British Kiwi soccer team

arfabuck
23rd January 2009, 09:01
Can anyone identify the members of the Br. kiwi soccer team - whilst on the Indian Coast circa 1967 please?

The first one in Bombay against a Russian tanker and the second in Port Kembla? against the local village team. Mainly engineers I think.

arfabuck
23rd January 2009, 09:19
Can anyone identify the members of the Br. kiwi soccer team - whilst on the Indian Coast circa 1967 please?

The first one in Bombay against a Russian tanker

3rd engineer in pullover. Goalie and sat between the posts whilst we sweated buckets.

and the second in Port Kembla? against the local village team. Mainly engineers I think.

OM front row in sunglasses = ref until half time then switched to player.

My memory is not the best anymore aye?

John_F
23rd January 2009, 10:36
Arfabuck,
I think you mean the port of Kandla in the Gulf of Kutch, NW India. The locals there always used to offer a game of football - I think they were the local firemen but could be wrong. The pitch was desperate - rock hard & full of potholes. We played there once when I was on the Patriot & got thrashed.
Sorry - can't offer any help in IDs of the Kiwi crew.
Kind regards,
John

drynet
23rd January 2009, 16:32
It would have been the Kandla Fire Brigade. Did they put up a trophy?

Drynet

DAVELECKIE
23rd January 2009, 20:27
Can remember when on the Kiwi in 1971 playing a match in Mombasa at the seamens mission against a German cargo ship. After a close fought match I seem to remember a 2-2 draw was the outcome.
From memory I was in goal, Jim Mcgarrel 3rd engineer at the time and Danny Gallagher chief steward were others who turned out.
Anybody else out there who can add to this.

Dave

arfabuck
23rd January 2009, 23:02
Arfabuck,
I think you mean the port of Kandla in the Gulf of Kutch, NW India. The locals there always used to offer a game of football - I think they were the local firemen but could be wrong. The pitch was desperate - rock hard & full of potholes. We played there once when I was on the Patriot & got thrashed.
Sorry - can't offer any help in IDs of the Kiwi crew.
Kind regards,
John

Quite right John, although I have it in my mind that it was called the RAN of Kutch for some reason. Khandla was just a creek with a short wharf, enough for the ship and a small Indian navy patrol boat astern. I do not remember anything about a fire brigade - and one of their team only had one arm to boot! Good player all the same. The memory is playing tricks because I recall that the shore team had just got beaten in the All India Cup - and we won 3 - 1.

Very hospitable people but we declined the curry after the match.

Funny times. We loaded in Bombay for Port Khandla and then on to Karachi with Avgas for the Pakistani Air force - and these two countries were at war with each other at the time! Is it that Oil transcends all barriers or just that money talks?

Arthur

gadgee
31st January 2009, 23:03
I was in Port Okha and Kandla on the Kiwi in September and November 1967 having loaded in Bombay on both occasions. I remember a football match but do not recognise anybody in your photo. The Old Man was Jimmy Forrest and the Chief Mate was Terry Tytheridge. I was second trip Nav App.

arfabuck
1st February 2009, 18:12
Hi Gadgee,

The pics were taken around April/May from memory.

Tytheridge - I made the mistake of pronouncing it Titheridge joined at I.O.G just before we paid off, so you were probably on the second coasting that year.

Art

JamesM
13th May 2009, 15:44
Can remember when on the Kiwi in 1971 playing a match in Mombasa at the seamens mission against a German cargo ship. After a close fought match I seem to remember a 2-2 draw was the outcome.
From memory I was in goal, Jim Mcgarrel 3rd engineer at the time and Danny Gallagher chief steward were others who turned out.
Anybody else out there who can add to this.

Dave

Hi Dave, Have just picked up this thread.
Yes, you are quite right we did play a match against a German cargo ship, from the Deutsche Ost Afrika Line, but I think it was Dar-es-Salaam. It was a draw but can't remember the score. The game was organised by the Padre from the Seamans Mission.
One thing that sticks in my mind is that our team was made up of officers and some of the Indian crew and needless to say we did'nt have a strip so we wore anything white that we could find ----- must have looked a proper rag-bag outfit.
However, when the Germans arrived they had full kit, as they played regularly, and looked like the German National side. I expected to see Franz Beckenbauer appear at any moment.
Afterwards we sat out on the balcony of the Seamans Mission and had a few beers. The Padre, who was a good guy, even turned on the juke-box so that we could play some "decadent rock n'roll music"(his words) as we were young men and that's what young men did.----- Well we were young then!! :-)
Happy days, great memories.
Regards, James.

JamesM
16th May 2009, 14:16
Further to my last posting, I have by chance, just found a photo that was taken after the match. I'll try to identify as many as I can.
l to r(back row):dan (Cat/Off), Indian Crew, ? , Chris(Nav/App)
l to r(front row):Barry(Nav/App), Reg ?(R/O), - , Self(3/E), Dave?(Elec)

I notice that there are only eight of us in the picture because I think some of the Indian Crew were Catering Staff and had to get back to the ship to get tea ready. The ref must have been the Padre.(God bless his little cotton socks.)
In the above post I made mention of our "strip", but now that I've found this photo, we don't look half bad, not as good as the Germans of course, but presentable I think. One of the German lads is holding a small replica of their house flag, which I've just checked out on the web, and it is the shipping line that I mentioned( The old memory does work sometimes!!)
As I said, great memories.
Regards, James.

DAVELECKIE
16th May 2009, 19:29
Jim
Thanks for putting the photo "up".
Definately Danny Gallagher the Cat off on the left, Im afraid I cant identify myself!!!
Your to be congratulated on remembering the details you have.
If I remember rightly the Padre had told us before the match that the Germans had beaten "all comers" up to then, so a draw was an honourable result for us!
Dave