Floating Dock

Malcolm S
22nd December 2008, 08:50
How often is a floating dock dry docked? And where?

Mike S
23rd December 2008, 08:18
The Floating Dock in Galveston Texas at the old Todd's Shipyard back in the fifties was an old WW2 dock. It was built in three sections and was capable of being split and then docking itself!
The two ends would dock the centre and then the centre would dock the two ends.
We were alongside there for six months and that thing was working 24/7 the whole time we were there.

JimC
23rd December 2008, 18:32
Probably the same as a regular vessel. At least once in four years. I expect if it's registered and ensured the regular regs would apply.

fred henderson
23rd December 2008, 19:01
Every floating dock that I have been on has been self-docking as Mike has posted. The only thing that I would add is that the part that is being docked is turned 90 degrees, so that it fits into the other parts.

Fred(Thumb)

JoK
23rd December 2008, 21:22
I don't think regs cover them..I think it is insurance.

Pat McCardle
24th December 2008, 02:25
There's a floating dry dock docked in at the former Doxford yard in Pallion, Sunderland. I think she came up from Whitby?

Jan Hendrik
24th December 2008, 03:56
A number of floating docks never dock and I have not heard of as regular as ships i.e. every 4 or 5 years.

Some floating docks are so isolated or tucked away in ports of which the country has not got the facility to dock.
That would mean such floating dock would have to be towed to another country and that would not happen that regular.

Interesting topic, thanks
Jan

John Paul
24th December 2008, 09:00
I can remember in Falmouth that AFD 35 was docked in AFD 5 on one occasion,this must have been in the late 1950's. I think that that was the last time that AFD 5 was used. Eventually she was towed away but sunk under tow.
I am not sure what happened to the smaller floating docks.
Maybe some one could fill in the missing details

Sarky Cut
24th December 2008, 09:32
I can remember in Falmouth that AFD 35 was docked in AFD 5 on one occasion,this must have been in the late 1950's. I think that that was the last time that AFD 5 was used. Eventually she was towed away but sunk under tow.
I am not sure what happened to the smaller floating docks.
Maybe some one could fill in the missing details

AFD, Admiralty Floating Dock, Two were built in drydock in Portsmouth late
50's early 60's to service the Nukes of the time AFD 59 and AFD 60, had all their own facilities to service the subs and accomodate the crews.

There was a huge floating dock alongside the North Wall of Portsmouth Royal Naval Dockyard for many years, story was it was an ex German Piece of kit taken as reparation. This was never serviced in all the time I was there.

As an aside it was used to refit the Mull of Kintyre as a repair facility over a number of years.

It was then towed out to Spithead and stayed there spoiling the TV signal for many weeks before it was towed away. South America was the destination I believe.

In those far off years the TransAtlantic Liners always announced their arrival by interfering with the TV signal, it would get weaker and stronger as they transited the channel upto the Brambles, this would continue until they were well past Fawley.

Played havoc with the Potters Wheel and Muffin the Mule.(A)

JoK
24th December 2008, 10:16
I've never seen the floating docks across the harbour taken out. In fact the old dock use to leak and it would not be uncommon for the Chief to be calling the dockmaster becouse of the list. That dock was built in the 40s and towed away several years ago to an unknown destination.

Tom Grant
27th February 2009, 17:29
Greetings All Members

I have an Avid interest in Naval Heraldry, and am trying to find out all i can about the Crests /Badges of Admiralty Floating Docks i have badges for Floating Docks Number 20 58 and 60, i have rea about AFD 17 , and Also AFD 23 , so it follows that they had consecitive Numbers and it looks like they are all missing , once again lost to History
I would appreciate any information about the badges /Crests of any Floating Docks that any members have any knowledge of

Regards

Aye Tom

John Campbell
27th February 2009, 18:41
Not many masters have had their ship sink in a floating dock. Well I am one.
When I was master of "Texaco Westminster" she was wrecked in the largest floating docking the Medi at that time at Palermo in 1973.
The dock was wrenched from its attachments and in a severe storm which destroyed the harbor breakwater, We floated out to sea and then back alongside demolishing a marina and the dock itself. I will never forget the dock sides collapsing and the cranes falling on the decks, We had the prop off and the tail shaft inboard plus plates and plugs on the bottom out so we sank on the dock ripping the ship's bottom severely. The prop and pilgrim nut fell overboard and were subsequently recovered.

We lost no lives and had to abandon ship by sliding down a gauntline paratrooper style. A great adventure and we had the eyes of the mafia on us as they smelt easy money and salvage.

I stayed with the vessel after salvage and tow up to Genoa - then on with an Italian crew and Texaco British Engineers to Greece at top speed of eight knots and maximum astern revs of about 30. Those things would never happen now - Braer and other disasters have seen to that

john fraser
27th February 2009, 18:47
Yesterday here in Bollingers in Texas City they floated out a small floating dock from a larger floating dock in enable our dsv to drydock on Monday

Ben
4th June 2009, 23:39
Greetings All Members

I have an Avid interest in Naval Heraldry, and am trying to find out all i can about the Crests /Badges of Admiralty Floating Docks i have badges for Floating Docks Number 20 58 and 60, i have rea about AFD 17 , and Also AFD 23 , so it follows that they had consecitive Numbers and it looks like they are all missing , once again lost to History
I would appreciate any information about the badges /Crests of any Floating Docks that any members have any knowledge of

Regards

Aye Tom

Tom, I served on AFD60 at HMS Neptune (Clyde Submarine Base) 1968-1969.
"She" was built to dock down the four polaris submarines. I was not aware that AFD60 had a badge and would welcome a glimpse of it.

After the last Polaris boat was decommissioned (late 1990s) AFD60 was sold, I believe to Iceland. I have no proof of this but recall seeing a photo of AFD60 being towed out of the Gareloch, in the Navy News. For some time I tried to get a copy of that photo, but NN could not help unless I gave them a month and year.

Regards.

Steve Woodward
5th June 2009, 07:42
The only other dock that I know of that suffered a catstrophic failure was AFD28 in Trincomalee on the 08th. August 1944 whilst Docking the battleship Valiant, Valiant was so badly damaged she never returned to service.

Billieboy
5th June 2009, 09:25
Not many masters have had their ship sink in a floating dock. Well I am one.
When I was master of "Texaco Westminster" she was wrecked in the largest floating docking the Medi at that time at Palermo in 1973.

Mr. Turkovic, (Chief Supt. Texaco Europe), must have really lost his rag with the shipyard!(Cloud)

CEEDEE
27th June 2009, 11:14
I sevrved on AFD60 at Faslane in the 80's. It was a great piece of kit, I drove one of the rail mounted cranes used for removing parts of broken subs. She was sold in the 90's to a shipyard in Iceland for the drydocking of the fishing fleet I heard. The starboard crane fell over the side during a storm on the way there.

drmackenzie
3rd October 2010, 21:19
Hi guys first post! I belive the AFD 60's unoficial badge was the God Poseidon with his Trident in one hand and an old bomber in the other, I also know that when they carried out a nuclear docking they played the theme tune to Monty Pythons Flying Circus through the PA !!!

fred henderson
4th October 2010, 14:08
A warm welcome to SN drmackenzie. I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you.

tom sheriff
4th October 2010, 14:41
During my aprenticeship with Harland & Wolff we had a small floating dock at the No2 repair yard in the Norway Dock of the Surrey Docks in London, the largest vessel it could lift was No 5 Dredger of the Port of London Authority. Twenty years ago while based in Hong Kong I would take the high speed catermaran up the Pearl River to Lin Hua Shan, passing the three large floating docks of the Hong Kong and Wampoa Drydock company moored off Lantau Island

CAPTAIN JEREMY
4th October 2010, 14:45
Having recently docked in one of the floating docks in Grand Bahama Shipyard, I find it hard to believe that they are ever surveyed. Throughout the 17 day docking, the yards steel dept were renewing steel plates on the dock floor, which were severely corroded. Despite their efforts, when the dock was being "sunk" at the end of our docking, there were numerous fountains as the dock floor submerged due to the air escaping through holes in the dock bottom.

R58484956
4th October 2010, 14:53
Greetings DRMackenzie and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

stan mayes
4th October 2010, 15:52
Yesterday I posted a photo of a floating dock in Hamburg
which had capsized with a passenger ship in it - 1938.
Stan

Gulpers
4th October 2010, 18:51
Hi guys first post! I belive the AFD 60's unoficial badge was the God Poseidon with his Trident in one hand and an old bomber in the other, I also know that when they carried out a nuclear docking they played the theme tune to Monty Pythons Flying Circus through the PA !!!

drmackenzie,

On behalf of the Moderating Team, a warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Join in our discussions and you will get many hours of pleasure from your membership. (Thumb)

Derek Roger
4th October 2010, 19:07
I've never seen the floating docks across the harbour taken out. In fact the old dock use to leak and it would not be uncommon for the Chief to be calling the dockmaster becouse of the list. That dock was built in the 40s and towed away several years ago to an unknown destination.

The one that sank in Halifax I understand insurance told them to get lost as it had not been maintained to a satisfactory level . Dond know if it was capable of self docking .

Jan Hendrik
5th October 2010, 14:03
The original question in this thread was about a floating dock docking in another dock.

Here is one.
Jan

Georgezx9
15th February 2012, 00:01
Hi All, I used to manage the design and maintenance of the last 7 UK floating docks, for the RN.

I have a metal blank of the AFD60 crest, this can be used as a plug to make moulds from.

The crest was not Official, she was never commissioned, the description is correct, it was neptune (or poseidin?, with a trident and a submarine, we used to joke that one of the last dockmasters, modelled for the character in the crest.

I also have amassed a collection of information.

History of all UK AFDs, and what happened to them
History of AFD60, and why it was located where it ended up, this includes details on all the dockmasters from the start to the end, it also lists all the ships docked by AFD60
I also have a very brief of why faslane, is where it is.
I have a set of layout drawings for AFD60 and AFD59 (AFD59 was much stronger, and did not suffer the overloading of thje tank bulkheads).

I also careened AFD60, in the early 90s, this was part of the drive to obtain a partial nuclear safety case for SRD.

Regards

Iain Crosbie
18th February 2012, 15:21
I think you can see the Icelandic/Faslane one on Google Earth in the town of Hafnarfjordur. I'd like to see some film of one of these things docking itself.

Pat Kennedy
18th February 2012, 16:03
I watched one day as they dismantled one of the floating docks in Hamburg, and docked each section sideways into another floating dock.
Then they shotblasted and painted the hulls. Four days later it was refloated and re-assembled.
German efficiency.
Pat

roofaerosyth
18th February 2012, 19:13
theres a pic of an mod floating dock(cant remember what one it was), being towed away from rosyth in the early 90s.its in the rmas gallery under the name nimble.roo.

gail-you
15th August 2012, 20:31
Tom, I served on AFD60 at HMS Neptune (Clyde Submarine Base) 1968-1969.
"She" was built to dock down the four polaris submarines. I was not aware that AFD60 had a badge and would welcome a glimpse of it.

After the last Polaris boat was decommissioned (late 1990s) AFD60 was sold, I believe to Iceland. I have no proof of this but recall seeing a photo of AFD60 being towed out of the Gareloch, in the Navy News. For some time I tried to get a copy of that photo, but NN could not help unless I gave them a month and year.

Regards.

Hi i have the photo you are looking for ben please drop in and say hello and you are very welcom to copy the picture here is the link to the page http://www.facebook.com/#!/KilcregganMemories .Gail

sonofchippy2
29th October 2012, 03:30
Hi All, I used to manage the design and maintenance of the last 7 UK floating docks, for the RN.

I have a metal blank of the AFD60 crest, this can be used as a plug to make moulds from.

The crest was not Official, she was never commissioned, the description is correct, it was neptune (or poseidin?, with a trident and a submarine, we used to joke that one of the last dockmasters, modelled for the character in the crest.

History of AFD60, and why it was located where it ended up, this includes details on all the dockmasters from the start to the end, it also lists all the ships docked by AFD60
I have a set of layout drawings for AFD60 and AFD59 (AFD59 was much stronger, and did not suffer the overloading of thje tank bulkheads).

I also careened AFD60, in the early 90s, this was part of the drive to obtain a partial nuclear safety case for SRD.

Regards

HI, my father served on what i thought was AFD66 and 67 or 68 in 1944 1945 . AFD66 sunk in a storm in the bay of biscay under tow.
interesting story I will put in my website very soon.But official admiralty report is already there.
I cant fathom how numbers went as obviously newer and more recent docks have lower numbers.
AFd 66 perhaps refered to AUXILLARY floating dock, As they accomodated smaller vessels. refer to my website
the photos may help us.any help appreciated.
also any idea what a bumping circle is. Dad had a medal Portsmouth flotilla winner Bumping circle. some sort of sporting event.
[[COLOR="Blue"]url]http://[COLOR="blue"]www.afd-floatingdocks.20fr.com

Wrecker2
18th February 2014, 08:42
(K)I worked on AFD60 twice the first time was in 1977 when I joined her she was in drydock in Port Glasgow for a 6 month docking and hull check, at that time I was killick stoker. she was affecionately known in Faslane as the penal colony due to the number of former inhabitants of RNDQ that were posted there. The crew were generally RN and a mix of Submariners and General Service led by a Lt Cdr Shipwright desiganated The Dockmaster.The second time was as a PO Stoker between 1982 -1985 during that time I became much more familiar with the operation of the dock and became qualified to sink and pump out with whatever we were docking all under the guidance of the Dockmaster (Mike Cammish & Charlie Chaplin are 2 I remember). The dock may not have been commisioned but we flew a White Ensign every day from a jackstaff outside the Valve House and woebetide anybody who forgot to see to the flag at colours.
The Monty Python theme tune was used to summon all hands to docking stations and man the capstans and breast for actually docking a vessel. in my second stint most vessels were piped into the dock by one of the Shipwrights Duncan MacKay from Inverness or a recording if Duncan was not available. One of the most memorable dockings we did was for a US submarine which lost her prop in the irish sea and had to be towed back to the Holy Loch only to find out that their drydock was broken so she was punted to Faslane for AFD60 to take of her. During her visit I was doing round of the dock bottom as duty senior rate and as i emerged from under the blocks supporting the boat I was presented with the business end of a pump action shotgun in the hands of a very short ethnic gentleman who demanded to know why i was snooping about the dock bottom, ther followed a stand off until their Duty Chief appeared and enlightened the young man to the fact that I was the defacto duty officer on the Dock and he better not piss me off. The duty Chief and myself then headed to the SR bar for something to calm my nerves.

Regards

Wrecker2
18th February 2014, 08:53
(K)I worked on AFD60 twice the first time was in 1977 when I joined her she was in KG V drydock in Port Glasgow for a 6 month docking and hull check, at that time I was killick stoker. she was affecionately known in Faslane as the penal colony due to the number of former inhabitants of RNDQ that were posted there, despite this the crew were some of the most sociable characters I came accross in my time in the RN The crew were generally RN and a mix of Submariners and General Service led by a Lt Cdr Shipwright designated The Dockmaster, there were also 2 civillian crane drivers to cover operations during normal working hours. The second time was as a PO Stoker between 1982 -1985 during that time I became much more familiar with the operation of the dock and became qualified to sink and pump out with whatever we were docking all under the guidance of the Dockmaster (Mike Cammish & Charlie Chaplin are 2 I remember). The dock may not have been commissioned but we flew a White Ensign every day from a jackstaff outside the Valve House (the forward end) and woebetide anybody who forgot to see to the flag at colours.
The Monty Python theme tune was used to summon all hands to docking stations and man the capstans and breast for actually docking a vessel. in my second stint most vessels were piped into the dock by one of the Shipwrights Duncan MacKay from Inverness or a recording if Duncan was not available. One of the most memorable dockings we did was for a US submarine which lost her prop in the irish sea and had to be towed back to the Holy Loch only to find out that their drydock was broken so she was punted to Faslane for AFD60 to take of her. During her visit I was doing round of the dock bottom as duty senior rate and as i emerged from under the blocks supporting the boat I was presented with the business end of a pump action shotgun in the hands of a very short ethnic gentleman who demanded to know why i was snooping about the dock bottom, ther followed a stand off until their Duty Chief appeared and enlightened the young man to the fact that I was the defacto duty officer on the Dock and he better not piss me off. The duty Chief and myself then headed to the SR bar for something to calm my nerves.
I have a very greyish einsign in my loft which I salvaged from the skip and will someday give it pride of place in some space where it wont offend the wifes sense of taste.

Regards

Binnacle
18th February 2014, 10:32
In the sixties, after steering gear failure, ended up in the floating dry dock at Haugesund, loaded condition, full cargo drummed carbide. I believe this German built dock had been brought over from Scotland, presumably a war prize. Washing and toilet facilities superior to many British dry docks.

trotterdotpom
18th February 2014, 10:46
Duke and Orrs Drydock Melbourne - what a laugh, returning on board pissed and getting lifted on by a crane. Happy days.

John T