s.s.SARPEDON

teb
24th January 2009, 07:22
Sarpedon Blue Funnels coal burning cargo/passenger late 40's voyage to Hong Kong many of the passengers were ex civilian POW's from Stanley camp returning to Hong Kong, would dearly like to hear from anyone who sailed on her on this voyage.

Trevorw
15th February 2009, 13:12
Sorry, it isn't a reply to your point, but I am trying to find out some details of "Sarpedon".
Specifically, does anyone have any details of her voyage in February 1938 from UK to the Far East. Passenger lists would be a real bonus.
Also, can anyone provide me with details of her build date and scrapping or sale date?

Pat Kennedy
15th February 2009, 13:33
Sorry, it isn't a reply to your point, but I am trying to find out some details of "Sarpedon".
Specifically, does anyone have any details of her voyage in February 1938 from UK to the Far East. Passenger lists would be a real bonus.
Also, can anyone provide me with details of her build date and scrapping or sale date?

Sarpedon; Built at Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, 1923.
Scrapped 1953 by John Cashmore & Co, Newport, Monmouthshire.

Pat

R58484956
15th February 2009, 15:04
SS Sarpedon 11326tons Built 1923, 499.0 x 62.3 x 34.9.
4 Steam turbines single reduction geared to 2 screw shafts, built by the shipbuilders Cammel Laird. DF, Radar. Code flags GDRC. 3 Decks
Registered Liverpool, British flag.
Owned by Ocean SS Co; Ltd. Managed by Alfred Holt & Co;

BillH
15th February 2009, 15:58
SS Sarpedon 11326tons Built 1923, 499.0 x 62.3 x 34.9.
4 Steam turbines single reduction geared to 2 screw shafts, built by the shipbuilders Cammel Laird. DF, Radar. Code flags GDRC. 3 Decks
Registered Liverpool, British flag.
Owned by Ocean SS Co; Ltd. Managed by Alfred Holt & Co;
SARPEDON (4th of name in fleet) (1923 - 1953) Sarpedon class steel steamship.
O.N. 147214. 11,326g. 6,714n. 499.0 x 62.3 x 34.9 feet.
Four steam turbines made by the shipbuilder reduction geared to twin propeller shafts. 7,500 SHP. 15 kts.

2.2.1923: Launched by Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead (Yard No. 893), for the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.

5.1923: Completed.

1953: Sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation and allocated to J. Cashmore Ltd., for demolition at Newport.

5.6.1953: Delivered.

eldersuk
16th February 2009, 00:04
Sarpedon at Liverpool landing stage.

TonyAllen
16th February 2009, 13:45
Great picture Eldersuk I wish they would rebuild that landing stage, what an asset it would be to the port of liverpool to see ships of that like again, not possible I suppose Regards Tony Allen

teb
20th February 2009, 01:29

Trevorw- pleased to see you received some of the data you were seeking-sadly I have not been so successful with my quest.I was 3rd R/O on her for one voyage!!!!Teb

DURANGO
20th February 2009, 18:47
Sarpedon at Liverpool landing stage.
There was also a second Sarpedon she was broken up in Kaoshiung late in 1969 i think she had been a Glen line ship before a name change , i was at the wheel of the Athenic as we came alongside her in November of 1969 demolition was well under way as i remember , two fine British ships ending their days together ,soon to be followed by many more of our great ships of the time .

Athenic .

Athenic lies ,longside the quay
awaits her final destiny
lying there proud and old
to the breakers she,s been sold
the dock she leaves with a sigh
it,s time to sail the tide is high
one last voyage is her plight
we slipped away into the night
as i stand at the wheel
through my hands her pulse i feel
sadness lives within the ship
no smile is seen on any lip
her anchor makes one final take
for soon her heart ,they will break
the whistle blows" man for the wheel "
it,s time for me her fate to seal .

Tom Inglis
24th May 2010, 10:40
There was also a second Sarpedon she was broken up in Kaoshiung late in 1969 i think she had been a Glen line ship before a name change , i was at the wheel of the Athenic as we came alongside her in November of 1969 demolition was well under way as i remember , two fine British ships ending their days together ,soon to be followed by many more of our great ships of the time .

Athenic .

Athenic lies ,longside the quay
awaits her final destiny
lying there proud and old
to the breakers she,s been sold
the dock she leaves with a sigh
it,s time to sail the tide is high
one last voyage is her plight
we slipped away into the night
as i stand at the wheel
through my hands her pulse i feel
sadness lives within the ship
no smile is seen on any lip
her anchor makes one final take
for soon her heart ,they will break
the whistle blows" man for the wheel "
it,s time for me her fate to seal .

Yes you are right about the last Sarpedon being a Glen Boat, she was "Glengyle" and I was 3rd mate on her when she came round from London to Liverpool to be renamed [August 1967] I guess she did a couple of trips as a Bluey then went to Kaohshiung. She was coming off Glen line to make way for the last of the Glenalmond class. But alas by then Ocean was already on the slippery slope although we didn't all realise it.

Regards
Tom Inglis

hawkey01
24th May 2010, 13:21
Tom,

sorry but there was one more after her. I sailed on Sarpedon in 1968/1969 and she was indeed an ex Glen but she was the Denbighshire. She indeed went for scrap to Kaoshiung after I paid off. I joined her 25th November 1968 and paid off 16th April 1969.

Hawkey01

Tom Inglis
25th May 2010, 10:46
Tom,

sorry but there was one more after her. I sailed on Sarpedon in 1968/1969 and she was indeed an ex Glen but she was the Denbighshire. She indeed went for scrap to Kaoshiung after I paid off. I joined her 25th November 1968 and paid off 16th April 1969.

Hawkey01

Hi Hawkey,
my apologies to all, my memory fails me sometimes. I lost My discharge book many years ago and all I have to go on now is a bunch of old watch keeping certificates, which of course only take me up to Masters Ticket. You are dead right Hawkey, I just checked in the Ships In Focus book on Glen Line and it says Glengyle transferred to "Deucalion" and Denbighshire to "Sarpedon" I should have checked that yesterday before I went into print.
I really need to double check everything now!
regards to all , especially ex Blueys
Tom Inglis

hawkey01
25th May 2010, 15:36
Tom,

Not a problem, we all have our lapses I am sure. I had to get my DBook out to check the dates.

Neville - Hawkey01

sidsal
25th May 2010, 19:49
In 1943(or early 44) I was apprentice on the Brocklebank Maihar loading coal in Lourenco Marques ( eventually ended up in Taranto, Italy). The Sarpedon was there too and EHP Williams, son of a Bluie master was apprentice on her. We were same term on the Conway. He thought they were going home so I asked him to post a letter to my parents when he got to the UK.
On getting home many moons later I asked my mother is she had had a letter posted in the uK. She looked in the desk and produced an envekope with strips of paper in it. The letter had been censored so I think the censors must have looked at letters posted in the UK too.
Poor EHP Willams died a young man after developing some cancer following a football injury ( or rugger). He was a handsome and very clever lad, coming top of lots of subjects on the Conway.