LOCH TORRIDON Completed

Shipbuilder
5th January 2009, 17:39
I have put this in as a new thread simply so I can see how many of you have been interested in the build!
Bob

K urgess
5th January 2009, 19:12
Excellent work, Bob.
I'm extremely jealous of such skills.
Best I could do was the Billings Viking Ship many years ago.
Cheers
Kris

ian d.cameron
5th January 2009, 21:49
Followed the build all the way through Bob. From that wee bit of wood to the finished work of art, truly amazing and a privilege to witness.
Thank you

makko
5th January 2009, 21:55
I have enjoyed the build sequence and congratulations on the finished product! I am going to have a go myself in the near future and hope to enrol my daughters! First a static display (very small) and then three into one bottle.
Peace and Prosperity for the New Year, Bob. I look forward to your future projects.
Rgds.
Dave

arfabuck
6th January 2009, 11:40
Congratulations on another superb model Bob.

I hope that you are successful in getting a suitably profitable outcome.

Art

nhp651
6th January 2009, 12:02
Simply described............Beautiful.
neil.

R58484956
6th January 2009, 16:12
Bob another masterpiece, thank you for showing us.

DURANGO
6th January 2009, 17:32
I have enjoyed the build sequence and congratulations on the finished product! I am going to have a go myself in the near future and hope to enrol my daughters! First a static display (very small) and then three into one bottle.
Peace and Prosperity for the New Year, Bob. I look forward to your future projects.
Rgds.
Dave I would give a lot of thought to the bottle Dave if you are going for three ships good luck with it all the best .

Fred Wood
8th January 2009, 18:18
Excellent model again. And, it looks just as good viewed from port or starboard! Do you find that one side ends up just a bit better than the other?

Fred

Shipbuilder
8th January 2009, 18:59
Hi Fred,
I suppose the weather side is more interesting as you can see more rigging. For years photographs of the front of the sails of my models tended to make them look a bit phoney, rather like paper. Eventally, I got better at getting the wind filled shape & seams correct as well as the setting of the lower square sails which I previously found very difficult to get right. Over the past couple of years, I have ben able to photograph them from either side and they look OK.
Bob

Fred Wood
12th January 2009, 13:37
Well Bob, I think she looks good both sides! I look forward to your next one, whether sh ebe sail or steam or motor, as they all look like they've been made with TLC.

Fred

Franktheboat
5th February 2009, 14:14
model maker shipbuilder

very nice too see lovely

frankpulford,< frank the boat > .

Franktheboat
5th February 2009, 14:21
something i forgot

i built a model of the loch torrens ten years ago it looks similar four masts and painted gunports it was in a book called how to build model clippers

franktheboat

Shipbuilder
5th February 2009, 18:13
Thanks Frank,
The book was by Hobbs and was written a long time ago. His model of the LOCH TORRENS was an imaginery one, but I am sure that he based it on LOCH TORRIDON. Why he didn't produce it as LOCH TORRIDON, I don't know, because a model of a real ship is of far greater value than an imaginery one.
Bob

japottinger
16th February 2009, 21:07
A well used pen Bob!.

Shipbuilder
17th February 2009, 08:48
And it has lasted longer than most, I usually loose them or get them covered in glue.
Bob

McCloggie
17th February 2009, 09:34
Yet again, a great model. Wish I had these skills 1

McC

jerome morris
17th February 2009, 19:20
Whats the next ship model Bob?

Shipbuilder
17th February 2009, 19:49
I have been working on the world's first ocean-going motor ship SELANDIA (1912) for some weeks, but making very slow progress because I am locked in a "Titanic battle" with Tiscali over my transfer from Orange to Tiscali Broadband (See Computers & the Internet, below).
Bob

Franktheboat
18th February 2009, 15:47
shipbuilder

you are dead right i bought the book in cornwall while on holiday,when i finished the model i sold it,
scrolling through the models on this site i came across an identical boat even down to the colour sceme but i cant find it now

Shipbuilder
18th February 2009, 17:07
The painted port colour scheme was very common in iron or steel hulled British sailing ships right up to the close of the 1890s. Then, as running expenses had to be kept to a minimum, most of them were painted slate grey. As far as I know, the British wool clipper MOUNT STEWART was the last painted port ship, still running in the 1920s!
Bob

Franktheboat
25th February 2009, 15:13
shipbuilder

you are dead right i bought the book in cornwall while on holiday,when i finished the model i sold it,
scrolling through the models on this site i came across an identical boat even down to the colour sceme but i cant find it now

wile brousing through the various models icame across perfect match it was identicaL TO MY LOCH TORRENS but i cannot find it again.

can anybody help