penrod rig NZ

are39
8th January 2009, 11:04
I was Mate on Grizzly bear and polar Bear towing Penrod 74 around NZ For 4 years.
going 140 miles south of Bluff anchoring her in 2500 feet with piggy backs.
Thinking back dont know how we did it,didnt even have posts down aft for towing,Archaic Eh
Any one know these boats.Especially any Yanks as she flew the stars stripes.
jumi5 mike bishop

Pat McCardle
8th January 2009, 13:16
When was this, possibly back in '78? I remember being in Bluff then on Somerset & an offshore vessel being in there, Morgan City, La reg. One of the AB's was from Sunderland named Joe Johnson (see My Gallery) & another guy from Skye or Islay. I got a box of 200 Crayfish tails off them for 5 packets of Golden Virginia, possibly the best deal I ever done!

are39
9th January 2009, 10:54
When was this, possibly back in '78? I remember being in Bluff then on Somerset & an offshore vessel being in there, Morgan City, La reg. One of the AB's was from Sunderland named Joe Johnson (see My Gallery) & another guy from Skye or Islay. I got a box of 200 Crayfish tails off them for 5 packets of Golden Virginia, possibly the best deal I ever done!

Hi Pat
Yes both the Grizzly bear and Polar bear was Registered Morgan City.Yank Learner skipper Rest of crew Kiwi,s.Yes was 78
The one you spoke about was the polar.That crew would give away there mother for a smoke.there name would have been Stoddarts from scotland
Mike bishop
jumi5

Pat McCardle
9th January 2009, 11:11
We were in Bluff for about 4-5 weeks so got a lot of visits from the guys off the Polar Bear as our beer was cheaper than up the road & we were closer & stayed open longer too. I can't remember the name of the Scots guy but remember Joe as he was from my home town & well known.

dave wybrow
11th November 2010, 16:53
I did a stint as radio op on the standby boat to this rig. Think the boat was called the Tanglow. It was off Palawan, Phillipines in the south China sea. I remember well someone being called up as Captain Bob on the Polar Bear - or maybe the Grizzly Bear when they were around the rig.

I kept getting called Captain Dave by huge Texans that populated the rig.

Actually it was a bit of a nightmare. Didnt know what I was doing since I'd blagged the job from a mercenary I met in Manillia. There was a typhoon or two, the boat sprang a leak and had to be fixed with old plimsols and cement. The skipper and crew were all tagalog speakers only. Much drunkeness, boat ran out of food etc etc.

Remember off-loading tons of drilling mud (Spearzene?) in the middle of the night in heavy swell. Ships mate had a toupee which kept flying off in the breeze...

It was terrible - and fantastic and I'd do it again tomorrow.

Nice to see the names Polar Bear and Grizzly bear again.

GlennysF
5th June 2011, 12:43
Long time after the original post but my husband was Chief Engineer on the Polar Bear in the late 70s. He was on it running out of Bluff then off Nelson for a while before they towed the Penrod up to Darwin and the Australians took over.

NZSCOTTY
10th June 2011, 00:02
Nice to hear you on here Jumi5 (Mike). Yes memories of the old Grizzly Bear! yank skippers popping pills to keep awake. I even started smoking again! Hot bedding during drill shifts 6 on/off. Only good thing was we earned at least twice as much as others on the coast.
Enjoy your retirement Mike
John

Captian Dag
22nd June 2011, 21:48
A couple of photos of the Polar Bear and Grizzly Bear from my good friend Ko Rusman.

If any of you have additional photos and would like to share, Please send PM

are39
2nd January 2012, 07:13
grizzlly bear polar bear Penrod 74 Mike bishop now
jumi2@bigpond.com.au
any one wants info photos