Mahseer

R651400
6th August 2005, 14:17
Have always wondered how many ships Brocklebanks owned that were not place names eg Mahseer and Mahout?
Thought you Brocklies might be interested in a picture of the mighty mahseer, rated as one of the best fresh-water catches ever.
I have personally had the pleasure, (though not quite the size), fishing the river Jumna, an idyllic spot bordering Haryana, Himachal and Uttar Pradesh states.
This superb specimen caught in southern India, was released to fight another day.
n.b. Mahseer belong to the perch family, Nile perch and Australian barramundi, depicted on the North Queensland coat of arms.

John Rogers
6th August 2005, 14:26
Nice fish, I see some big scales on it almost like a Tarpon.
John

mcook
6th August 2005, 14:48
As far as I know all Brock ships started with MA and were named after
some Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi object or place. There may be a few short
lived exceptions to these names with some chartered vessels and some
war reparation vessels in the fleet at various times.

Another member of the Cunard-Brocklebank group was Moss tankers. All
their ship names started LU and had some connection with light. Lustrous
and Luminous are obvious. Lucigen was, I think, Greek for 'Piercing
Light'. Luxor is named after the Egyptian city, otherwise known as the 'City
of Light'. At least someone put some thought into choosing those names.

On the other side of the coin were the Atlantic Container Transport ships, with original names of ACT1, ACT2, ACT3 ad nauseum.

malcolm

michael james
6th August 2005, 19:36
Re Brocklebank ships names: Some time ago I approached the Indian Embassy in London regarding some of the names which were so obscure that I couldnt find where they were derived from, I got back a folder full of information, railway maps, OS maps of India plus a lot of reading material. I was rather impressed with the trouble they had gone to - and I didnt receive a bill !

I had a litter of Field Trial Labrador puppies all Kennel Club registered with Brocklebank names. Maidan Mist, Matheran May, Maskeliya Miller etc etc

At least the names live on in K9 circles. LOL

thunderd
7th August 2005, 01:29
I had a litter of Field Trial Labrador puppies all Kennel Club registered with Brocklebank names. Maidan Mist, Matheran May, Maskeliya Miller etc etc

Mr. Brocklebank's chest would swell with pride Mike....what dedication LOL

michael james
7th August 2005, 01:53
Mathura Melody was Champion in 1999.(My first Brocklebank ship too) I was chuffed as he would have been !

robbo
7th August 2005, 03:44
Re Brocklebank ships names: Some time ago I approached the Indian Embassy in London regarding some of the names which were so obscure that I couldnt find where they were derived from, I got back a folder full of information, railway maps, OS maps of India plus a lot of reading material. I was rather impressed with the trouble they had gone to - and I didnt receive a bill !

At least the names live on in K9 circles. LOL

Michael
The KCC down here don't allow place names but we managed to slip through
2 of our Border Collies with Checkmate CHANDPARA and her daughter SOCOTRA Misty Haze (for BI and Pand O)
(Thumb) Robbo

thunderd
7th August 2005, 05:36
Mathura Melody was Champion in 1999.(My first Brocklebank ship too) I was chuffed as he would have been !
Somehow I just can't imagine standing in the middle of a park with a lead in my hand calling "Mathura Melody come here", but I do understand your pride, they are also a lovely breed of dog.

Doug Rogers
7th August 2005, 06:45
That might be a better option than calling "Andes" or "Himalaya" come here!!...if those boys jumped up at you they could be quite weighty to say the least. But then again is Sampson or Goliath any better. I think I'll just go and take my medicine again now. Think I had better give the Sea Dawg some as well so I am in good company (*)) :) :cool:

thunderd
7th August 2005, 07:46
Yeah but Doug is the medicine made in Scotland and does it make you a bit wobbly on your feet?

Doug Rogers
7th August 2005, 08:41
Of course its made in Scotland, where else would it be made for heavens sake!!, all the best medicine is made there. And I dont know if it makes me wobbly on my feet because I was always told to lie down when I had to take my medicine, and then when I have had enough of it I go to sleep.....and the Sea Dawg as well. But he doesnt consume as much as I do as he is much smaller, thank heavens because the medicine bills would be enormous if he was a big Sea Dawg.

R798780
7th August 2005, 09:05
Now that is some fish.
I knew Mahseer was an Indian river fish but that one is trully worthy.
Some time ago I made a posting, referring to the writing pad (A5 or so) Brocklebanks issued to ships, with the current ships names and their meanings on the back cover. Sadly I never kept one, and I joined in '64. a lot of ships had gone in the early '60s, names not to be repeated. I got a lot of help back but still have glaring holes and my searching on google and dogpile come back with confusing and ambiguous results.

Can't find that posting now, was it lost in February. Any help much appreciated.

Moss Tankers Lucigen may mean "Leading Light". I was told some time last century that one of the names was concocted. Lucellum or Lucerna? Otherwise, what do they mean. I'm in the dark. Somewhere in the attic I have a list of the birth and death of all Moss tanker tonnage to the mid '70s. Really must get up there.

R651400
7th August 2005, 09:43
Since the thread has moved slightly from salt-caked smoke stacks and gamefish to canine, thought I would present my pride and joy, including country of birth.
Lady Buffy Plockton, French-born ten year-old West Highland terrier.
In France dogs have yearly alphabetical registrations similar to UK cars.
Buffs is a L reg. with reg no. tattooed inside her ear, dognapping is big business in this part of the world!
I also had a list of all Blue Funnel ships and international call letters when I was with them. Sadly disappeared in the mists of time.
Happily though, I can still retain many of the callsigns in the non-pickled portion of my grey matter.

michael james
7th August 2005, 20:02
Derek: Its all done by whistle, no voice commands, at home answers to Bella.
Robbo: Well done you have to beat silly rules.
R651400: What a lovely little ankle-biter ! Dognapping eh! Take-away trade has been blamed for similar occurances here ! (Or was that cats)

John Rogers
7th August 2005, 22:03
As sea dogs go I have a Jack Russell, over the years I have owned many breeds of dogs but Little "Nipper" is the smartest,cleanest,and loveable of them all.

thunderd
8th August 2005, 00:31
Give me a Maltese terrorist any day

Doug Rogers
8th August 2005, 00:39
Since the thread has moved slightly from salt-caked smoke stacks and gamefish to canine, thought I would present my pride and joy, including country of birth.
Lady Buffy Plockton, French-born ten year-old West Highland terrier.
In France dogs have yearly alphabetical registrations similar to UK cars.
Buffs is a L reg. with reg no. tattooed inside her ear, dognapping is big business in this part of the world!
I also had a list of all Blue Funnel ships and international call letters when I was with them. Sadly disappeared in the mists of time.
Happily though, I can still retain many of the call letter in the non-pickled portion of my grey matter.

Love the picture, Andrew the Sea Dawg is a Westie as well, eighteen months old, frighteningly smart, has been known to hide his own toys so he can play hide and seek...ah the sea and a good dog, what else could you want!!!.

michael james
8th August 2005, 01:15
Not to be outdone. Introducing "Bella"

trotterdotpom
8th August 2005, 01:25
Seem to recall the Indian Ocean Pilot Book warning against landing on Socotra - inhabited by cannibals. That must have been one fierce Collie!

My mother had a Westie called Mac and he used to sit by the cupboard where his food was and say: "Mam, biscuit." People think I'm mad when I say that - I thought I was mad when I heard him say it! He had a couple of other sayings...not quite E=MC squared, but still a very smart dog.

I have now got a real sea dog, a Keeshond (aka Dutch Barge Dog). Unfortunately, she is terrified of water and no amount of 'Dutch Courage' will change her.

John T.

Doug Rogers
8th August 2005, 03:25
Not to be outdone. Introducing "Bella"

Hi Bella...nice to be introduced. (Thumb)

thunderd
8th August 2005, 05:50
I think there is something wrong with the SN shortcut on my desktop, every time I select it I get the "Lower Bromley and Eastern Districts Butchers Picnic Dog Show".

Either my computer is haywire or it's high time the moderators did their job and stopped all this canine dribble.

Max the maltese terrorist and Doodles the poodle are not speaking to me bacause I have been admiring other four legged people on my computer

Doug Rogers
8th August 2005, 06:20
Time for your medicine again??, double dose?? lol
:)

R651400
9th August 2005, 09:32
Well lads and lassies, this thread has made a pleasant change and brought out the animal lovers in us.
I know the French are not everyone's cup of tea, but did you know it was a Frenchman who introduced the saying.

"The more I see of man, the more I love my dog."

The sea and a dog, how right he was.

Will be changing my avatar soon, L. Buffs says "Au revoir a tous."

trotterdotpom
10th August 2005, 03:25
Well lads and lassies, this thread has made a pleasant change and brought out the animal lovers in us.
I know the French are not everyone's cup of tea, but did you know it was a Frenchman who introduced the saying.

"The more I see of man, the more I love my dog."

The sea and a dog, how right he was.

Will be changing my avatar soon, L. Buffs says "Au revoir a tous."

I looked the quote up and it was by a lady called Mme. de Stael. I thought it may have been by the famous French eccentric, Gerard de Nerval who, when asked why he was leading a lobster on a blue ribbon, replied: "Because it doesn't bark and it knows the secrets of the sea."

They put him away after that!

John T.

R651400
10th August 2005, 06:29
Have re-vamped my avatar. To keep the thread rolling, here is the latest shot of my wee Westie.
Buffs' weak heart condition dictates she cannot walk too far, especially in the temperatures we are experiencing in s of France at the moment.
Thumbnail Buffs and porter. Guess who?
p.s. Non, the porter is not performing the French ritual... relieving himself in public!

billyboy
10th August 2005, 07:00
Just love that dog Zelda! looking a wee bit hungover though

thunderd
10th August 2005, 07:23
Zelda I thought you were the cat lady, looks like you are an all round animal lover

billyboy
10th August 2005, 08:02
got that pic on profile Zelda. now you can see the wife as well LOL

Doug Rogers
10th August 2005, 08:32
Have re-vamped my avatar. To keep the thread rolling, here is the latest shot of my wee Westie.
Buffs' weak heart condition dictates she cannot walk too far, especially in the temperatures we are experiencing in s of France at the moment.
Thumbnail Buffs and porter. Guess who?
p.s No, the porter is not performing the French ritual... Relieving himself in public!

Sorry I had to hide this post from Andrew the Sea Dawg, he already has ambitions above his station, if he saw the picture I would be expected to cart him around like that as well...and he is as fit as a fiddle!!.

R798780
11th August 2005, 00:07
I had hoped to get some input on the ships names re locations, animals or whatever. But I can't go against the flow full time, so if you want dogs, heres a dog. The discerning amongst you may recall the backdrop some years later in Prince of Thieves.

John Rogers
11th August 2005, 00:57
Where is that river located,it looks familiar.
John

michael james
11th August 2005, 01:54
Hugh,
If it was Brocklebank ships names you are wanting input on, I have not forgotten,but have not yet had time to get the folder from the attic.

R798780
11th August 2005, 07:56
Where is that river located,it looks familiar.
John
Aysgarth Falls on the River Ure in Wensleydale. Also with my younger brother. About the time I ambled up Roseberry Topping!

R798780
11th August 2005, 07:57
Hugh,
If it was Brocklebank ships names you are wanting input on, I have not forgotten,but have not yet had time to get the folder from the attic.
I didn't really lose faith Mike. Thanks. Still have a pic of a KC registered labrador to impose on folks.

trotterdotpom
11th August 2005, 09:33
Aysgarth Falls on the River Ure in Wensleydale. Also with my younger brother. About the time I ambled up Roseberry Topping!

Hugh,

Think we already had the Roseberry Topping conversation, but looking at the photo, I'd guess you may have been up there before the curly bit fell off? It used to look like one of those hat that the mad knitters wore while waiting for an execution on the guilletine. The point fell off in the late '50s I think.

John T.

R798780
11th August 2005, 10:58
Hugh,

Think we already had the Roseberry Topping conversation, but looking at the photo, I'd guess you may have been up there before the curly bit fell off? It used to look like one of those hat that the mad knitters wore while waiting for an execution on the guilletine. The point fell off in the late '50s I think.

John T.
Just putting a timescale on it, I didn't confess when we talked about the hill that I was only a kid when we sauntered up. Pic of the dane about 1960.

R651400
11th August 2005, 13:36
Ocean Liners

R651400
11th August 2005, 13:40
Didn't really want a complete list of Ma's, just wondered how many were not place names and if there was any Brock who didn't know what a mahseer was or looked like.
Still retain my little yellow book of stats, on real ships

R798780
11th August 2005, 13:54
Markhor = Mountain Goat; Makrana = Mountain Sheep. Amongst the others you have a park, a garden, a couple of tea plantations, a temple I think, and some rivers. Most of the rest are place names, but I await Mike's input to fill in my blanks. I appreciated the fish - did not know what one looked like.

Bruce Carson
11th August 2005, 14:10
Back to dogs :-)
May I respectfully suggest that my beagle GORDIE deserves a place on this thread.
Not only the best dog I've ever had, he's a qualified lookout at the bow, as the picture will attest.
That dog has saved me from many an iceberg.!

thunderd
12th August 2005, 01:00
That dog has saved me from many an iceberg.!

How does that work Bruce, in your country do you paddle the canoe backwards? Sure is an alert looking lookout.

Bruce Carson
12th August 2005, 03:10
"Sure is an alert looking lookout."

Hi Derek, what do you expect on the dog watch? :-)

Dave, no moderating for Gordie: taking care of me is a full time job.

Bruce C.

billyboy
12th August 2005, 03:29
very "Dogmatically" put Bruce. regards to Gordie!

trotterdotpom
12th August 2005, 05:54
Is that a bark canoe? If Gordie sees anything near the front, does he say "Bow Wow"?

Getting silly now - too long in the Dog Latitudes. Sorry.

John T.

R651400
12th August 2005, 07:05
I looked the quote up and it was by a lady called Mme. de Stael.
Thanks for the gender correction John. I was told it was by a French illusionist who was given a dog as a present by Houdini.
Illusionists kept their secrets secret and apparently this misanthropic Frenchman spoke to no one and had the statement pinned to his permanently locked dressing-room door

trotterdotpom
12th August 2005, 08:21
Thanks for the gender correction John. I was told it was by a French illusionist who was given a dog as a present by Houdini.
Illusionists kept their secrets secret and apparently this misanthropic Frenchman spoke to no one and had the statement pinned to his permanently locked dressing-room door

Actually, I prefer your version.

John T.

michael james
12th August 2005, 23:19
Hugh and Dave,
Second attempt to post-first was unreadable so hope this is better.

NB: Additional notes found within file sent to me after initial list:

Magdapur is missing, perhaps they could not find one in India!
Subsequently found out that Magdapur was a village adjacent to Sitapur Town in Uttar Pradesh.
Masirah is a village in River Satara District, Maharashtra and a village in Madhya Pradesh.

Trevor
23rd August 2005, 22:44
As far as I know all Brock ships started with MA and were named after
some Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi object or place. There may be a few short
lived exceptions to these names with some chartered vessels and some
war reparation vessels in the fleet at various times.

Another member of the Cunard-Brocklebank group was Moss tankers. All
their ship names started LU and had some connection with light. Lustrous
and Luminous are obvious. Lucigen was, I think, Greek for 'Piercing
Light'. Luxor is named after the Egyptian city, otherwise known as the 'City
of Light'. At least someone put some thought into choosing those names.

On the other side of the coin were the Atlantic Container Transport ships, with original names of ACT1, ACT2, ACT3 ad nauseum.

malcolm
One of the best comments I have heard about Brocks names, came from the 1st electrician on a ship I was on, the Mahronda, I think. He was complaining to the Old Man about the food, he said " I believe the next ship is being named the Malnutrition"
Trevor

R798780
24th August 2005, 14:12
Hugh and Dave,

Subsequently found out that Magdapur was a village adjacent to Sitapur Town in Uttar Pradesh.
Masirah is a village in River Satara District, Maharashtra and a village in Madhya Pradesh.

Just spotted your list Mike. Thanks - fills a great deal of the holes in my list.

There are a couple of differences, Brocks definitely had "Post Office districts" in the State of Whatever, certainly for Mawana. I presume after independence they were allowed to be called towns and villages.

Not sure about Mangla, I believe Brocks corrupted the name of Mungla Creek up by Chalna. I see they've got a port "Mongla" up there now.

Marcus Cardew
24th August 2005, 14:31
One of the best comments I have heard about Brocks names, came from the 1st electrician on a ship I was on, the Mahronda, I think. He was complaining to the Old Man about the food, he said " I believe the next ship is being named the Malnutrition"
Trevor
I remember someone referring the the 'MaGawd' once upon a time....

michael james
24th August 2005, 20:27
Hugh,
You could well be right on both points, when the Embassy came up with this dam in Hindustan, I had one heck of a job to find it on any map that I had or they provided, bit vague I thought ! Regarding P.O.D`s I am sure you are right pre 1947.

Sorry I should have sent you a PM when I posted the list. Salaams

Harry Nicholson
12th October 2005, 23:16
Hugh and Dave,

'''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hello, here's another: My last ship was Marwarri which I believe is the name of a rich caste of moneylenders from the Madras district. I think some early Brock ships drew names from the Persian Gulf and Hadramaut coast.
regards
Harry Nicholson

R651400
13th October 2005, 10:08
[QUOTE= I think some early Brock ships drew names from the Persian Gulf and Hadramaut coast.
[/QUOTE]

Masirah is an island of the coast of Oman, Indian Ocean.

R651400
13th October 2005, 10:10
I think some early Brock ships drew names from the Persian Gulf and Hadramaut coast.

Masirah is an island of the coast of Oman, Indian Ocean.

john russell
25th October 2005, 14:45
As sea dogs go I have a Jack Russell, over the years I have owned many breeds of dogs but Little "Nipper" is the smartest,cleanest,and loveable of them all.
hi John, my old dog whent over the bar,no more,get ting on bit now,a jack russ neded new home ,its saved me, j.russell ps just had a tot