Purnea

Peter Fielding
29th July 2005, 11:21
Anyone out there remember B.I.'s "Purnea"? Three-legged Doxford, main engine-driven lub. oil and main seawater pumps, all steam-driven auxiliaries and standby pumps. I think the only electric motors on board were on the domestic fridge and the radar scanner! With single-handed watches, you certainly needed the 1 hour's notice for Standby! Who said "Happy Days"?!!!
Salaams.
Peter

BISNENG
4th August 2005, 14:01
I fancy The BI were pretty good at keeping the good ones as such and sorting out the bad ones. Does any one remember Graham Moores better known as "G San" the Doxford man from the 1960s?

Peter Fielding
4th August 2005, 14:31
Who could sail with G San and then forget him? (However hard you might try!) Dead ringer for Freddie Garrity of "Freddie and the Dreamers". Seemed to live on tomato omelettes which he had the steward leave in the hotpress at breakfast time, and ate at lunchtime. I seem to remember one night in Columbo, heading back from the Taprobane, (during the curfew, but the police didn't appear to mind) and it seemed like a good idea for two of us to pop G San on top of a Volkswagen campervan, apparently abandoned by the roadside. However, his enraged dancing about on top of it, because it was too high to jump down, awoke the owner, who had been asleep inside. So he started dancing and screaming too. I'm ashamed to say, we left them to it. He made it back to the ship OK, but spent all smoko the next morning muttering about "No way to treat the 2/E/O....no respect..."
Yes, I remember G San!
Salaams,
Peter.

Bankliner
4th August 2005, 17:10
Anyone out there remember B.I.'s "Purnea"? Three-legged Doxford, main engine-driven lub. oil and main seawater pumps, all steam-driven auxiliaries and standby pumps. I think the only electric motors on board were on the domestic fridge and the radar scanner! With single-handed watches, you certainly needed the 1 hour's notice for Standby! Who said "Happy Days"?!!!
Salaams.
Peter
I remember visiting the Purnea in Hull about 1972 / 73 shortly afterwhich I think she was disposed of. I must say she was in a poor state of disrepair. In fact shortly after I saw her in Hull she was detained by the coastguard in the US Gulf for various safety defects

Regards

Peter Fielding
9th August 2005, 09:11
Thanks for that, Bankliner and GTinOZ, I suspected that the old girl had long since gone for conversion into beer cans and razor blades, but sorry to hear that she'd been so badly neglected.
Salaams,
Peter.

ChrisP
9th August 2005, 20:41
The Purnea came into Silley's at Falmouth in the mid 60's for a "quick paint job" and ended up having quite a bit of the bottom renewed if my memory is right. I remember I worked on her and the Landaura which crossed BI off my list of Companies to get a job with at sea!

ChrisP