Largest Tanker in the world

dicamus
4th August 2005, 20:27
Hi,

I'm sitting at home with my son who says he saw on tv the largest tanker in the world. A beer is on this so you lot out there are hopefully going to prove me right.

I don't know which is the current largest vessel (I'd love to know) but I believe whatever it is it does not beat in weight the 60's/ 70's build vessels that were all the rage in those days. (I.E. The Niarchos/Onassis/Berge consortiums that raced to launch the largest tanker over 500.000 tons.)

Ok over to you my friends. Shoot me down in flames if you must, it will cost me dear if you do.

Dick

janbonde
4th August 2005, 20:57
In 1979 a tanker which had been completed and immediately laid-up without sea service, was dragged out of mothball state and sent to foreign places to be extended [stretched]. It was already a massive ship at 1237 foot long and well over 400,000 dwt, but the new owner wanted the ship cut in half to add in a new section which was 265.5 feet long, thus, on completion, making the ship 1504 feet long. On purchase the unwanted ship was called OPPAMA, and the new owner renamed it the SEAWISE GIANT. When rebuilt she had a dwt of 647,955 tonnes and a ballast light weight of 83,192 tonnes, the largest ship ever built, and she started her life proper in 1980.
1990 the burnt out wreck was bought and sent to Singapore to be re-built. She was renamed the HAPPY GIANT, but before she was delivered to her saviour, she was re-sold and again renamed, this time to JAHRE VIKING.

For the next decade, the JAHRE VIKING was a happy little{!} ship delivering oil all over the world but mainly to Europe and the USA. Her cargo of over 4 million barrel of crude oil, each at $50.00 could be valued at 210 million dollars, but once again, her running costs held down the profit to approximately $34,500 per day – not a good return for such a cargo. By 2002 it was considerably lower.

dicamus
4th August 2005, 21:19
Many thanks. It all comes flooding back. Yes the Seawise Giant & Jahre Viking how could I have forgotten those names. The beer is still not coming my way though at the moment. My son cannot believe we had bigger ships in those days.
So which is the current vessel that is classed as the largest tanker in the world today. Answers on a postcard please to .............! Heh Heh

Steve Gray
4th August 2005, 21:27
The TI Africa, ex Hellespont Metropolis (built 2004), is quite big, one of four built 2001-2004, 442.470 DWT,
its sistership the Hellespont Fairfax was featured in a TV documentary not long ago.

Steve.

janbonde
4th August 2005, 21:30
French Shell had two Battillus and Bellamya,then there was the Globtik boats

Bruce Carson
4th August 2005, 21:40
I took a quick look online with Google and, according to Wikipedia, janbonde hit the nail on the head.
Dick, I think you're owed a Newcastle Brown.

http://tinyurl.com/cmx3t

Bruce C.

graham
4th August 2005, 21:45
go to auke vissers international super tankers jahre viking is on there with a lot more super tankers
graham

dicamus
4th August 2005, 22:30
Newkie Brown on the table. But it won't be there long. Heh Heh
Thanks to everyone. Cheeeers Hic.

dicamus
4th August 2005, 22:52
go to auke vissers international super tankers jahre viking is on there with a lot more super tankers
graham

Graham have you got the url. I keep hitting a wall putting in 'auke vissers'.

Dick

moaf
5th August 2005, 00:31
http://supertankers.topcities.com/

dicamus, here is the website you requested. For information, the Pierre Guillaumat was the largest vessel ever constructed at 555,051dwt. The Jahre Viking was 'jumboized' so didn't count!!

janbonde
5th August 2005, 15:13
The Pierre G she was under the French flag as well is that right, and one of Shells fleet

fred henderson
5th August 2005, 16:31
The ULCCs came into service just as the demand for sea transportation of oil collapsed. OPEC price rises reduced consumption and made it possible to use high cost oil fields that did not need long ocean delivery hauls. The North Sea for example.

Long haul is back today, largely because of Chinese oil requirements, but the ULCCs were single hull tankers, which are now generally banned. I believe that the newly built ships are smaller because of the need to access a wider range of delivery ports.

Fred

graham
5th August 2005, 17:46
try AUKE VISSERS ESSO TANKVAART MIJ .SITE

GRAHAM

moaf
5th August 2005, 19:02
One of the reasons for the demise of ULCC's was the fact that, if one were to ground, it would make a hell of a mess. They generally paid for themselves in a couple of round trips to the Gulf. It is much easier and safer to move oil around in 'shuttle' tankers

janbonde
5th August 2005, 21:13
What like the Prestige or Braer

backsplice
7th August 2005, 11:06
During my tanker time the largest afloat was the "universe appollo ".........I saw her up the gulf several times but can,t remember her details ......(not a beer winner ???)...backsplice

Mac
7th August 2005, 12:15
"Universe Appolo" 114,300 deadweight tons, built 1959 in Kure for Ludwig"s Universe Tankships, 2 steam turbines 25,000 hp at 100 rpm.LOA 949' 9", draft 48' 3".

moaf
7th August 2005, 14:20
Although the Prestige and Braer made a mess, it was nothing compared to a ULCC sinking. I was on the Chevron South America, 464000 dwt. If she were to sink, can you imagine the slick? It would cover and entire side of the USA easily. The sinking of the Prestige should never had happened, the authorities have only themselves to blame for her foundering.

backsplice
8th August 2005, 10:48
"Universe Apollo " ..........small fry !!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry lads it was big at the time ...backsplice

calvin
17th February 2006, 21:04
hi i can rember there was the globtik tokyo seawise giant the two french shell tankers bellamya and batillius also the pieruie guillimout but think the jahre viking was the largest one to stay in service and used a couple of different names

Thamesphil
17th February 2006, 21:46
The Jahre Viking is now named Knock Nevis and no longer serves as a tanker. She operates as an FSO at the Al Shaheen oilfield in the waters of Qatar. The largest tanker properly in service is the TI Europe, 441,893 dwt. She's one of four sisters built 2002/2003 at DSME. None of the earlier generation of ULCCs are now in service.

Phil

moaf
18th February 2006, 10:15
The name Seawise Giant was a play on the owners name, C Y Tung.

non descript
19th February 2006, 11:45
Dicamus

You will find a Jahre Viking photo in the gallery and a link to some rather sad photo's of the aftermath of the attack and her reconstruction at Singapore can be found here:

http://supertankers.topcities.com/id112.htm

and this site gives the update:

http://supertankers.topcities.com/id132.htm

Tonga

dnobmal
24th February 2006, 15:33
visiting Auke Vissers site I did not realize that when I was on the Esso Scotia in 69 she was the largest in the world, the person in his Esso Uk people section Ian David Smith was the master at the time

Ships Agent
5th June 2006, 23:39
In 1979 a tanker which had been completed and immediately laid-up without sea service, was dragged out of mothball state and sent to foreign places to be extended [stretched]. It was already a massive ship at 1237 foot long and well over 400,000 dwt, but the new owner wanted the ship cut in half to add in a new section which was 265.5 feet long, thus, on completion, making the ship 1504 feet long. On purchase the unwanted ship was called OPPAMA, and the new owner renamed it the SEAWISE GIANT. When rebuilt she had a dwt of 647,955 tonnes and a ballast light weight of 83,192 tonnes, the largest ship ever built, and she started her life proper in 1980.
1990 the burnt out wreck was bought and sent to Singapore to be re-built. She was renamed the HAPPY GIANT, but before she was delivered to her saviour, she was re-sold and again renamed, this time to JAHRE VIKING.

For the next decade, the JAHRE VIKING was a happy little{!} ship delivering oil all over the world but mainly to Europe and the USA. Her cargo of over 4 million barrel of crude oil, each at $50.00 could be valued at 210 million dollars, but once again, her running costs held down the profit to approximately $34,500 per day – not a good return for such a cargo. By 2002 it was considerably lower.
There is more information including phots at the following web site www.ayrshirescotland.com/ships/jahre.html

david
6th June 2006, 07:55
Hi shipmates,
seeing this discussion brought back memories of a quiz show on TV some years ago when a contestant was asked to name the "world's largest ship" and the entrant started arguing about the meaning of "Largest".
I agree with you guys that the largest ship ever "built/constructed/(launched?)" would have to have been the Pierre G.
As far as the "worlds largest ship"(ever to 'sail the seven seas') was the Jahre V, now
Knock N.
I think that for all intents and purposes the answer has to be the Jahre Viking by a fair margin.
Looks like you are due for a case of Newcastle Brown, Dick. Personaly I would prefer a case of 4X.
Regards,
David D.

hammer
21st September 2006, 15:24
I took a quick look online with Google and, according to Wikipedia, janbonde hit the nail on the head.
Dick, I think you're owed a Newcastle Brown.

http://tinyurl.com/cmx3t

Bruce C.

I could handle a Broon Ale,worked on the VLCC,s built on the Tyne.I think the last one was broken up last year or early this year,laid up for a while as a storage vessel and then broken up (Taiwan?).Launched as Tyne Pride but never sailed under that name,stayed on the river a while before someone bought it,I think it was 268,000 tonnes.Sadly Swans closed again earlier this year ,probably for the last time (tear in eye).

Hugh Ferguson
21st September 2006, 20:10
The tonnage of tankers is almost invariably "dead weight" and has nothing to do with the actual "weight" of the ship. If a tanker is say, 200,000 dwt. that is the weight of cargo she can lift. Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

hammer
15th November 2006, 14:08
The tonnage of tankers is almost invariably "dead weight" and has nothing to do with the actual "weight" of the ship. If a tanker is say, 200,000 dwt. that is the weight of cargo she can lift. Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

Yes I was aware of that.but if I had said we welded up 35,000 tons (approx) of steel to build a tanker it wouldn't have given much of an idea of the size of it.Great fun building them ,open ship in a Tyne winter and closed in a Tyne summer to catch the high tide to launch them.Kill me now if I did it, but, sadly for the lads back home,the chances of building another one are zero.A korean guy at work tells me Hyundai build 7 on berths and it only takes up 40-50% of yard capacity,he says he has worked with 3 or 4 Swans trained welders and thinks they are 'velly velly good wenders' in his words.

hammer
15th November 2006, 14:26
One of the reasons for the demise of ULCC's was the fact that, if one were to ground, it would make a hell of a mess. They generally paid for themselves in a couple of round trips to the Gulf. It is much easier and safer to move oil around in 'shuttle' tankers

I was reading a book on the demise of them,designed for cheap oil to run the engines,when the price of oil went up they were uneconomical to run.Swans/MFC collapsed and we had Tyne Pride (or EF Wells ) stuck on the Tyne for ages.I heard Harlland and Wolff had 2 x 330,000 tankers stuck there with the owners coming up with any excuse not to take them,paint not thick enough etc,defects in the deck under the paint.The japanese laid them up full of oil,when the price of oil went up they sold the oil,at a large profit.When the bloodbath of tankers being broken up ended and the price of scrap steel went back up they broke them up,seems they made a good deal of money out of it.How much of the book was urban myth and how much of it was true I have no idea.

backsplice
18th November 2006, 05:44
the other night there was ashow on pay tv about 3 large ships going into rotterdam 1 was a box boat the other was a submersable crrying a rig the othe was hailed to be the biggest in the world but it was a bulker called the "stena ........something and she was big ...but as you would expect only a handful of crew..............say no more.backsplice

rd002c1155
21st November 2006, 10:22
It Came Up In Quiz Question A While Ago .What Is The Largest Moveble Object In The World The Answer Is What You Lads Have Being Talking About (JAHRE VIKING)

dwardley
5th April 2007, 10:49
When the Jahre Viking finally left her seagoing service to act as floating storage a couple of years ago she was operating at a dwt of 564,000 but was still comfortably the largest tanker afloat. Owned by the Loki consortium in norway she was almost exclusively employed by Exxon and Chevron between the Middle East Gulf and the U.S. Her Single hull status finally counted against her and she was pensioned off. She appeared briefly in one of Jeremy Clarksons programmed dedicated to Mammoth Machines.
The TI Europe is rightly pointed out as the largest now operating - part of the Tankers International pool, she was originally built with her 3 sisters by the Hellespont Corporation.

jim brindley
30th April 2007, 10:48
what a coincidenc just put from years ago a esso tanker that was big in those times .one click and i get super tankers.but after my time .old sinner jim

vasco
7th January 2009, 04:05
The name Seawise Giant was a play on the owners name, C Y Tung.

Yes, Mr Tung liked his word play.

I was on the CYS Mariner, which can be pronounced seawise. I was told at the time it was made up of cy (tung) and ys (lines). the latter being a Japanese line which had funding from the Japanese Government for shipbuilding.

Not forgetting the Seawise University (ex QE) which mysteriously caught fire in Hong Kong.

fishcake
9th January 2009, 00:06
The Pierre G she was under the French flag as well is that right, and one of Shells fleet

Used to lighter her off the coast of Maderia, as she couldn't get across the bar at Le Harve fully loaded. She was an Elf tanker then.

Bill Davies
11th January 2009, 10:35
Interesting comments. From a practical aspect the larger variety +400k (as built) were easier to handle, thanks to modern design and technology, than the worlds first ULCCs. The Bantry class were very difficult vessels to control at approach speed but, in defence of their construction/power, there was really nothing before them.

ULCC_Man
12th January 2009, 14:38
Having worked on most of the big ULCC's myself, Stena King,Stena Queen, Empress Des Mers, Sea World and the Sea Giant ( the Last of the 4 Pierre G class boats to go to scrap).
They all felt like big ships; but the one that seemed the biggest was the Sea World, with a beam of almost 80M the engineroom was huge and being a twin skeg design, was the most unusual. We had a 3/4 size basketball court between the funnels. It was also the largest vessel ever to sail through the Suez canal, and the biggest to go to Europort fully loaded.

B.Nicholson
25th April 2009, 04:34
Largest Tanker was the Esso Tokyo 500,000 TONS now a floating storage tanker in/off Yemen called the Safa

non descript
25th April 2009, 09:23
Largest Tanker was the Esso Tokyo 500,000 TONS now a floating storage tanker in/off Yemen called the Safa

Umm…. a possible confusion here, as the records indicate:

ESSO TOKYO
DWT: 406258
Yard No: 4441
Builder: Hitachi
Owner as Completed: Esso Tankers Inc. - LI
Subsequent History:
1985 RED SEAGULL
2000 OLYMPIA SPIRIT
Scrapped at China ~31.05.2003.

and which ever way one approaches the issue, the concept of largest ship, still tends to lead to the then Seawise Giant (now Knock Nevis) (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=18144)

sidsal
25th April 2009, 20:41
Times change. In 1947 I was 2nd Mate in Esso and was summoned from leave to London office and told to get a Panamanian ticket ( £10 from the Consulate) and be prepared to fly to NY to join the biggest tanker in the world being completed , if I remember rightly in Newport News. 22 hour flight to NY including calls at the Azores and then getting lost and landing at Sydney, Cape Breton instead of Gander. Put up in hotel in NY most of the lads got jobs - including the sparks and I who got night jobs washing cars.
After 3 weeks we were sent home on the Qeen Mary as the US unions would not allow a Limey crew to get this pestigious ship. It went up to the State Dept.
Great holiday.
What was the size of this monster ?
35,000 tons !!
Eventually joined a sister ship - Esso Stockholm.

scottishgraham1971
27th May 2010, 13:58
Sailed on the 'Sea World' ex-King Alexander as 3rd Eng in 1998. She was 499,000 dwt and the widest ship ever built - 75 m I think, correct me if i'm wrong

davidrwarwick
28th May 2010, 09:43
Even wider 79m according to Auke Visser but only 24m draft

http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id29.htm

Dave

Carl
1st June 2010, 20:33
I believe the Knoxx Nevis is the largest still in use, before being sold on.....I think??

davidrwarwick
2nd June 2010, 10:04
Knock Nevis arrive in Alang for scrapping earlier this year:-

http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id132.htm

it started off at 418610dwt and ended up at 564761dwt

Dave

stewart devlin
5th July 2014, 09:14
It Came Up In Quiz Question A While Ago .What Is The Largest Moveble Object In The World The Answer Is What You Lads Have Being Talking About (JAHRE VIKING)

About 1978 I flew over the Ninian Central offshore platform as it was being towed out to location. At the time it was the largest moveable object ever built at 600,000 tonnes, not sure if that has ever been beaten.

callpor
5th July 2014, 13:36
About 1978 I flew over the Ninian Central offshore platform as it was being towed out to location. At the time it was the largest moveable object ever built at 600,000 tonnes, not sure if that has ever been beaten.

Stewart,

Not sure if this counts, but during the tanker depression of the early 1980's many large tankers were laid-up, particularly in Brunei Bay and Alesund. It was said at the time that the largest manmade floating object had been created at Alesund where 5 ULCC's each over 500,000 DWT were moored together as a block. If I recall correctly this floating island comprised The Esso Atlantic; Esso Pacific; plus two Shell ULCC's and one from ELF/Total.

stevekelly10
5th July 2014, 15:42
On Auk Visser's website there is a picture of the Stena Queen and Stena King, taken by myself doing an S.T.S transfer after the "Kings" unfortunate collision with the British Vigilence off Fujirah (EEK)
I believe this was the largest S.T.S ever carried out at the time and I also believe the King\Vigilence collision is in the guiness book of records for the two largest ships ever to collide !
At the time of the collision the Master of the "King" was an ex Bp captain doing his last trip, not the ideal way to finish your seagoing career !
http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id26.htm

O.M.Bugge
9th July 2014, 16:34
Stewart,

Not sure if this counts, but during the tanker depression of the early 1980's many large tankers were laid-up, particularly in Brunei Bay and Alesund. It was said at the time that the largest manmade floating object had been created at Alesund where 5 ULCC's each over 500,000 DWT were moored together as a block. If I recall correctly this floating island comprised The Esso Atlantic; Esso Pacific; plus two Shell ULCC's and one from ELF/Total.

Here is a picture of them:
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss102/OMBugge/Tankers/29198640.jpg

DanSevern
16th October 2014, 18:44
Having worked on most of the big ULCC's myself, Stena King,Stena Queen, Empress Des Mers, Sea World and the Sea Giant ( the Last of the 4 Pierre G class boats to go to scrap).
They all felt like big ships; but the one that seemed the biggest was the Sea World, with a beam of almost 80M the engineroom was huge and being a twin skeg design, was the most unusual. We had a 3/4 size basketball court between the funnels. It was also the largest vessel ever to sail through the Suez canal, and the biggest to go to Europort fully loaded.
I also sailed on the EDM, and remember both the Sea World and Sea Giant... I believe the Sea Giant (Pierre G) was the biggest ship ever built. However I am also lead to believe that the Sea World was intended or planned to be the first ever million ton tanker, but during building the oil market collapsed and they basically shortened her down to the size she ended up.. hence the extreme breadth.