m v rakaia

Barrie hudd
30th July 2005, 12:16
I sailed on this ship in the late 60 as an engineer are ther any members who sail on this fine ship

Rusty
30th July 2005, 23:21
Hi Barrie,

There is a website devoted to cadet training ships, one of which was the "Rakaia". Try www.rakaia.co.uk for some pics of that ship and info.
I did one voyage on her to Oz and back as 2nd R/O way back in 1959.

Rusty

Tom Haywood
1st August 2005, 23:29
I only coasted the Rakaia from Liverpool to London (July/August 67) and remember that she was realy the odd one within the NZS Co's fleet, ex Empire ????. Also remember that the accomadation suffered from exhaust fumes from the very short funnel with anything blowing from astern.

Tom Haywood

R58484956
2nd August 2005, 10:21
Ex Empire Abercorn (1946) built H & W belfast 1945.

thundert
15th October 2012, 19:21
I am hoping someone will be able to help me find out some info on my fatherís time as a deck boy on M.V Rakaia. All I have at the moment is a picture of my father in his deck uniform and a picture of M.V Rakaia where he has written on the back his name and date of Sept 1958. I also have a picture of M.V Otaio where he has written on the back To mum love John.
My fatherís name was Reginald John Stannard dob 17/7/42. He sadly died in 1981 and I am now researching his life. His parents died when he was 4 and he spent some years in childrenís homes before he went to live with foster parents. From memory He told us he joined the Navy when he was 14 and sailed to New Zealand. He joined the army in 1960 when he was 18 and stated his occupation as merchant seaman. Do you know where I might find any records of his time on board these ships? I have looked through the photos on the Rakaia site but he is not in any of them.
Thanks
Cheryl

john w mills
4th January 2014, 17:06
I joined the MV rakia in 1964 and done 2 world trips on her, on my maiden voyage I had an appendix operation done to the fact it ruptured as we crossed the Australian bight heading from New Zealand to South Africa.

heathenscot
22nd April 2014, 16:54
I sailed on her in 1969.

handybilly7
23rd April 2014, 01:03
Was Bernie Richardson Cadet Captain in the late 1960's?

Cutsplice
23rd April 2014, 20:44
Cheryl. I never sailed on the MV Rakia but seen her many times in the sixties. I only knew the vessel as a cadet ship during that time, in that role she did carry one possibly two deck boys. All the others were cadets the deck boys were buglers that played the Revellie and the Last Post etc during the various flag routines. Apparently these boys had normally done their pre sea training at the TS Indefatigable in Nth Wales where they learned to play the bugle.
Therefore it's quite possible your dad attended there prior to going to sea, there is a Indefatigable site on the internet which may be well worth investigating for your search purposes. If he was at that training school most likely it was 1957 to 1958, they were there for a minimum period of 12 months some as long as 18 months.
Best wishes in your search.