Saxonia

Ian
9th April 2004, 18:11
The turbine steamer SAXONIA (1954/21,637 grt) photographed at Southampton shortly before being renamed CARMANIA.

hendy
5th April 2005, 20:30
It was great to see your photo of Saxonia. I remember going aboard her as a lad in Liverpool (Huskison Dock maybe) in the late 60's.
My Dad was an ex-Cunard printer & we went to see some of his old shipmates.
Thanks (:D)

allan bennett
12th July 2012, 11:38
Nice Photo,I did three trips on her in 1960,(Captain JOHN TREASURE JONES) had a great time as a deck boy,I still use the knowledge that i learnt on this ship. There was a programme on the box last night(11/7/12) and JTJ was on it.It was about the last days of the liners,worth watching.

R58484956
12th July 2012, 15:24
Alan, Also saw the programme, it was very interestiing.

Jeff Taylor
12th July 2012, 16:20
Growing up in New Jersey I had a neighbor who, along with her London based son, did numerous trips annually on Queen ships. When I told her we were going to Europe and hoped to return on one of the Queens, she said I must tell her which booking and she would give me a letter of introduction to "darling Geoffrey Marr" (QE)or "that rascal Treasure-Jones" (QM). By the time we went the rascal and the Mary were gone, and the Elizabeth was on short time, but I did give her letter to Cdr Marr. She must have pulled some weight because it got us Captain's cabin cocktails, a dinner at the Captain's table, Brandies in the Verandah Grill, and the next day I got a top to bottom tour including a short stint at the helm of the Elizabeth. As I said, it must have been quite a letter--I almost wish I had steamed it open! It would have been nice to meet JTJ though.

allan bennett
12th July 2012, 20:31
Ihad an experience on the Saxonia, We were in QUEBEC,and i was called to the Captains cabin to be told both my parents were dying, i asked JTJ if i could finish the trip back to Southampton,he was great and i did complete the trip, I think he was impressed as i was only 16 and a bit,when we got back,i had a taxi waiting to the station,the train booked,and off i went. It was a hard voyage as i worked the deck,so i fell asleep on the train,only to be woken up at St budeux station,by both parents,they missed me, wrecked my career, thats life. but i would have loved to go back, alas i never did, i served 23 years in the R.N,last ship? Atlantic Conveyor 1982 Survivor or what?

brickhead
27th December 2013, 13:07
Alan, Also saw the programme, it was very interestiing.
do you know how many and the make of the "SAXONIA"(CARMANIA)
main ships boilers??
brickhead

Stephen J. Card
27th December 2013, 13:36
Saxonia

4 Water Tube Boilers at max pressure 605lbs (580lbs when superheated to 800degF). 2663tons oil fuel.

The boilers were built by John Brown & Co. But not sure if this was built in license by another firm?

Stephen

alaric
27th December 2013, 15:55
Saxonia

4 Water Tube Boilers at max pressure 605lbs (580lbs when superheated to 800degF). 2663tons oil fuel.

The boilers were built by John Brown & Co. But not sure if this was built in license by another firm?

Stephen

Design by Foster Wheeler or Babcock Wilcox?

Stephen J. Card
27th December 2013, 22:23
Design by Foster Wheeler or Babcock Wilcox?

Not the foggiest!

Can't help this time.

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
28th December 2013, 01:04
Just picked up one item....

CARINTHIA. Name / Owner: CARINTHIA Cunard Line. .... Power: Foster Wheeler boilers providing steam for Pametrada geared turbines producing 44,000 shp,

So.... SAXONIA... if this information is as for CARINTHIA... Foster Wheeler.

You mentioned Babock & Wilcox... they were American built boilers... whould they would have been put into UK ships?

Stephen

alaric
28th December 2013, 10:05
Well done, I spent a couple of hours googling but didn't manage to find this.
Babcock Wilcox and Foster Wheeler both started life in USA but became international design companies. All major British engine builders built the boilers under licence.

Stephen J. Card
28th December 2013, 13:01
Thanks also for that info.

My initial boiler search seemed to best for Yarrow. Searching Cunard vessels there seemed to be most choice was for Yarrow... up to QUEEN MARY etc. Seemed a logical choice.... was not though.

Have another question re the SAXONIA. My easiest way to find number boilers for these 4 SAXONIA sisters... check the dome on the funnel.... can easily see four uptakes. (Not exactly 'technical'!) There were other internet and books info that mention four boilers BUT.... 1990 Lloyds Register I could find DAWN PRINCESS and FAIR PRINCESS says the ships have THREE boilers, not four. Boilers say John Brown on Clydebank.... that was listed, no problem, but why 3? I am thinking that perhaps one boiler was replaced during rebuilt forr Sitmar... unlikely?

Stephen

alaric
28th December 2013, 18:59
Hello Stephen,
An ingenious boiler counting system, but not the most accurate?
Reduction from 4 to 3 boilers. Could be that;
1. Remaining boilers were uprated with new burners, output maintained and space put to new use. eg additional aircon plant when changing from North Atlantic to blue water cruising.
2. Remaining boilers not uprated, full power and speed not required when cruising. Probably only about 2 knots top speed would be lost, and it is far more efficient to operate 3 boilers at 80% capacity than 4 at 60%. Space saving for other uses still a bonus as in 1. above.
Building a ship with three boilers from the outset could be an attractive option. Shaw Savill's Southern Cross had 3 Yarrow boilers (built by H&W, not Yarrows themselves, as per previous posts relating to Babcock and Foster Wheeler).
I sailed as a passenger on the Cross in the 1990s when it was cruising as Ocean Breeze. It could easily maintain it's 17 knt schedule on 2 boilers and over the course of a year, just 3 boilermakers sailed with the ship and re-tubed all 3 boilers, one at a time. A cheap, efficient solution without incurring downtime that no doubt contributed to the ship giving almost 50 years service.

Hamish Mackintosh
28th December 2013, 20:13
Saxonia The ship I came to Canada on , sailed out of Liverpool May 8th 1957

Stephen J. Card
28th December 2013, 20:43
Saxonia The ship I came to Canada on , sailed out of Liverpool May 8th 1957

And you don't remember what make the boilers were?(Pint)

Stephen

Hamish Mackintosh
29th December 2013, 00:27
And you don't remember what make the boilers were?(Pint)

Stephen

No spent all my time swamping rum and cokes all the way across, I think I was what is termed "A Blood"

brickhead
29th December 2013, 18:37
thanks stephen & alaric for your info concerning SAXONIA(CARMANIA) regarding
make & number of main ships boilers,thanks again
brickhead

Invercroft
29th December 2013, 21:50
They were built with 4 boilers, Yarrow 3 drum design.

Can't remember the type, but remember that they had a huge rotary air preheater.

brickhead
30th December 2013, 16:11
thanks invercroft for information concerning SAXONIA and her main boilers
brickhead