this evening many thanks Andy.
I was with Esso sailing as Electrician in the 1950s mostly on
T2 Tankers they were great ships I realy enjoyed them. It
would be great to hear from anyone sailing with Esso in the
1950s all the best,
cheers Norman.(==D)

janbonde
9th January 2009, 18:54
Went over to Europe for a while in 48/early 50s and served on the White River and Lucky Star for Esso under the Panamanian flag

R396040
9th January 2009, 20:07
Hi Everyone,
It was great to see the Forum: Esso Tankers spring to sight
this evening many thanks Andy.
I was with Esso sailing as Electrician in the 1950s mostly on
T2 Tankers they were great ships I realy enjoyed them. It
would be great to hear from anyone sailing with Esso in the
1950s all the best,
cheers Norman.(==D)

Hi Norman,
I see from my discharge book I was on the ESSO SYRACUSE from August 1950 to end of May 1951 as crew messman. She was a Panamanian flag ship but Doock St Pool sent me to her. See the Captains name was Jones and yes he was Welsh !!! The trip took us to West Indies,Argentina ,Persian Gulf and Sasebo,Japan,Persian Gulf and paid off in Le Havre. She was a T3 type, even then I recall there was four of us to a cabin but at least A/C worked, food was better than British tankers who I had done a couple of trips with. Cant remember any engineers or other down below crowd.
Happy New Year
Stuart Henderson

John Rogers
9th January 2009, 20:22
I sailed on the Esso Saranac November of 1952,joined her in Newcastle and paid off in Avonmouth the end of December 1952,good crew and feeder. The captains name was Robert Drummond.

John.

price
9th January 2009, 20:46
Hi John, I sailed with Captain Drummond on the Esso Windsor on her maiden voyage in 1958, Ivan Cole was Ch/Off.
Bruce

John Rogers
9th January 2009, 22:05
I guess the good captain was given another ship after selling /scrapping the Esso Saranac,the old girl had been around awhile.

John.

sidsal
9th January 2009, 22:17
F. J. WOLFE - 4 trips !947/8
OWYHEE (T2) -1 trip with drunken master /mate and C/E ( real drunks !) 49
Esso London (T2) - 3 trips 1949/50
Esso Cardiff (T2) - 2 trips 1950
Esso Stockhom - 1 long trip 1950
3rd Mate on 1st and then 2nd Mate on the others
Good crews except for Owyhee where seniors were permanently p*****d.
I walked off the ship in Le Havre. Mate was demoted master having run his ship ashore on Green Island just at the southern entrance to the Suez canal.
On on the 12 to 4 one night there ws pandemonium as C/E chased the master around the bridge and accommodation until he locked himself in his cabin. C/E used bridge voicepipe to threaten him with a going over. Apparently they had been boozing together and c/e dropped his fag. When he leant down to pick it up the master smashed a beer bottle over his head - hence the anger !!

NORMAN WILLIAMS
10th January 2009, 15:55
Hi Stuart,
Nice to hear from you I was on the Esso Syracuse in 1957 &58
sailing on the American Coast I enjoyed it they were great ships
and good feeders Esso.
Cheers for now,Norman.

Monket
10th January 2009, 16:22
EDH on the Esso Guilford, Sept 1959 to March 1960 and the
maiden voyage of the Esso Norway in 1961.

NORMAN WILLIAMS
10th January 2009, 16:29
Hi Sidsal,
I was on the Esso London in 1953 jan till june. Capt. Francis was
master at the time a fine gentleman.He played the violin ,I played
saxophone and the C/E played the banjo. It was a great ship a
good crew andthe food was good.The Chief Steward was a great
character Joe Payne from Liverpool did you ever come across him?
will close now.
cheers Norman.

baileysan
10th January 2009, 22:24
John
Esso Saranac was adopted by my school class way back in North Shields. We went on board while she was in Smiths Dock and I figure it would have been around 1952. I left school in 53 served an apprenticship then went to sea in 1957. I often thought about her since. Small world.

sidsal
10th January 2009, 22:32
Norman
Sorry - didn't know any of the chaps you mention. Sounds great to have a few musicians on board. The first tanker I was on - the F J WOLFE had a master - Ernie Tyrrell - from Arklow and a great chap. I used to take a wind-up gramaohone to sea with me and records held in between 2 pieces of plywood with nuts and bolts on 4 corners to stop them bending in the tropics. I was 3rd mate and he would say to me - "Let's have a tune, 3rd Mate - go and get your gramaphone"
I would get it and put it on the bridge table and wind it up. I would ask him what he wanted and he would usually say - " Lets have that fellow Benjamino Gigli -Your tiny hand is frozen "
I would put the record on and wind it up and put the stylus on it"
As the ship rolled the record would speed up and then slow down.
Looking back it was so different to today's sophistication !!
Happy days

John Rogers
11th January 2009, 03:42
John
Esso Saranac was adopted by my school class way back in North Shields. We went on board while she was in Smiths Dock and I figure it would have been around 1952. I left school in 53 served an apprenticship then went to sea in 1957. I often thought about her since. Small world.

I think there is a picture of the old gal in the gallery.

John

dennis s.
26th June 2009, 20:02
my name is dennis, im trying to get info about my father. he also has the same name , when i was 9 or 10 i remember going down allens ave. in prov, r.i. something tells me on the bowe of the ship it had a insignia of an A with wings, my father used to call it the flying A. HE ALSO stated he worked for esso- standed oil- mobil-. also, his ships mostley whent down to TEXAS-MARYLAND-. he has past away the past few years, we lost his papers in a fire. Im trying to find out what ships he worked on . I belive he stated he worked on C-2 or T-2 . I tried the coast guard lots of records lost , Is there anyway some one can help me with this .it would be very appreciated . He worked during the 50s-- 60s--& 70s.

THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME DENNIS S.