Hungry Ships

Arthur Jenner
3rd January 2009, 04:10
Most of my ships were tramps. I did sail on a few tankers & coasters but tramps were my favourites. Some of them were hungry but the hungriest was SS Carlton owned by Chapman & Willen of Newcastle. I could tell a few stories about that trip.

Arthur Jenner

spongebob
3rd January 2009, 04:37
Welcome to the site Arthur and let us have those stories about that ship.
we all have stories to tell and the narration by others often prompts the memory banks and produces a good thread.

Bob

J Boyde
3rd January 2009, 08:08
Arthur, I, and I am sure many other members, will be delighted to learn about you and you experiences. Many of the ships that are refered to as tramps have gone into history. It is what you, Arthur, and our members remember and record are important. There are so many events that have not been reported resulting in all losing history.
Jim B

Kevin Wright
3rd January 2009, 09:49
warm welcome from Thailand Arthur, glad to have you onboard, I agree with Bob & Jim,,, a lot of people nowadays would not understand what Tramp Ships were, I myself worked onboard a few Norwegian trampers.

Enjoy the site mate

Kevin

R58484956
3rd January 2009, 11:45
We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.

John Briggs
3rd January 2009, 11:49
Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.

Arthur Jenner
3rd January 2009, 14:33
Welcome to the site Arthur and many, many thanks for your account of my voyage as a seven year old on the old Fort Glenora.

Surprise surprise!
Here we are again. You are the only person that I ever sailed with that I have been in contact with. Nice to meet you again.

Arthur Jenner
3rd January 2009, 14:35
We are all awaiting your stories Arthur, whats the hold up.

Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton

Sister Eleff
3rd January 2009, 22:13
Just keeping you in suspense. I did post a story somewhere about the SS Carlton

For those that are interested, the thread is called The Bosun and the deck boy and can be found in the 'Tramp Ship' section.

demodocus22
16th January 2009, 02:19
hi arthur, i done a trip in the " carlton" in sep 59 to jan 60 went to, africa, then across to buenos aries, argentine, i was s.o.s done 4 on 4 off the whole trip, i think i was the only one from liverpool, joined her in cammel lairds dry dock, what a trip, black cook, loved his brandy, some glasgow lads, one had his faced glassed in buenos , what trip, lucky to do 8 knots, was u there, what a shock comming from the blue funnel line hahaha, but wanted to see other parts of the world, frank hughes

demodocus22
16th January 2009, 08:17
when where u in the carlton, i was s.o.s in her,

william.marshall439
5th July 2009, 22:52
I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton , and the grub was of the best , nicely cooked and very well presented, I was Chief Cook, seriously I must admit it could have been a lot better given a better budget, but the beer was excellent,kept it in the fridges, there was plenty spare room in there. After paying off Demeterton had to wait over a week for my pay off money from Newcastle .

Ron Stringer
5th July 2009, 23:20
I too was on the Carlton and the Demeterton

Saw the Dmemterton launched from Readhead's yard at South Shields. She was the last ship that I worked on (as very junior helper) before moving from South Shields to Chelmsford. The radio installation was done by Sid Burnett who fitted most of the Marconi-equipped ships that came out of Readheads. Earlier this year he was still alive, in a nursing home and well into his nineties.

demodocus22
6th July 2009, 04:53
hi u should have been in the carlton, then, we had a black cook, was it u, ??? as soon as we hit port he was on the brandy, he could not cook for ??? as they say, " who called the cook a c, who called the c a cook," but stll enjoyed my trip in her, all of 7 knots with the wind and sea behind us, when in B/A, had to wait for the tide to take us up to Roserio, even comming into Avonmouth, just as well we had a tug, frank

jim morris
27th July 2009, 23:40
I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim

tsell
28th July 2009, 10:35
My experience of Chapmans was in the Nurtureton in the 50's.
I have posted my story in the thread 'What was the worst ship you sailed on', post #18. The memory of that voyage will live with me forever!

Taffy R556959

stan mayes
28th July 2009, 15:22
I sailed on the old DEMETERTON Liberty ship built in 1944 from May 1958 till July 1959. The best trip that I had in the 5 years I was at sea. Joined it at Dagenham dock,

We had a cook from Ceylon and the 2nd cook was a Liverpool piss head (Freddie Sumner). The cook never went ashore all trip but the rest of the catering staff (2nd cook, A/S and myself Cabin Boy did and had a great time in the States, South America Japan, Canada back to the States then back down to South America again.

As far I can remember the grub was ok. It must have been as we were away for 14 months and I was still alive to pay off. 6 of those months we were without a Chief Steward. It beats those British Tankers trips anyday.

Happy sailing.
Jim
Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan

jim morris
3rd August 2009, 23:21
Jim -
Demeterton was not a Liberty ship she was a British Standard WW2 type built at Burntisland.
She was sold in 1964 renamed Jayshree -Hong Kong flag.
!965 sold and renamed Freedom Venture -Hong Kong flag.
1971 broken up in Taiwan.
Regards
Stan

Thanks for that info Stan, I was only a lowly cabin boy so was not into the technical side of ships but was always under the impression that it was built in the states in 1944. I stand corrected. Nice to know what her fate was.
All the best.
Jim

john powles
26th March 2013, 21:28
Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.

expats
12th May 2013, 12:34
Hi. I sailed on both the MV Demeterton & the MV Carlton in the 1960s my first ship the Demeterton as a junior engineer joined in january 1967 in Amsterdam & had the unforturnate accident of walking off the street into one of the canels & it was bloody freezing at the time.got a lift back to the ship in a convicts outfit by favour of the Amsterdam police ,boy did I look a sight for the crew.--happy day,s all gone now -but happy the the Demeterton is still going strong although not as pretty now.

I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)

Erimus
12th May 2013, 13:09
As an agency clerk on the Tees in the 1960's/early 70's we heard lots of stories about hungry ships..including the Hungry Hogarths, where, in fact, I never had a bad meal.

I was at a pay-off sign on once and a new Chief Steward came aboard and was delighted to be there ' he joined the company as they had more to spend per man than his previous owners (unknown) '....that figure was 3s 4d per man/day and the company was J.J. Denholm.....

geoff

Burned Toast
12th May 2013, 13:26
I joined the 'Demeterton' as R/O in Amsterdam in jan 1968. The R/O before me had some sort of skin complaint (his nickname was "The Plant")....The captain was Williams??? and 2nd mate was Bamber?(the apprentices nicknamed him "The Bishop") a real dour character and an engineer who'd played rugby for Hartlepool; a fitness fanatic. There was also the 'randiest' apprentice I'd ever come across; he looked and acted like Mick Jagger but he could certainly 'pull' the girls...

There was a rule that when buying cases of beer (Tennants) every can with a picture of "Ann?? boating on Loch Lomond" was deemed a 'clit can' and was put into a communal collection and drunk by all (I once had a case with almost half as 'clit cans': an expensive case)

She was possibly the worst feeder I'd ever been on. The fat and gristle from sunday's roast was served as a curry on monday and several day's potatoes were usually peeled in one go and left in buckets on deck where they seemed to dry out (I remember chips being as brown inside as out)

was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray

expats
12th May 2013, 13:56
was the 2nd/Mate name Antoine Bamber, bit of a religious man, he was with Oregon SS for many years.
Ray

I'm not sure of his first name but he was religious . In any conversation he'd reply to what had been said several minutes before; rather off-putting.

john powles
12th May 2013, 17:31

Hi. I was on the Demeterton in '68 & I remember the clic cans you mentioned The chief steward used to put the clic cans together in some of the cases- if you complained about the food & ,when you bought a case of beer {tennants} he made sure you got the ones with several clic cans in. the engineer you were on about was mic timlin commonly called thunderballs a tallish lad very fair hair ,I made him a 21 birthday Key of the door out of brass down in the engine room it was about 8" long & polished up nice & brite I wonder if he still has it took me a while to make it.the apprentice you mentioned I remember him to he did have a way with the girls & yes he was skinny ate like a horse & never put on a ounce of weight Captain Williams was a bit of a con man to we caught him switching pre-recorded cassette tapes with ones that he had copied off. the second engineer was John Mchann a tall Irishman the chief engineer was Allan Gilan from Sunderland ,the have both deceased now .

expats
13th May 2013, 09:31
John, I'm trying to 'put a face' to your name....

As I remember it we did a US/Ocean Island/China/Aussie/Durban/Boulogne run?
In Dalian I was called into a Red Guard comittee (my previous ship had been on a regular run to Leningrad and my discharge book was full of CCCP stamps) to describe life in Russia....I told them what I thought they wanted to hear and they stood and applauded me...
In Dalian there was another British Ship and we all went over in 'fancy dress' . I went as a cowboy; an engineer (maybe you?) nailed two bits of dunnage together, wore a sack, and went as 'Jesus' and the two apprentices pinched a pair of "Big Fat Gus's " long Johns and went as Siamese twins (God knows what the Chinese thought of us) to a party on board her. If memory serves, the C/Eng came back after midnight and was in 'deep ****' with the Red Guards...

Happy Days!

john powles
14th May 2013, 19:21

Hi again. when you were in darlien china & went over to the other british ship did you have one of those cheap air rifles to have a compertition with them because I made up a load of round targets to fire at whilst we were over there the losers had to supply the beer. I dont recall the out come just that it was great fun at the time & the red gaurds did,nt boter us. however they did enjoy watching us work in the engine room & also when we played cards at lunchtime {hunt the cu--t}as it was commonlly called.I was a bit unpopular at the game because I won to often.I remember a red guard {female} on the unloading crane knocking a wagon off the rail tracks which caused a load of funny hand gestures she was not very popular after that, much waving of the red book though.John

expats
14th May 2013, 19:40
Hi again. when you were in darlien china & went over to the other british ship did you have one of those cheap air rifles to have a compertition with them because I made up a load of round targets to fire at whilst we were over there the losers had to supply the beer. I dont recall the out come just that it was great fun at the time & the red gaurds did,nt boter us. however they did enjoy watching us work in the engine room & also when we played cards at lunchtime {hunt the cu--t}as it was commonlly called.I was a bit unpopular at the game because I won to often.I remember a red guard {female} on the unloading crane knocking a wagon off the rail tracks which caused a load of funny hand gestures she was not very popular after that, much waving of the red book though.John

I had a cheap air pistol and holster..... I remember playing table tennis at the 'Friendship Club'; winning the first game where-upon the guy sat down and read 'The Little Red Book' and then won the next two games 21-0....I bought a carpet and a picture made of feathers (I must have been drunk).

"Chase the Lady" (I'm being genteel) was THE card game there....

john powles
15th May 2013, 17:59
Hi again.I to bought one of those pictures made of feathers & it is now sort of a family hairloom as it has been passed down to my great nephew & its still in good condition, I also bought at the time a set of compasses which are still in use by me today. the air rifle also is still in the family that to is an hairloom the spring is a bit week now but its still in good nick with the original box to beleive or not I saw some lads with the same one doing a bit shooting -told them about mine & when I told them the price I paid in China for it they would,nt beleive me {2-17shl & theirs cost in the region of 50 odd .

expats
15th May 2013, 23:48
I also bought a toy bear pushing a drum....My daughter was 18 months old and was terrified of its flashing eyes...Mind you when she saw me she screamed; that lasted all of half an hour because we all went to the beach and 'daddy' carried her home.....

baileysan
21st May 2013, 22:02
Did a spell with Chapmans as 2/E(for reasons quite complicated) in the late 60's coasted a couple and then sailed on the Brighton for 6 months. Doxford economy, C/E went off me as I had ticket which meant he lost x number of pounds per months for not sailing with dispensation 2/E. Quite avoyage however I had worse food on many a so called quality company vessel.I did meet up with a Superintendent called Mr Coates, a real gentleman and true engineer and he gave me advice which I was never to regret. I was fortunate to meet up with him again in later life. Chapmans , put it down to life's experiances.