site and watch the "How to use" vid

Ian

Lksimcoe
17th December 2008, 21:47
And here I was going to say Penicillin after reading the title.

R58484956
18th December 2008, 11:12
Had one for years, very good. You cannot order anything by phone must be fax or web.

treeve
18th December 2008, 15:37
What is the advantage over using the puffer brush, then lens tissues and fluid cleaner (isopropynol type)?

Lifeboat1721
9th January 2009, 18:08
The puffer brush does exactly what it's supposed to blow of dust!!

Lens tisues are fine to clean but if you want a Polished lens then the "Lenspen" will clean and polish.

I was advised NOT to put Isopropynol Alchol on Lense's as in time it breaks down the protective coating on the Lens.

I also use a UV filter to protect my lens!! It is cheaper to replace the filter than a Lens.

This info was passed on to me by a Pro photographer who I have known for a long time.

Ian

billy
12th February 2009, 20:56
I try not to clean a lens unless the optical quality is affected,even then it will only be a air blower,but be careful of the very cheap air cannisters as they are likely to contain water and you don't want to go spraying that over a lens

Andy
17th February 2009, 11:19
I try not to clean a lens unless the optical quality is affected

Wise advice!! The damaged front elements I have seen on optical equipment are almost always as a result of people being paranoid about a having an immaculate surface.

If you've got a lens hood, use it... they give a surprising amount of protection.

bobw
17th February 2009, 11:52
Hold the lens above eye level and give it a "huff". The moisture droplets from your breath tend to fall down and do not reach the lens. Wipe the lens with a clean, unironed handkerchief. A tip given to me by a professional many years ago. Never had a scratched lens doing it this way.

Andy
17th February 2009, 13:11
Hold the lens above eye level and give it a "huff".

Not much fun with my 600/4 (==D)

andysk
19th February 2009, 12:05
For many years now I have used a small puffer, with a soft long hair brush attached, protected with a nozzle that slides over the brush when not in use. It's about 'palm of hand' size, and gives a gentle but sufficient 'puff and brush'.

I have never had a problem with my film cameras (OM1, AE1, EOS1000, EOS 33), EOS 40D, or lenses, with dirt, dust fluff scratches etc

I don't know if it (or something similar) is still available.