Cambridge

Chris Field
2nd August 2005, 22:51
Has anyone got any photos or other stuff about the "Cambridge"- I was shipped out as passenger in her to join USS Co of NZ in 1956.

michael james
2nd August 2005, 23:50
Chris: mv"Cambridge".

Federal S.S.Co Ltd Built 1937 as mv "Sussex" 11.063 GT Motorship 2 screws.
Transferred to P & O 1946 and renamed " Palana"
1954 Returned to Federal Line and renamed " Cambridge"

Scrapped 1962 - I can find no evidence that her name changed again before she was scrapped. No photos as yet

R58484956
3rd August 2005, 20:54
P & O Palana. she had a white ER crew ( as normally P&O had native crews.If an engineer upset anybody,but not a DR offence they were sent to the Palana as punishment, that ship put the fear of god into us native crew ships.

Chris Field
10th August 2005, 15:45
Thanks to the various bods who have filled a few gaps in my knowledge. Does anyone remember the Master on my voyage to NZ- P.P.O.Harrison - I believe he was well known for some specific reason. I found him to be a great guy.

KIWI
1st September 2005, 06:49
I joined Palana in Sydney at Cockatoo Dockyard.About 18 months earlier she had tried to go overland up the Barrier Reef & ended up with 2 holds & engine room flooded.We got to Sydney BOAC to Bombay Strathmore 1st Class BOMBAY/SYDNEY.We certainly were not being transported to the colonies for any sins committed.Unfortunately she ran the main bearings on trials twice & we returned to UK at reduced speed.In Fremantle generator threw con rod.In all earned rest before joining. KIWI

cheddarnibbles
1st September 2005, 16:49
Chris, Captain Harrison on the tanker KENT in 1963 was a sea-bird fanatic and wrote several books. We (his navigating officers) were instructed to call him should we ever spot an unusual one.
Stormy Petrels were very common, so we pulled his leg one day and called him to the bridge to view a Stormy Av-Gas. !!!! And, yes, he fell for it.

Chris Field
21st December 2005, 16:00
Chris, Captain Harrison on the tanker KENT in 1963 was a sea-bird fanatic and wrote several books. We (his navigating officers) were instructed to call him should we ever spot an unusual one.
Stormy Petrels were very common, so we pulled his leg one day and called him to the bridge to view a Stormy Av-Gas. !!!! And, yes, he fell for it.

Thanks for that, Cheddarnibbles. I remember PPO Harrison's interest in the sea-birds, and years ago I noticed one of his titles for sale in a bookshop in NZ.

ruud
21st December 2005, 16:11
Ahoy,

Here a very tiny photo of the Cambridge:

http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/History/Photos/Cambridge.htm

Here with some more volume:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2781/cambridge8ot.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cambridge8ot.jpg)

KIWI
21st December 2005, 20:59
Photo of Cambridge as Palana in my photo gallery.When I visited ship in Wellington noted after smokeroom which P&O had turned into a proper bar in line with other P&O ships had all the facilities ripped out.Shipping Co. later I believe put bar facilities on their ships. KIWI

shiponline
8th October 2007, 07:08
Hi All,
I have very recently joined and am seeking any more info on the above vessel. I have a friend who came to Aust on the Cambridge in early 1960 through Adelaide to Sydney on its last voyage. He was travelling I suppose as a supernumery but was not from the company. Further news as to scrapping etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in anticipation

shiponline

alex page
9th October 2007, 04:01
The Cambridge last voyage was light ship Cardiff to Casablanca loaded a cargo of phosphate for Japan via Singapore (water & bunkers). Discharged Niigata Mororan Hakodate and Kurshiro .Handed over for scrap in Osaka 22 Nov 1962 . Master Paul Ogden C/E Fred Lambert.
Alex

shiponline
10th October 2007, 09:34
Thanks Alex,
OK the voyage I mentioned was it's last voyage to Australia !

cheers

alex page
11th October 2007, 22:48
you could well be right that it was last voyage to Australia . I think last few voyages were only to NZ
A