Alsatia/Andria Cunard

R396040
19th January 2009, 21:36
Anyone remember these two ? Both ex Silver Line and distinctive because of their twin funnels. Good ships mine was Alsatia circa early sixties with good memories

Monket
19th January 2009, 21:43
Signed on the Alsatia as an EDH March 1962, left after one trip to Canada, too blerdy cold.

joebuckham
19th January 2009, 22:00
alsatia and andria bought 1951 from silver line, ex silverplane and silverbriar respectively. built j. l. thompsons sunderland 1948. they then became union freedom and union faith, the latter, i believe, collided with a petrol barge on the mississippi in 1969 and was burnt out.

the for'd funnel housed the chart room

Brian Lawson
10th June 2009, 18:14
My father and grandfather worked on both these ships in the 50's and 60's.

david hunt
12th August 2009, 21:16
These two were always my favourite ships. Although I never went to sea as a career, I did drive for Cunard Avonmouth office, and went aboard both of these. I was driving a hire car and working for my Father who supplied the car and we took the Captains and Officers, Engineers, and Chief Stewards of all for Cunard related vessels. These were Donaldson Line, which were back and forth across the pond. Port Line which did the Australasia trips, Brocklebank, on the Indian routes, and the occasional Cunard cargo ship. We had the four Med boats at different times. The Assyria called on one occasion, and the two mentioned at the start. I remember the Captain of the Alsatia asking the Cunard agent if I would go to his cabin on sailing day, and he gave me a five shilling tip. Now, that may not seem much, but my weekly wage at the time, was five pounds before stoppages. For this, I was expected to go out for any and every journey required by the agents. Tide times are variable so any time of docking or sailing, and any time during the day or night, but the day time was usually from about half nine to one thirty. Back again about three until about five-thirty/six-ish, and then return whatever time the ship sailed or one arrived. The Captains cabin was in the former funnel as I recall. Even to this day, I like these two ships, and I frequently look at the photo's I have of them, both as Cunarders, and Silver Line vessels. Dave H.

R58484956
13th August 2009, 10:55
Greetings David and welcome to SN on your posting. Bon voyage.

Blade Fisher
9th October 2011, 22:56
My father and grandfather worked on both these ships in the 50's and 60's.

What years are we talking about here? My dad was a 3/E on the Alsatia in early 1956.

Regards

Richard Carr

KYRENIA
9th October 2011, 23:43
My father was greaser on ALSATIA early 60`s. AB`s were Dickie Austins and "Watmo" , Lived in North Woolwich.
Cheers, John.

Old Cunarder
19th October 2011, 20:53
Is it true extra strengthening had to be added, between the for part of the superstructure and the weather deck to cope with the North Atlantic weather?

R396040
19th October 2011, 21:08
Is it true extra strengthening had to be added, between the for part of the superstructure and the weather deck to cope with the North Atlantic weather?

Cant recall that.They were good seaships though in my opinion and I enjoyed my time on both of them early sixties. They LOOKED good too,
Stuart H

Cunarder8
1st November 2011, 20:48
Anybody reading this on board the Alsatia when she ran aground in the Chesapeake Canal on way from New York to Newport News in 1956 or 57 ?

ANDREW JON WILSON
22nd February 2012, 13:13
I was 3rd Mate on Andria for one voyage ex London to Canada /USA in Dec/Jan 1963. The senior apprentice was Paul watts, cousin of Charie Watts of Rolling Stones fame I believe and his uncle was Cunard Commodore at that time.What a wonderful elegant vessel she was and so fast averaging 17-18 knots regularly.Next voyage I was brought down to earth with maximum 8 knot , wartime 'Sands' boat 'Brescia on the Meddy run. !! happy days.