Unsolicited E-Mail

dicamus
19th December 2008, 11:18
Has any member received an e-mail 'looking for contact' from Eres @ Ships Nostalgia. I have received not 1 but 2 to two different e-maill addresses. I haven't opened them as I suspect it is spam. Any update would be appreciated

Dick

R58484956
19th December 2008, 11:26
Nothing on my PC.

JeffM
19th December 2008, 12:23
There is an Eres listed on the members list of SN (joined Nov 2008) with an interest in Shell tankers amongst other things. Why not send that Eres a private email asking if he/she is one and the same and to reply with an identifiable "about" by line to ensure the reply is genuine.

dicamus
19th December 2008, 12:34
Many thanks for that JeffM. Will do

Dick

gaelsail
22nd December 2008, 18:15
Another option is that 'someone' is phishing for your login details on Ships Nostalgia in order to use or abuse your identity.

Make sure you login by typing the URL into the address bar and not by following a link in the email message you received- a link could be false and an attempt to record your login details.

benjidog
23rd December 2008, 00:02
Good advice already given.

Delete any email you are suspicious of without opening it. If SN member Eres is trying to contact you he should respond to a PM.

BTW am moving this to a more appropriate forum.

Andy
24th December 2008, 13:37
If a mail comes to you from SN, it will be 100% safe, as we do not allow attachments. In addition, the member who sends you a mail via SN cannot see your e-mail address... unless you reply to him.
cheers,
Andy

quietman
24th December 2008, 13:49
I have been in contact with the gentleman concerned without any detriment or problems affecting my computor. The reason he seems to like e-mails is his messages (about things maritime) are very long and it would take up a lot of your alloted space on SN. He in fact gives you a comphrehensive background of himself including photos and his interests.
Regards Derrick

gaelsail
24th December 2008, 15:39
If a mail comes to you from SN, it will be 100% safe, as we do not allow attachments.
Unless the sender's email address has been falsified, likely in the case of phishing. Attachments are the biggest problem for viruses but not for fraud.

Andy
24th December 2008, 16:44
Unless the sender's email address has been falsified, likely in the case of phishing. Attachments are the biggest problem for viruses but not for fraud.

Outside of the SN system, that is true enough.
We're talking about our internal registered member to registered member e-mail system, so the chances of phishing type messages are absolutely Nil.

cheers,
Andy