La Estancia

mcgurggle
5th August 2005, 09:39
I'm looking for a picture of the Buries Markes bulker 'La Estancia', built in Belfast, I think, around 1965/66.
Any info on her history would also be appreciated.
Thanks
McG (Pint)

Tmac1720
7th August 2005, 18:06
You can get a copy of the official H&W construction photographs of this vessel from the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. Contact Ken Anderson the Head of the Photographic section with your request. FGrom memory he holds photographs from keel lay to launch and fitting out including sea trials.
For the record and to ease indentification she was yard number 1660 launched 30 June 1965 and delivered 30 September 1965 followed by her sister La Sierra yard number 1661 launched 24 November 1965 and delivered 12 February 1966. I remember walking under these ships as a spotty faced youth while they were on the slipways in the Queens Shipyard of H&W. Shipbuilding was still very new to me and I was terrified of being crushed should they fall off the blocks. Told you I was green in those days (Cloud)
Anyway good luck with the search, Ken is very helpful if a little slow.

mcgurggle
8th August 2005, 09:37
Info greatly appreciated. I know what you mean about the ship falling off the blocks. The few times I ventured down a dry dock, I was more worried if they had locked the s**t houses on board !!!
I acually joined her in Belfast at the dry dock in '66, just after the seamens strike, & sailed for Vittoria, Brazil. It was a Belfast/Cockney crew with a sprinkling of mad Jocks threw in...Wow, What a mix !!
Thanks again
McG (Pint)

James Lorimer
3rd November 2005, 18:58
My husband, James Lorimer sailed on the La Estancia when he was employed by Buries Markess Ltd. All BM ex employees were invited to join the BM Society and meet regularly. I will ask Jim if he has a picture of the ship for you.

awateah2
3rd November 2005, 21:30
Can you please give more details of B.M. Society, sailed in La Estancia,La Colina & La Pampa.
Thanks

James Lorimer
4th November 2005, 18:13
Jim and I were on the La Pampa during 1979. He may know you. If you are an ex em ployee of Buries Markes Ltd. then you will remember being an Individualist! Mike Coker started it up several years ago now. You may contact and join via Michael Bowen. I cannot accept email right now, but if you email me at
********* email deleted *
then I can send details.
Chris Lorimer
*Ahoy,
Once again, I have edited out an email address posted on an Open Forum. This is not a good idea as, although with the best of intentions, it may result in some unwelcome mail arriving in your Inbox, and that's what you're not waiting for, isn't it?
If any Members wish to reply to Chris, you can do so via a PM[Private Message]

sam2182sw
4th November 2005, 19:51
HI neany years ago i worked on a ship called the HUNTINGTON in dry dock in HULL and thay changed her name to the LA BEHIA she belonged to BURIS MARKES after carrying out repaires she load a full cargo of army gear for the CHIRSTMAS ISLAND that was the time of the atom bomb test. SAN2182SW

awateah2
4th November 2005, 20:49
Thanks for the info, I remember Mike Coker very well and Mr Lilley who was the man responsible for other members of the crew. will be in touch, Thanks again,

James Lorimer
5th November 2005, 17:56
HI neany years ago i worked on a ship called the HUNTINGTON in dry dock in HULL and thay changed her name to the LA BEHIA she belonged to BURIS MARKES after carrying out repaires she load a full cargo of army gear for the CHIRSTMAS ISLAND that was the time of the atom bomb test. SAN2182SW

I thgink you mean the La Bahia?? My husband Jim worked on this ship whilst employed with BM

the yard
9th November 2005, 10:48
La Estancia

The Yard

sam2182sw
9th November 2005, 20:37
hi that is the right way to spell it i got the spelling wrong thanks got any photo of her sam 2182sw

ruud
3rd January 2007, 00:01
Ahoy, Just was looking for her in one of the old boxes,she looks pretty good to me.
LA ESTANCIA 1961
My collection no ©/courtesy

mcgurggle
3rd January 2007, 15:41
This was her on sea trials with twin funnels.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/mcgurggle/LaEstancia1.jpg
McG

john shaw
3rd January 2007, 17:02
try the following link for all the ships of that name:

http://pic4.piczo.com/lahaciendaandotherstories/?g=18375059&cr=4

Agrippa
5th February 2007, 23:09
Remember the night in Aviles in northern Spain,you ate a whole Pyalla to yourself. We were there on the Pampa loading steel wire for New Orleans,and a few of us went ashore for something to eat. There was you, Ken Morgan and his wife Sandra, Dave Snowdon and a few more, cant remember them all.

ruud
6th February 2007, 06:38
I thgink you mean the La Bahia?? My husband Jim worked on this ship whilst employed with BM
Ahoy,
Here LA BAHIA seen in the New Waterway[Nieuwe Waterweg]Rotterdam in the 70's.

noodles
10th June 2009, 10:23
Ahoy,
Here LA BAHIA seen in the New Waterway[Nieuwe Waterweg]Rotterdam in the 70's.

worked on la ensenada joined belfast june 1981......akanoodles

BillH
10th June 2009, 12:23
LA BAHIA (1) (1957 - 1961)

O.N. 165783. 5,172g. 2,992n. 442'11" x 56'6" x 25'11"
3-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 2,320mm) oil engine manufactured by the shipbuilder.

26.2.1940: Launched as SUTHERLAND by Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 658), for B. J. Sutherland & Company Ltd., Newcastle.
5.1940: Completed.
13.1.1954: Sold to Carlton Steamship Company Ltd. & Cambay Steamship Company Ltd., (Chapman & Willan Ltd., managers), Newcastle, and renamed GRAINTON.
29.3.1957: Purchased for 480,000 by Buries Markes Ltd., London.
31.5.1957: Handed over and renamed LA BAHIA.
1961: Sold to Valerosa Compania Naviera S. A., (Lemos & Pateras Ltd., managers), Lebanon, and renamed SAN JOHN.
4.10.1961: Whilst on a voyage from the R. Tyne to Churchill, stranded 20 miles N. W. of Churchill, and subsequently declared a constructive total loss.
Repaired and management transferred to M. J. Lemos & Company Ltd.
1965: Sold to Atlas Shipping and Repairing Company Ltd., (same managers), Cyprus, and renamed LEDRA.
11.11.1967: Whilst on a voyage from Madras to Poland with a cargo of iron ore, wrecked on Alphee Shoal, in a position 07.25 N. 81.51 E.

bobs
11th June 2009, 00:30
Have just posted a colour pic of the 1965/H+W- LA ESTANCIA . . . the right one!!

mcgurggle
11th June 2009, 07:12
This is her during sea trials 1965.
McG

mcgurggle
11th June 2009, 07:13
Heres another colour pic.
McG

noodles
30th August 2009, 10:06
I'm looking for a picture of the Buries Markes bulker 'La Estancia', built in Belfast, I think, around 1965/66.
Any info on her history would also be appreciated.
Thanks
McG (Pint)

lahaciendaandotherstories| google this and you should get what you r looking for ...noodles

Thenavigator4
5th September 2009, 01:01
I sailed on several Buries ships as apprentice and 4h & 3rd Mate fron 63 to 70.
Would be interested in the BM society if Chris Lorrimer would be kind enough to send me the address via PM
Sailed on the Estancia my last trip as 3rd mate, also sailed on the sister ship La Sierra for over a year!
For photos of all the Buries Ships try www.lda.fr which is the Louis dreyfus Armateurs site
Ernest

the brit
6th February 2010, 15:57
any info on buries markes mv larkfield would be appreciated bulk carrier did one trip on her ivory coast '83.

BillH
6th February 2010, 19:40
any info on buries markes mv larkfield would be appreciated bulk carrier did one trip on her ivory coast '83.
LARKFIELD Bulk carrier.
25,223g. 13,528n. 182.02(BB) x 29.04 x 11.602 metres.
7-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W type oil engine made by Hitachi Zosen, Osa. 13,100 B.H.P.
5.4.1974: Launched as ALAIN L D by Sanoyasu Dockyard Company Ltd., Osaka (Yard No. 335), for Societe Anonyme Louis-Dreyfus et Cie., France.
28.6.1974: Completed.
1983: Transferred to Larkfield Shipping Ltd., (Buries Markes (Ship Management) Ltd., then Patt Manfield & Company Ltd., managers), Hong Kong, and renamed LARKFIELD.
1989: Sold to AIP Larkfield Ltd., Partnership, (Kristian Gerhard Jebsen Skipsrederi A/S, managers), Bahamas.
1992: Westfleet Management A/S, appointed as managers.
6.11.1998: Arrived Alang for demolition.

Joseph Lautier
13th December 2013, 06:34
You can get a copy of the official H&W construction photographs of this vessel from the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. Contact Ken Anderson the Head of the Photographic section with your request. FGrom memory he holds photographs from keel lay to launch and fitting out including sea trials.
For the record and to ease indentification she was yard number 1660 launched 30 June 1965 and delivered 30 September 1965 followed by her sister La Sierra yard number 1661 launched 24 November 1965 and delivered 12 February 1966. I remember walking under these ships as a spotty faced youth while they were on the slipways in the Queens Shipyard of H&W. Shipbuilding was still very new to me and I was terrified of being crushed should they fall off the blocks. Told you I was green in those days (Cloud)
Anyway good luck with the search, Ken is very helpful if a little slow.

THANK YOU FOR YOU USEFUL INFORMATION WILL TRY TO GET HOLD OF KEN.

Thanks

Joe Lautier
MALTA

L888doc
2nd May 2014, 23:53
Phi mcgurggle Is sled on her immediately after 66seamans strike from Belfast dry dock. She.was back for 1 year guarantee We went Vitoria Brazil then emden Germany. My self and two pals missed ship and got Vnc.

Regards

L888doc

L888doc
29th May 2014, 17:16
Hi mcruggle. Re. La estancia I was one of the mad scots on board her in Belfast 1966. My name is Jim Docherty ab my late mates were Ian smith ab from Ayrshire my other lifelong pal was willie slattery 2nd cook. Ian died brain tumor late 80s .willie died Boxing Day 2003 prostrate cancer. The three of us missed her at discharge port Emden. The three of us had gone to visit my sister whose husband was stationed about 2hours away. The ship had telegraphed me as arranged but all communication goes to the serviceman and he was on exersise. Therefore we never got gram. The ship was still visible when we got to quay. I can remember Clive cook,Robert stint bas,,,,d mate proxy 2nd eng(didn't know how to work air con in crew accomm. Wasn't happy when I opened passage way doors. He wasn't happy when we shouted Germany on in that never been allowed to forget World Cup final. Vitoria was eventful and busy

Kind regards

Jim docherty

Jim Wadden
15th August 2014, 14:02
My husband, James Lorimer sailed on the La Estancia when he was employed by Buries Markess Ltd. All BM ex employees were invited to join the BM Society and meet regularly. I will ask Jim if he has a picture of the ship for you.

I sailed as REO with BM between 1977-81. Maybe I know you ? I sailed on the following: La Pampa, La Loma, N/Lady, Dashwood, La Costa, La Chacra, Tsuru Arrow
Unfortunately I was never on La Estancia. Jim Wadden