C632

mike 555
24th December 2008, 15:42
i am still in the process of research on the c632.
see picture above (my avatar)
still can not obtain the general arrangement plans
of this small tanker,and no one seems to have worked on
this small ship from her build,in 1947 up until 1977.
there must be someone who knows something somewhere.(Thumb)

Lancastrian
25th December 2008, 22:13
C632 is not listed as ever having been operated as an RFA, so as the remains of her colour scheme indicate, she was probably always YCS/PAS/RMAS. Her correct designation would have been - Lighter, fuel (or possibly water as indicated by blue funnel band).
LINK (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11282&d=1222182115) to your photo posted in another forum.
This is all the latest RFA bible has to say about -
C Craft
"The Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft. Many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy). C numbers were allocated to, for example, dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs. A number were registered as RFAs and many wore the 'green stripe' that indicated the Naval Stores Department. Those traced as having served as RFAs are listed in the Fleet List, although it is difficult to be precise on their RFA dates."
If the authors of the book were able to find so little information, I am not surprised you are having similar problems, she wasnt exactly the pride of anyones fleet, and may not have had a permanent crew.

GBXZ
1st January 2009, 03:30
Mike
She's not named the 'Vital Spark' is she?

(Jester)