Female Engineering Cadets

Graham Wallace
22nd January 2009, 02:27
Seeing the 'What happened to Nina' thread started me thinking about female engineering apprentices.
A couple of years ago Gordon Smeaton gave me some information on his seatime which included the Shahamah.
Laura Nardone was indicated as being an E/C, so does anybody know anything about her?
One of the Shahamah's 4/E's was a Heather Cowan, how about her?

The Engineering apprentice/cadet scheme only started in 1952 (The name was changed to Engineering Cadets in 1965) and I have never come across any other females in our group .

Graham

johnb8219
8th May 2009, 10:26
Heather Cowan still doing the rounds, look her up on facebook.
Isailed with her on Shahamah

James_C
8th May 2009, 10:46
Was it Heather who was engaged to Andy Shearer briefly? I can't recall if that was her real name or not, I only remember the nickname.

david freeman
8th May 2009, 12:24
Later in Life when I had joined the marine industry, but not sailing at sea, I was amazed to learn of married sea going couples, maybe in different departments (Radio-engine-deck) ( I never heard of crew female members on a general cargo/tanker ship) serving with diffent shipping companies or the same, and the alledged policy of some companies not not allowing married persons on the same ship in a serving rank capacity. I would ruminate on their personal lives if ships and leave did not coincide? What was the advantage of married life. A question to ponder?

TIM HUDSON
8th May 2009, 13:14
Within the last ten years I sailed with a officer married couple, he Mate and she Second Mate, on large Norweigan flag gas carrier. Like me they were permanant staff returning each trip. They were Australian and lived near Brisbane if I remember correctly. I dont know of any problems and did not see any.

Tim

barnsey
8th May 2009, 14:00
Yup ... Tim is right .... in the late 50's and throughout the 60's the Scandinavians and German vessels had quite a few married couples aboard their ships .... the wives were often the Stewardess's

Ron Stringer
8th May 2009, 14:21
From memory, it seems to me that most cadets (and everyone else on board - apart from some in the Chief Steward's department) were enthusiastic students of female engineering. On passenger ships great efforts were made to pursue such studies while at sea; on all ships, on arriving in port, the subject took priority over most other interests.

However when I was in the MN, I never realised that some shipowners were so enlightened as to provide sponsored training in the discipline. Had I known, I would have transferred from the radio room like a shot.

MARINEJOCKY
8th May 2009, 15:42
Graham,

As usual, one starts a thread and some go way off topic.

I only ever met one Female Engineering Cadet "Officer". She came onboard for a week in Avonmouth before joining the company to see if she would like the work.

I had sailed with Allison a female officer, twice, first as a deck cadet and then as a 3/O. She was also on the ship in Avonmouth and the company thought it a good idea to send this other girl to work on the same ship as Allison.

I was a single guy and the girls biggest complaint was that all of the married guys were trying it on with them.

I have no idea what happened to that new girl but as far as I remember Houlders never had a female engineer while I was there.

I sailed with Mearsk after Houlders and we had a chief steward whose wife was a stewardess and they would sail together for a year and then go home and take a year off. Obviously they had no kids.

Satanic Mechanic
8th May 2009, 16:11
Was it Heather who was engaged to Andy Shearer briefly? I can't recall if that was her real name or not, I only remember the nickname.

Your close but no cigar - best keep this one out of public viewing (Jester)

kevjacko
9th May 2009, 02:57
Sailed with an AB in BP called Chris (Scottish fella, surname escapes me at the mo), He was married to and sailed with the only female (proper, that I'm aware of) Stewardess in the company at the time. Her name was Jean. Anyone recall ?

JoK
9th May 2009, 13:16
Your close but no cigar - best keep this one out of public viewing (Jester)

Being in the industry for 30 years and quite familiar with the mindset, I am sure it is very insulting and degrading.

Satanic Mechanic
9th May 2009, 13:19
Being in the industry for 30 years and quite familiar with the mindset, I am sure it is very insulting and degrading.

Merely suggesting keeping someones private life off the forum does not constitute insulting or degrading. I fail to see the connection

JoK
9th May 2009, 21:52
My apologies-it reads quite differently then what you meant

Beartracks
10th May 2009, 00:30
There was an American flagged Motor Ship fitted with an MAK geared reduced Medium Speed Engine that was specially fitted for voyages to Antarctica carrying US Navy Cargo. I don;t recall her full name but the first word was Green. I rendered some assistance to her in Saudi Arabia a number of years ago at the radioed behest of my Shipping Companies Superintendent Engineer. During my association with her I called her the Green Weenie.

The vessel was unique to say the least. I was met at the gangway in the Port of Daharan by her Captainand he resembled an Old Testament Phrophet, sandles and all. I helped with spares from my ship of which I was Chief Engineer and was able with the assistance of my Electrician and Junior Engineer's to enable Green Weenie to embark on a passage to Antarctica. I heard through the Maritime rumour mill that the Chief Engineer who was in Green Weenie when my people assisted her quit when the ship returned to New Orleans. He was replaced by an extremely stern leather clad woman who reported for duty with her husband who was also leather clad. They are members of a Hells Angles type Motor Cycle Gang and spend their holidays roaring down the Inter State highways of the United States and Canada. Oh and the Chief wouldn't take the job unless her leather clad husband could sail as First Engineer along side her.

Respectfully;
Hugh Curran aka Beartracks

BlueScouse
29th August 2012, 07:25
I did a couple of trips with BP in 1991, Beech and Success.
I remember 3 engine cadets on the Success.One was a girl.Can't remember the name, but she was from Halifax,UK and her father ran a lorry business. She was by far better then the two male cadets.
Heather Cowan mentioned in previous posts. Was an engineer with this name working for Maersk , but haven't noticed the name recently.
Also with Maersk we had an ex Marine who had had the operation, using a womans name.

Satanic Mechanic
29th August 2012, 07:32
I did a couple of trips with BP in 1991, Beech and Success.
I remember 3 engine cadets on the Success.One was a girl.Can't remember the name, but she was from Halifax,UK and her father ran a lorry business. She was by far better then the two male cadets.
Heather Cowan mentioned in previous posts. Was an engineer with this name working for Maersk , but haven't noticed the name recently.
Also with Maersk we had an ex Marine who had had the operation, using a womans name.

Tammy Potter and I am betting your initials are DG - if I am right how are the buffalos? (Wave)

nb She was named for Tammy Wynette, her sister was Billy Jo ........there is absolutely NO truth in the rumour her mother was Boxcar Willie

BlueScouse
30th August 2012, 05:27
Yes, Tammy. Used to play prop forward for her school rugby team.
Correct, I am DG..
No idea who you are.
Still have the farm, but live in town now, so no live buffalos, just a mechanical one.

xieriftips
30th August 2012, 17:51
Later in Life when I had joined the marine industry, but not sailing at sea, I was amazed to learn of married sea going couples, maybe in different departments (Radio-engine-deck) ( I never heard of crew female members on a general cargo/tanker ship) serving with diffent shipping companies or the same, and the alledged policy of some companies not not allowing married persons on the same ship in a serving rank capacity. I would ruminate on their personal lives if ships and leave did not coincide? What was the advantage of married life. A question to ponder?

When I later sailed with CP Ships, we had a Third Mate and Second Mate who were married to each other. Sea personnel were so uncomfortable with this, despite no adverse reports from Masters, that they put the wife on bulkers, where trips were 4 months, while the hubby sailed on tankers with three month trips. All that happened was that the wife resigned, went ashore and joined the police. For sea personnel, "problem solved". For the rest of us, it merely confirmed that what been a good company a few years earlier had become a right bunch of sh*ts. When the redundancies started a year or so later, needless to say, the wife didn't get any!

Graham Wallace
31st August 2012, 18:43
Tony White and wife Clare both ex BP Navigating Apprentice/Cadet sailed as married team on Avon in 1980's

Graham

GrahamWeifang
11th September 2012, 14:29
Was Andy Shearer 3rd Engineer, or maybe 2nd?

Gra.

dxbspd
16th February 2013, 06:28
Just for the record, Andy Shearer was a mate not an Engineer, and he wasnt engaged to Heather!

Both Heather and Tammy currently working as Superintendents for different companies in Singapore.

R58484956
16th February 2013, 11:45
Female engineer cadet on C***** checking the air conditioning in the passenger accomodation without a hygrometer."If it feels right it is ok"

dxbspd
23rd February 2013, 17:26
Currently sitting in Dubai Mish with Tammy Potter having a pint. She says to Bluescouse and Satanicmechanic give us clue who you are. You slack tarts!

Graham Wallace
25th February 2013, 08:19
Currently sitting in Dubai Mish with Tammy Potter having a pint. She says to Bluescouse and Satanicmechanic give us clue who you are. You slack tarts!

Hi,

Maybe you can get her to drop me an email, I have never been in touch with any of BP's female EC's, I would be really interested to hear from her.

Graham

BlueScouse
25th February 2013, 13:11
I was 3rd engineer on the Success when Tammy was a cadet.Think she was first trip.Other 3rd was Alan Barker,lived in Swefden.Arthur Salmon was chief, junior was Trevor Wigg-Twiggy-.Next chief was Gaulkroger,2nd was Norman something,can't remember anyone else.
I joined in Khaosiung Feb 92,left in Kwinana a few months later
This Satanic Mechanic must have been on there, as I only did two trips with BP.

chadburn
25th February 2013, 13:32
I was 3rd engineer on the Success when Tammy was a cadet.Think she was first trip.Other 3rd was Alan Barker,lived in Swefden.Arthur Salmon was chief, junior was Trevor Wigg-Twiggy-.Next chief was Gaulkroger,2nd was Norman something,can't remember anyone else.
I joined in Khaosiung Feb 92,left in Kwinana a few months later
This Satanic Mechanic must have been on there, as I only did two trips with BP.

Could it be Norman Tulip?

oldseamerchant
25th February 2013, 13:54
Whilst I have no experience of female engineering cadets or females serving on ships in any capacity I was alongside Kharg/Mena with the 'Chenonceaux', a French BP tanker in the early 80s. The ship had a well known (Master implied) man and wife team who always sailed together. Husband was the Ch.Eng and wife was a dual certificated Ch.Off. Apparently, she was very good in the ER dept (no jokes please) and much relied by her husband especially in the Electronics area.
A Jebel Dhanna Pilot from Inverness told me she was probably the best Ch.Off he had ever come across when it came to loading and took no messing from Nokador and boat crew.

kevjacko
25th February 2013, 16:05

(Jester) HAHA Never met or sailed with Tammy, but I like her (Jester)

Boatman25
25th February 2013, 17:33
Not surprised SM calls himself that if his real name is Tulip, alright flower hehe

chadburn
25th February 2013, 19:43
Not surprised SM calls himself that if his real name is Tulip, alright flower hehe

Norman Tulip may be the 2nd Eng that was mentioned and he is certainly not the Mechanic. Norman knew his stuff(Thumb)

Boatman25
25th February 2013, 19:56
Thank you, I was wrong then, my apology to Norman Tulip