any ship mates out there

gordier51
16th January 2009, 13:13
any old ship mates that sailed with gordon roebuck ast/std on benlawers 1970-72,benhaint 73 please get in touch for a blether.

R58484956
16th January 2009, 13:24
Greetings gordier51 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

EBenarty
16th January 2009, 21:33
Hi Gordon,
I was 2nd Mate with you on the Lawers
in 1971 -72. Good Steward you was alongwith Toni ,John and the famous Chief Steward from Halkirk . The Captain was Donald Cowie.
Billy Sinclair

gordier51
17th January 2009, 16:16
Hi Gordon,
I was 2nd Mate with you on the Lawers
in 1971 -72. Good Steward you was alongwith Toni ,John and the famous Chief Steward from Halkirk . The Captain was Donald Cowie.
Billy Sinclair

hi billy cant seem to remember you although i used to clean all the mates cabins i remember ist mate main and 3rd mate was ian henderson cadets were robin budge and john smith.chief off.was george mutch skipper donald cowie then ken wilson.one of 2nd mates varnihed his deck in his cabin was that you?or doyou remember the names of any other 2nd mates that sailed on the lawyers at that time.the electricians were willie mair and herbie ????? do you know john simpson from forfar( my home town) not sure what rank he finished up as (probably skipper) never seen him for years . regards gordon

john fraser
17th January 2009, 16:49
hi billy cant seem to remember you although i used to clean all the mates cabins i remember ist mate main and 3rd mate was ian henderson cadets were robin budge and john smith.chief off.was george mutch skipper donald cowie then ken wilson.one of 2nd mates varnihed his deck in his cabin was that you?or doyou remember the names of any other 2nd mates that sailed on the lawyers at that time.the electricians were willie mair and herbie ????? do you know john simpson from forfar( my home town) not sure what rank he finished up as (probably skipper) never seen him for years . regards gordon

Gordon.
Last saw John Simppson as pilot in Aberdeen .early 90.s

wully farquhar
19th January 2009, 18:31
Billy and John,I spoke to your old chief steward this morning,told him you were all passing your regards,he is out of hibernation now that the Thurso river is opened again.!!!

gordier51
19th January 2009, 19:56
Billy and John,I spoke to your old chief steward this morning,told him you were all passing your regards,he is out of hibernation now that the Thurso river is opened again.!!!

which ch/std do you mean

john fraser
19th January 2009, 21:28

Hi Wully.
You.ll be OK for a fish now he is on the go again. Lol !!
I heard today that Jackie Gault is still the same.

john fraser
19th January 2009, 21:37
which ch/std do you mean

Jimmy Macdonald.Gordon.
Did you get the Private Message I sent you.Spoke with another ex Ben Line Ab today.Think he used to sail on some of the ships with you.Ian Main

gordier51
20th January 2009, 12:20
Jimmy Macdonald.Gordon.
Did you get the Private Message I sent you.Spoke with another ex Ben Line Ab today.Think he used to sail on some of the ships with you.Ian Main

was jimmy macdonald ch/std on the lawers the only ones i remember were w.morrison,w.jamison and dutchie

binliner
20th January 2009, 14:27
dutchie,a name to remember,did a couple of voyages on the "macdhui" in the late 60s as lecky. dutchy the only man to make a jar of meat paste last a month using it every night for sannies.
Also took an keen interest in the development and training of the younger members of staff.

gordier51
20th January 2009, 16:41
dutchie,a name to remember,did a couple of voyages on the "macdhui" in the late 60s as lecky. dutchy the only man to make a jar of meat paste last a month using it every night for sannies.
Also took an keen interest in the development and training of the younger members of staff.

your dead right there i called him sleazy dutchie

Willie Mac
21st January 2009, 00:11
your dead right there i called him sleazy dutchie

Hi Gordon

Theres a photo in My Gallery of Willie Dutch taken on the Benmacdhui in 1970

Willie Mac

gordier51
21st January 2009, 12:34
Hi Gordon

Theres a photo in My Gallery of Willie Dutch taken on the Benmacdhui in 1970

Willie Mac

hi willie seen photo of dutchie just as i remember him always had a fag in his gub,wonder if he still alive?

EBenarty
22nd January 2009, 00:35
Hi Gordie,
I sent you a private message. I did not varnish the deck of my cabin. I think ???????? As I have done it before !! Other 2nd Mates Roddie Roberts from Aberdeen, John Groat from Kirkwall, last I heard he was working with Port Forth Authorites and Jim ?? the 3rd Mate I remember was Iain Mac Iver from Stornoway sailed on her 3 times between 1970 -75.between other Ben Boats. Willie Mair Ch Elec.and Curly headed Herbie ? 2nd Elect.,and the other Ch. Electrician was Mike Hudson. The chief Engineers I remember were Alec Clark, ? Kelday Deck crew Davie Drummond,Charlie Sedgewick, Tommy Dinsdale, Jimmy Torrie,
Willie Main, Willie MacGregor to name a few. Not forgetting Captain Buck Rogers.Others will come to mind !! Were you there when we had the fire in Kobe ?
Billy

EBenarty
22nd January 2009, 00:51
Hi Wully,
Happy New Year. Pass on my regards to Jimmy Mac Donald and I hope he catches a few this year. How are Wings and the rest of the crew getting on and send them my best regards. Peter is away on one o ' yon salmon fry boats for a while. I dont think he likes it too much. I hope everything is fine wae you.
How is Donald Oag I have not heard about him for ages? I suppose he is still out with the creels, but no weather for that, but I widdna mind alobster from him when Icome up in the Summer.
Are you heading down this way again
Billy

wully farquhar
22nd January 2009, 14:38
Hello Billy,Yes i will pass on your messages to Donald and Jimmy,see Donald every saturday mornin,he runs a parlament every sat.mornin in his shed at Thurso harbour,turn over a few stones there!!!.Yes Bill i was at the Priory again for the new year,had a good time,you still cruising the canal in the summer?

john fraser
22nd January 2009, 20:27
Hi Gordie,
I sent you a private message. I did not varnish the deck of my cabin. I think ???????? As I have done it before !! Other 2nd Mates Roddie Roberts from Aberdeen, John Groat from Kirkwall, last I heard he was working with Port Forth Authorites and Jim ?? the 3rd Mate I remember was Iain Mac Iver from Stornoway sailed on her 3 times between 1970 -75.between other Ben Boats. Willie Mair Ch Elec.and Curly headed Herbie ? 2nd Elect.,and the other Ch. Electrician was Mike Hudson. The chief Engineers I remember were Alec Clark, ? Kelday Deck crew Davie Drummond,Charlie Sedgewick, Tommy Dinsdale, Jimmy Torrie,
Willie Main, Willie MacGregor to name a few. Not forgetting Captain Buck Rogers.Others will come to mind !! Were you there when we had the fire in Kobe ?
Billy

Billy.What about the famous R/O,I am sure he was there with you.Harry Brookfield ( Bumper).I was there a couple of years from maiden voyage and remember Gordon Maclean 3/O
think he went to Star Offshore.like others.Dougie Nisbet 1/O. Nick Ross C/E Murray Cowie C/E.Alex Laws C/E Davy Wickens 2/E. Willie Moore 3/E .Ralph Webster Cadet.Corky Bosun. Chippy Flett. Sandy Niven AB.Willie Bell AB .Roddy Murray AB(went to NZ).Motormen.Jungle Jim Craig.Johnny Milne,Tam Waterson.(used to draw matches from Ch/Stwd for electric stove)
Louis Aien.Alex Ritchie( Black Knight) Must be them all now.Memory going its getting late 1930 hours

EBenarty
23rd January 2009, 21:42
Hi John
I can place them all apart from Lous Aien and you said Roddy Murray was it not Willie Murray . I remember Tam the matchstick man well getting matches for the electric stove!! Another we missed out was Sandy Niven a brother of Joe who was in Dads Army !! Another was the 2 nd. Electrician Bill ? to whom a lot of the finger was pointed at for the fire in Kobe but I think it was done from outside. Your opinion as I am sure you were there ?
Are you on leave just now?
Billy
PS. Willie Moore was working in Flotta not long ago, he is the same as ever.

john fraser
23rd January 2009, 22:28
Hi John
I can place them all apart from Lous Aien and you said Roddy Murray was it not Willie Murray . I remember Tam the matchstick man well getting matches for the electric stove!! Another we missed out was Sandy Niven a brother of Joe who was in Dads Army !! Another was the 2 nd. Electrician Bill ? to whom a lot of the finger was pointed at for the fire in Kobe but I think it was done from outside. Your opinion as I am sure you were there ?
Are you on leave just now?
Billy
PS. Willie Moore was working in Flotta not long ago, he is the same as ever.
Hi Billy.
I was there the trip before the fire.Off back on Sunday to the Gulf of Mexico.Last one coming up.Thats 49 years at it.Now just been informed that all non Americans on American owned ships in the GoM have to pay American Tax. Along with the Seafarers Tax carry on .a good time to get out. Louis Aien was the Motorman who used to sing in the crew bar,also recited poetry.wore horn rimmed glasses. Aalso we forgot Billy Corkish.storekeeper.who became a steward then I had him as Ass/cook.
Rgds
John
Wwhat are you at yourself these days ?

gordier51
24th January 2009, 00:05
Hi Billy.
I was there the trip before the fire.Off back on Sunday to the Gulf of Mexico.Last one coming up.Thats 49 years at it.Now just been informed that all non Americans on American owned ships in the GoM have to pay American Tax. Along with the Seafarers Tax carry on .a good time to get out. Louis Aien was the Motorman who used to sing in the crew bar,also recited poetry.wore horn rimmed glasses. Aalso we forgot Billy Corkish.storekeeper.who became a steward then I had him as Ass/cook.
Rgds
John
Wwhat are you at yourself these days ?

john did billy corkish sail on the haint im sure he was my next door neighbour on it

wully farquhar
24th January 2009, 17:00
John,
Did you sail with Joe Niven,i see you mention his brother Sandy,i was with Joe in the Loyal,some character was Joe,met him once after that,he was aboard a coastal tanker the BP Warrior.Joe spent a lot of his spare time making nylon rugs,any pennents from the back springs he would find a decent bit and pick the clean strands out of them and then with a crochet hook(he took the base away with him)he made the rugs,he was a good shipmate(Thumb) (Jester)

john fraser
24th January 2009, 19:19
john did billy corkish sail on the haint im sure he was my next door neighbour on it

Hi Gordon.
Billy Corkish was on a few of the ships with me.in all departments.I take it he had also been on the Hiant.Spoke to John Divers old neighbour today.She lives here .She says to try that number I gave you,as there are not many Divers in Peterhead and John after he got married had a few children.

john fraser
24th January 2009, 19:22
John,
Did you sail with Joe Niven,i see you mention his brother Sandy,i was with Joe in the Loyal,some character was Joe,met him once after that,he was aboard a coastal tanker the BP Warrior.Joe spent a lot of his spare time making nylon rugs,any pennents from the back springs he would find a decent bit and pick the clean strands out of them and then with a crochet hook(he took the base away with him)he made the rugs,he was a good shipmate(Thumb) (Jester)
Hi Wully.
I sailed with Joe quite a few times on the coast.The story goes he went on the coast when the wife got pregnant and wanted to be there at the birth.Joe was still on the coast when the boy went to college.So the story goes.As you stated.a good shipmate,with a sense of humour.Think he finished up with a shop about Rosemount area in Aberdeen.Like everything else it will be long gone.

peteratow
24th January 2009, 21:52
Did a few voyages and coasts with Joe in the 60's and early 70's. He moved back to Shetland from Aberdeen about a couple of years ago and is now living in a village called Levenwick in the south of the Shetland mainland.

EBenarty
24th January 2009, 23:32
Hi Wully,
I believe that Joe has retired south of Lerwick in Leviwck but nothing about Sandy.I beieve after he left the Ben Line he went on the North Boats
Billy

EBenarty
24th January 2009, 23:51
John,

You are right !That is the same Joe making rugs mats and pot hangers and belts . But his brother Sandy did the same. But one of the best I have seen with ropework was Charlie Sedgewick.
Billy

Derek Roger
25th January 2009, 03:03
You are right !That is the same Joe making rugs mats and pot hangers and belts . But his brother Sandy did the same. But one of the best I have seen with ropework was Charlie Sedgewick.
Billy

I will be over in March April for a wedding Billy if you are around . Derek

angus mackenzie
30th May 2012, 22:45
i saild with ben line for 10 years as AB on quite a few boats but can hardly mind any names i mind black angus from lewis willy macgregor from thurso bosun saild with him twice gilly twatt from orkany saild with big beast and the little beast dosens more but their names escape me .i mind the steps bar in london and the old sailor from stornaway down on his luck slater manys the dram i bought him .mable ma hung who used to come aboard in hong kong and sell clothes .riging 10ton gear frisco gear doubling up gear steam guys splicing all the runners what was it 1 under3 2 under 2 1under1 lock 4and5 and6 under 6 ah happy times .what a sight in the k.g.5 dock in london 2 or 3 ben boats blue star [saild on 1 blue star boat tasmania star] and blue flu and many more .was on the cruachan when she hit the big wave i saw sumwhere an AB called cambell who said he there dont mind him ?? does any one mind me ?

wully farquhar
31st May 2012, 21:16
Hi Wully,
I believe that Joe has retired south of Lerwick in Leviwck but nothing about Sandy.I beieve after he left the Ben Line he went on the North Boats
Billy

Correct Billy,i went and saw him and his wife last summer when i was up in Shetland,still the same Joe,like us all gettin older,had a good yarn and a cup o' tea with him.