mcook
5th August 2005, 18:38
I was showing off the site to someone the other day and he asked if
any members were still working at sea. I replied that this was a good
question and I will ask.

I guess I will start the ball rolling;

I am the ETO (Electro-technical Officer) on a DP2 vessel called the
'Global Explorer' (not part of Global Marine). We are working in the
Mexican oilfield in the Bay of Campeche.

I have tried to upload a couple of pictures of the ship as attachments,
but I am not sure if it worked. If not, I will try again later.

Anyone else still sailing?

malcolm

moaf
5th August 2005, 18:58
Isle of Wight ferry, if that counts!!

Rather stay at home until the kids are older at least.

mcook
5th August 2005, 19:03
If it floats, it counts!!

moaf
5th August 2005, 19:04
I try my best to keep them going!

graham mcglone
6th August 2005, 15:21
Dover Harbour Board tugs - can't count. Maths never my strong point!!

Marcus Cardew
6th August 2005, 15:27
No I'm not still at sea, but sailed on 18 ships deep sea until 1975, and have worked on 23 since then as supernumary, charterer, surveyor, etc.. and one as skipper for a delivery job.... Can't seem to escape....

John Rogers
6th August 2005, 16:09
The only sailing I do now malcolm is as passenger on cruise ships or river boats . My sailing days go back to 1947-1954 where according to my Discharge Book I made 30 voyages on 20 various types of ships (Cargo /Tankers). But before I get much older I would like to make a trip to England from the states in a slow cargo ship as a passenger. I will have to start saving my pennies.
John

mcook
6th August 2005, 17:12
I seem to have been unsuccessful in attaching my photos. I tried to
upload into the gallery but that didn't work either. I guess there is
an issue with the satellite link I am using.

I will post some pics of the oilfield and ships when I get home next
month.

Thanks for the replies gents.

malcolm

thunderd
7th August 2005, 01:37
The problem with answering this post is that, in our minds, we are all still at sea and always will be LOL

Pat McCardle
23rd August 2005, 21:25
I'm still at sea. Started(March '77) as Deck boy with P&O on Somerset, Bo'sun at 22 years old with Stevie Ckarkes, fell down hold 2 years later!Oops!! Got on my feet again, 6.5 years later, back as AB, went for 'Ticket', now Mate on a 'High Tech' offshore supply boat, that's computers for you?

mcook
23rd August 2005, 21:38
Thanks for the info Pat. I worked in the North Sea
several years ago on the Rockwater 2 plus a few
others.

Working offshore Mexico now. Apart from the odd
hurricane the weather is MUCH nicer!

cheers
malcolm

Pat McCardle
23rd August 2005, 22:36
With Gulfoffshore. Working back out of Aberdeen with Apache in the Forties Field.Apart from the odd 6 mtr swell all is OK Ha!!

James_C
24th August 2005, 00:45
Just noticed this thread from Daves recent reply, yes I'm still at sea (for my sins), and I see Dave has 'outed' me. LOL
Was away for just a month, on the UK coast, and got back last Tuesday. Was on the 'Border Thistle', as her 2nd Mate. I was offered a permanent job on the coast, but the moneys better Deepsea, so I turned it down, so I'm now back to being a 3rd Mate, the sods......
Off again in a few weeks for a 5 month trip Deep Sea. No idea where or when yet (nothing changes, eh?).

John Rogers
24th August 2005, 01:32
Thanks for the info on the book Dave and Jim, look at all the money you will save on the 5 month trip. Just stay away from that Bombay Sapphire Gin it will rot your socks.
John

James_C
24th August 2005, 02:02
Looks like I won't get the chance to!
Was away all day and found an email in the Inbox, from the Office, they want to know if I can join the 'British Pioneer' in Long Beach, California on the 6th of September.
A VLCC (300,000dwt), so no doubt it'll be a slow steam back to the Gulf, ah the joys.
Intersting to note that she is one of the oldest ships in the fleet now (aside from a couple of Managed LNG Carriers), and yet she's still only 5 years old!

John Rogers
24th August 2005, 02:31
There is a long line forming behind me to carry your bags.
John.

thunderd
24th August 2005, 09:43
Looks like I won't get the chance to!
Was away all day and found an email in the Inbox, from the Office, they want to know if I can join the 'British Pioneer' in Long Beach, California on the 6th of September.
A VLCC (300,000dwt), so no doubt it'll be a slow steam back to the Gulf, ah the joys.
Intersting to note that she is one of the oldest ships in the fleet now (aside from a couple of Managed LNG Carriers), and yet she's still only 5 years old!
Jim, if you look remotely like me ie short, tubby and ugly I am prepared to sacrifice myself and stand in for you (*))

Pat McCardle
24th August 2005, 12:04
Hi! Jim. BP have a big new ship build programme going on at the moment,or so I hear. 35 on order? Mainly LPG/LNG? Tankers, rather you than me. Enjoy!!

scottie dog
24th August 2005, 12:52
Hi
Yes still at sea albeit I had a break of two years shore side
Presently 2nd Eng Deep pioneer just finished laying pipe in Newfoundland.
Bit upset at having to pay Canadian tax tho.
Next job could be in Egypt the Egyptians are also going to tax us.
Seems that the only country willing to turn a blind eye at foriegn workers is good old soft touch UK.

James_C
24th August 2005, 14:36
The total number of ships in the fleet, and those on order come to 70 ships, or thereabouts, with more orders in the Pipeline.
We've only had 3 new LNG tankers delivered, with another 4 on order, plus 4 LPG, and in the past 3 years or so, we've ordered 20 MCC (about 100k dwt), 6 Products (37k dwt), and another 12 product tankers (all 46k dwt), plus a load of Mediteranian coasters (10 of them), 3 UK coasters, and 4 MCCs for Alaska (US built and crewed).
There are persistent rumours that an order for some Chemical tankers is planned.
LNG/LPG ships are by far the best to sail on, the best accommodation, the best equipment, and the least work!

janbonde
24th August 2005, 15:02
To think the origins of the present BP were BTC better known in the trade as Better times coming{WHEN] I was on one of their T2,s when they first stuck the BP shield on the original stack

James_C
24th August 2005, 16:07
Been through a few incarnations, first as the BTC, then the BPTC, and now BP Shipping.
It's our 90th anniversary this year.

John_F
24th August 2005, 16:27
Jim,
I've been sent an invitation for lunch at the Greenwich RN College to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of BP Shipping. Don't know why I got it as I'm not registered as a pensioner with them & I only served 6 years, boy & man, on their vessels. I believe it will be quite a large gathering. I should think that the chances of meeting anyone that I sailed with will be pretty remote but you never know. I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards,
John.

Pat McCardle
24th August 2005, 17:12
The total number of ships in the fleet, and those on order come to 70 ships, or thereabouts, with more orders in the Pipeline.
We've only had 3 new LNG tankers delivered, with another 4 on order, plus 4 LPG, and in the past 3 years or so, we've ordered 20 MCC (about 100k dwt), 6 Products (37k dwt), and another 12 product tankers (all 46k dwt), plus a load of Mediteranian coasters (10 of them), 3 UK coasters, and 4 MCCs for Alaska (US built and crewed).
There are persistent rumours that an order for some Chemical tankers is planned.
LNG/LPG ships are by far the best to sail on, the best accommodation, the best equipment, and the least work!

Just read a couple of those US built jobs have cracked rudders?

James_C
24th August 2005, 17:21
John,
As far as I'm aware, the invitation for that 'do' is open to ALL ex BP men, regardless of when and how long they served.
I hope they haven't put on a free bar, if they have, well, there goes the fleets operating budget!
We know what Tankermen are like...

LOL

James_C
24th August 2005, 17:21
Pat,
That's correct. They've been sent back to the builders (in San Diego) to have this rectified, or so I'm led to believe.

R58484956
24th August 2005, 17:25
If its a free bar, they have the right type of ship to replendish it.

glenn
8th September 2005, 23:33
Did my first trip on the British Scientist back in 1977 Still at sea after a few shots at working ashore dont like it ( working ashore that is ) Jobs so few and far between now what with all the cheap labour Working in the North Sea now Supply or Anchor Handling agency work

Charles compass
9th September 2005, 00:33
Had a shipmate who sailed on the British Workman years back,his name for her was the British Workhouse!!!!!!
Regards Chas

sam2182sw
22nd September 2005, 16:38
hi my son in law works for rockwater he as been on rocky two loads of time and all the boats rockwater have he is on of the riggers onboard you might he as been with them 18 year and through all there name changes
his name is PETER FOSTER FOZZY
SAM

terence
22nd September 2005, 23:06
john how come u live in missouri i no it beats uk tel

Les Hughes
23rd September 2005, 03:15
Getting back to Malcoms original question, I am also in Campeche, on the McDermott DB101.

R781128
23rd September 2005, 19:58
Yes, rolling around right now on a FPSO off Port Harcourt

Les Hughes
25th September 2005, 01:55
Looking at the numbers on some of the discharge books, I guess I must still be wet behind the ears.
R855183

Doug Rogers
25th September 2005, 02:04
Oh yes you are arent you....but honest we wont hold it against you.
Cheers..

gdynia
18th November 2005, 22:26
Only Brit out of a crew off 350 in Gulf of Mexico

Polarum
18th November 2005, 23:19
Yes. I went to sea in 1957. I'm now 65 and have been working as a deckie on the Africa Mercy. Former Danish train ferry being converted to a hospital ship. I've started to have second thoughts about the MN as a career but I suppose it's a bit late now.

Doxfordman
21st November 2005, 03:59
Good lord, makes me feel quite young: R907127. The only number I can really remember.

non descript
21st November 2005, 08:16
Jim, we sold the earlier 'British Pioneer' to Turkish interests and he had the (lack of) style to re-name it "Tish Pion" - I can never understand how having bought something as special as a ship, someone cannot be moved enough to christen her something speciial.

Oz.
21st November 2005, 08:26
Tish Pion???? Good Lord !!! Well, I guess it saved paint and signwriters !!

non descript
21st November 2005, 11:03
Oz, maybe it meant something romantic in Turkish, but I fear your assessment is more likely; afterall the rather pleasant name of "TEVIOTBANK" was changed to "Teviotban" when she was sold and that is, to my mind, even worse than our Turkish friend's use of paint

Jeff Egan
21st November 2005, 14:09
Polarum, I believe the Africa Mercy hospital ship was called the Ingrid when she was a Danish ferry, I piloted this ship twice in 1999 and she had been in the river a while then, six years on and she is still not finished, any idea when she will finally be finished.

ruud
21st November 2005, 14:33
-30 November, 2005
http://www.mercyships.org/images/print2.gif (http://www.mercyships.org/news/NewsPrint.cfm?ID=990&c=26)
http://www.mercyships.org/images/email2.gif (http://www.mercyships.org/news/newsemail.cfm?ID=990&c=26)

1-30 November, 2005

Newcastle, U.K.

Shaping Up

Onboard the Africa Mercy, things are starting to take shape. The linoleum has been laid in the hospital area as well as the dining http://www.mercyships.org/images/client/am-11012005-5.jpgarea. Much of the fixed furniture has been installed. All of this is happening simultaneous to the hospital ship being towed into an approximate two-week dry dock phase. To undergo its yearly required underwater hull survey.

During these two weeks, the Mercy Ship will complete the installation of a 25 ton crane, the installation of 150-man lifeboat guards, welding and load testing of bunkering bollards, as well as load testing of the winches. The shipyard will also complete shipside structural work, as well as installing the bow thruster guards.

http://www.mercyships.org/images/client/ACF87C.jpgStaffing for the initial outreach in Ghana continues for the cities of Tema and Takoradi. Along with staffing, procurement of much needed items continues. Recently 100,000 free safety syringes were donated by a US company. Another company has generously agreed to outfit the whole hospital with IV hooks. It is also an encouragement to see the installation of the medical trunking going up in the hospital. Recently installed in the hospital as well has been the Washer-Disinfector and Sterlizer equipment.

The Africa Mercy recently purchased and received 634 life jackets, immersion suits and thermal protective aid. Special thanks go to crew members Chris and Vicki Gregg who raised the funds to cover these purchased items by partaking in the Great North Run, the world’s largest half-marathon. They raised over £7,000 for this. It’s through efforts of people like Chris and Vicki that so much progress is being made. The deck department still needs mooring lines at £550 each, £8,000 for servicing 10 life rafts, and a 4-ton diesel powered Fork Lift Truck (approx. £10,000 for a reconditioned truck). If you are able to donate the items, or help purchase these, please contact the Procurement Coordinater, Russell Holmes at russell.holmes@mercyships.org (russell.holmes@mercyships.org)

RayJordandpo
25th February 2006, 12:30
I'm still at sea. Spent many years on salvage tugs and supply vessels befoe becoming a DPO (20 years) presently on a Flotell called 'Safe Concordia' being towed by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' from Singapore to Bay of Campeche in Mexico for contract with Pemex. Voyage expected to take 3 months (via Suez) Have worked on many of the DP vessels you guys have mentioned including Balmoral Sea, Uncle John etc.
Ray Jordan

gdynia
25th February 2006, 12:34
I'm still at sea. Spent many years on salvage tugs and supply vessels befoe becoming a DPO (20 years) presently on a Flotell called 'Safe Concordia' being towed by the 'Wolraad Woltemade' from Singapore to Bay of Campeche in Mexico for contract with Pemex. Voyage expected to take 3 months (via Suez) Have worked on many of the DP vessels you guys have mentioned including Balmoral Sea, Uncle John etc.
Ray Jordan
Same as Ray spent many a year on Salvage Tugs,Specialized vessels etc and now offshore Gabon on Heavy Lift Crane Barge Thialf

Fred Booth
25th February 2006, 17:12
undefined
Hi There
glad you are at sea
I collect ships mail
Will you post me a couple of letters so I get your ships cancel and a Paquetbot cancel
All I need is where your ship is registered and a mailing address I will then send you 2 SAE
many thanks
Fred in UK

Wee John
25th February 2006, 23:34
I'm still working, and still trying to teach cadets the proper way to do the job.
They are the future and I hope to pass on some of the pride we had in our work. OK it has changed but the basic is still the same. There are a few dinosaur's left at sea.

mcook
25th February 2006, 23:53
Ray Jordan

Ray,
Small world. I was on the Balmoral Sea for a couple of trips. Last time I left her was three days before she caught fire and capsized in New Orleans. (I had nothing to do with it- Honest!)

I just got home Thursday night from my ship 'Global Explorer' which works in the Bay of Campeche, so I will keep an eye open for the Safe Concordia when she arrives there.

malcolm

Charlie_Wood
26th February 2006, 00:09
I don't know if being a pilot counts as still being at sea. All I know is that it's the perfect job. I had no intention of becoming a pilot, I just seemed to fall in to it. I get to do all the best bits and then go home and, no matter what the nationality, I am still working with my kind of people, seafarers one and all are a breed apart.

mcook
26th February 2006, 00:28
Charlie,

It sure counts as far as I am concerned.

Whereabouts are you a pilot?

malcolm

RayJordandpo
1st March 2006, 15:35
Ray,
Small world. I was on the Balmoral Sea for a couple of trips. Last time I left her was three days before she caught fire and capsized in New Orleans. (I had nothing to do with it- Honest!)

I just got home Thursday night from my ship 'Global Explorer' which works in the Bay of Campeche, so I will keep an eye open for the Safe Concordia when she arrives there.

malcolm Hi, Actually Malcom I lie. The 'Balmoral Sea' was called the 'Eastern Installer' (ex 'Arctic Surveyor') when I was on her. I was there for about two years before taking her to Liverpool where she laid up for a while then was sold to Cal-Dive and renamed 'Balmoral Sea' we all now what happened next! We are expected in the GOM mid May (I really don't know why they chose Suez over the Cape) The Med can also get pretty nasty this time of year.
Cheers, Ray Jordan

gdynia
1st March 2006, 16:26
Hi, Actually Malcom I lie. The 'Balmoral Sea' was called the 'Eastern Installer' (ex 'Arctic Surveyor') when I was on her. I was there for about two years before taking her to Liverpool where she laid up for a while then was sold to Cal-Dive and renamed 'Balmoral Sea' we all now what happened next! We are expected in the GOM mid May (I really don't know why they chose Suez over the Cape) The Med can also get pretty nasty this time of year.
Cheers, Ray Jordan
Ray
Just come in thro grapevine Cal-Dives Seawell had a fatality last week in North Sea

gdynia
1st March 2006, 16:27
Ray,

malcolm
Malcolm
Alot of Rolex watches lost on her when she capsized saw quite a few of the claim forms

mcook
1st March 2006, 17:01
Hmmmmm.....
Looks like I missed out there!!

malcolm :@

RayJordandpo
10th March 2006, 18:27
Ray
Just come in thro grapevine Cal-Dives Seawell had a fatality last week in North Sea
I just heard he was a 34 old from Tayside, killed by a heavy piece of machinery (mandrill) whilst involved in wireline ops in the Gannet Field
Ray

penman10
10th March 2006, 19:09
I,m still at sea malcolm was a bosun/crane operator on a d.s.v for 4 weeks off trinidad it was only tempory just waiting for another job off the agencies but getting fed up now been ashore 8weeks

gdynia
10th March 2006, 19:42
I,m still at sea malcolm was a bosun/crane operator on a d.s.v for 4 weeks off trinidad it was only tempory just waiting for another job off the agencies but getting fed up now been ashore 8weeks
Penman

Saipem were advertizing last week for crane drivers offshore might be a help for you-no contact details

penman10
11th March 2006, 02:07
Penman

Saipem were advertizing last week for crane drivers offshore might be a help for you-no contact details
thanks gdynia I will look for contacts and details

Rickyboi
23rd April 2006, 20:37
I currently work at sea with a heavy lift company, worldwide tramping. Is interesting with a combination of Heavy Lift, Project and general cargo. Also planning to do spend some time in the summer working as 3/O with a large sail training ship.

Fred Booth
23rd April 2006, 22:10
Hi Mike
Icollect Ships mail "Paquetbot Mail" will you post me some envelopes if I send them to you
what I need to know is where the vessel is registered
You can post mail from ship, with stamps of the port of registeration anywhere in the world, so if you are British reg. you can post these with British stamps on in Mexico or USA and they put a Paquetbot cancel on to show they were posted at sea
can you help, this is what I collect
Fred in Doncaster

mrcanoehead
28th August 2008, 10:39
still out here working for MSC, Curreently on The USNS SUPPLY. Been at MSC since 1990, came here from algoma central on the great lakes, first ship at msc was the Hospital Ship comfort, Beat that from a nasty bulker on the Great lakes to a hospital ship doing circles in the P gulf in the month of October. till the following march, when we got the go ahead to move back to america, arrived home just in time to do taxes that year, oh how funny it all was, all over jilted story about Iraq invading Kwaitt, Obviously defending Teaxas oil investments, right or should that story ever be told?