HMAS Brisbane

trotterdotpom
1st August 2005, 04:40
HMAS Brisbane: Charles F Adams Class Guided Missile Destroyer, built by Defoe Shipbuilding, Michigan, USA, 1966. Served in Vietnam and the First Gulf War. She was also involved in Darwin in post-Cyclone Tracy assistance.

Yesterday, 31.7.05, I went to see her scuttled off Mooloolooba, at Queensland's Sunshine Coast, where she will form a dive site and artificial reef.
Explosives were used in order to ensure she sank quickly and sat upright on the seabed. The explosives were detonated by Mr Peter Beatty, Premier of the State of Queensland (some folk might say he should have done it from the Brisbane's bridge!).

After a couple of large flashes and a few loud bangs she disappeared in less than a minute. A sad sight but, as one of her ex Captains said on TV, better than just ending up in some scrapyard. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any photographs as I was too busy watching threw binoculars. No doubt there will be some on the web somewhere.

The upside of it all is, I think I was on TV when they were filming the observers. The downside is, I was supposed to be at work!

When they showed the sinking on the TV news, I noticed that she was flying the Australian Red Ensign, instead of the RAN's White Ensign. Would that be because she was no longer a commissioned naval vessel?

I had a slight connection with the ship. In about 1981, I was working on MV 'Brisbane Trader", an ANL ro-ro ship carrying cars to Western Australia from Melbourne. We were in Fremantle and received word that the police were coming aboard and nobody was to leave the ship.

It turned out that a girl had been sexually assaulted the previous night and a taxi driver had brought the perpetrator back to 'Brisbane Trader'. We were to be in a line-up. The Seamen's Union delegates carried on a bit because they thought it was only the crew who were to be in the line-up, but it transpired that the police weren't interested in the 'Class Struggle' and we were all checked out. Fortunately, the young lady didn't recognise any of us, but it must have been an upsetting experience for her. When the taxi driver's turn came, he said it wasn't this ship, 'it's the navy ship down the wharf,' - yes, HMAS Brisbane. I don't know the outcome of that, but at least the honour of the MN was saved.

John T.

Doug Rogers
1st August 2005, 05:01
Must have been sad to see her go like that but at least she is doing good where she is and its a lot better than the scrap yard for sure.

Paul UK
1st August 2005, 09:53
Pictures you are after on on the BBC news web site for the UK or they were last night including pics of her on the bottom.

Re the flag I suspect that she had been sold to the company who will own the "reef" hence no longer at that point a Navy Ship.

Paul

Guy Thomas
2nd August 2005, 14:00
HMAS Brisbane: Unfortunately, I was unable to get any photographs as I was too busy watching threw binoculars. No doubt there will be some on the web somewhere.

When they showed the sinking on the TV news, I noticed that she was flying the Australian Red Ensign, instead of the RAN's White Ensign. Would that be because she was no longer a commissioned naval vessel?
John T.

John
Just a point of interest, the red flag flying from the stern was actually not an ensign, but just signifying explosives aboard.
There will be some good photos posted around the web; the Qld Parks & Wildlife Service / Environmental Protection Agency web site at www.epa.qld.gov.au has a lot of information about the Brisbane project & video & photos of the scuttling will be posted there shortly.

Sure was a big day on the water !

trotterdotpom
2nd August 2005, 16:21
Thanks, Guy.

Thought I'd spotted something different with the flag. Just noticed that I was watching "threw" binnoculars - duh, getting old!

Tried to get on a boat but they wanted $200 (beer, wine, seafood, etc) - would have been great but had to drive afterwards so couldn't have got my money's worth.

John

jimmyc
15th April 2006, 11:31
I served on the Fighting 41
77/79 payed off on her
went to England took part in the
Silver Jubilee Spithead Review
The Captain Peter Sinclair went on
to be Rear Admiral and
34th Governor of New South Wales

this site has pictures and video for the ship

http://hmas-brisbane.mysunshinecoast.com.au/

jimmyc
15th April 2006, 12:00
We followed Hmas Melbourne around during the trip
we were rescue destroyer
we recovered the crews of a Seaking and Wessex
helicopters that decided to fall from the sky
we ran over one of the choppers
and managed to rescue the crew

exsailor
15th April 2006, 12:37
Seems to be the 'in thing', sinking old Naval vessels as dive sites. I hope you Aussies are a bit better at it than us Kiwis.
HMNZS Wellington (ex HMS Bacchante) was, after being stripped by the Navy, purchased by the Sink F69 Trust for $1. She was towed to Wellington, and after being further stripped of anything that could be sold, was sunk off Baring Head on 13 Nov '05 as a dive site/reef. Local fishermen and Cook Strait seamen said she would not last 6 months. Sure enough, after the first decent blow through the Strait, the seabed was littered with a pile of pieces and all sorts of junk was washed up along the coast. Seems to have been a strange silence about the mess from the 'greenies' who thought a home for the 'fishies' was a nice idea.

jimmyc
15th April 2006, 14:24
Seems to be the 'in thing', sinking old Naval vessels as dive sites. I hope you Aussies are a bit better at it than us Kiwis.
HMNZS Wellington (ex HMS Bacchante) was, after being stripped by the Navy, purchased by the Sink F69 Trust for $1. She was towed to Wellington, and after being further stripped of anything that could be sold, was sunk off Baring Head on 13 Nov '05 as a dive site/reef. Local fishermen and Cook Strait seamen said she would not last 6 months. Sure enough, after the first decent blow through the Strait, the seabed was littered with a pile of pieces and all sorts of junk was washed up along the coast. Seems to have been a strange silence about the mess from the 'greenies' who thought a home for the 'fishies' was a nice idea.
The ship had been 're-ballasted' to compensate for the tonnes of materials that had been stripped from it for environmental and safety reasons. More than two-hundred tonnes of concrete were pumped into its base so that it had enough weight to sink.

meltech
30th July 2006, 11:55
We were alongside at Newstead Farm on M.V.Century, I took this photo of H.M.A.S. Brisbane arriving on her delivery voyage. We have just dipped our ensign and she has responded. So here is a picture when she was brand new.
John M.

jimmyc
30th July 2006, 12:30
Top picture
Is Newstead Farm in the US?

trotterdotpom
31st July 2006, 13:38
Top picture
Is Newstead Farm in the US?

Newstead is in Brisbane on the northside of the river. What used to be wharves and woolsheds is now all yuppie apartment buildings - same as everywhere, I suppose.

I'd say the photo is taken from Newstead and shows the south side of the river - Bulimba?

I remember passing "Brisbane" while she was alongside at Fremantle. We were sailing and dipped our ensign in salute. The ship was swarming with visitors and a sailor could be clearly seen bolting down aft pushing them out of the way to get to the ensign and respond. He made it in time - very impressive.

John T.

dom
31st July 2006, 14:41
what Trotterdotpom says is true,all yuppy apartments,not much gets up the river now ,some car carriers and a couple at bretts wharf,all container shipping is handled down at fishermans island at the mouth of the river

jimmyc
9th August 2006, 04:41
Its a great mark of respect "Dipping the Ensign "
from both parties involved
first time I was called to do that was on a patrol boat
in Papua New Guinea
with the Skipper yelling you dont have to dip it in the water

jimmyc
28th August 2007, 01:07
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jimmytheone/missile.jpg
Hmas Brisbane
Tartar Missile Maintainers