Tree Class - Number of Tanks

ChiefCharles
26th January 2009, 01:41
Following the recent discussions on the number of tanks on the Tree Class I have come across the "Little Green Book" of Engine Equipment Details for the British Poplar dated October 1965 and on page 12 it mentions that an eductor is fitted for tank cleaning, and takes its motive water from one cargo pump operating with either a sea suction or No.11 Centre cargo tank. See attached photos.
I sailed on the Holly as Second Engineer from Jan 68 until July 68 and Phil Sutherland was Chief. It was the only Tree boat I sailed on and was the only BP Tanker I sailed on that never ever suffered an engine room problem. We even used to help painting the engine room on watch at times. She had an immaculate engine room at that time.
I am envious of anyone who could memorize 27 ullages - I could not memorize 4 bunker tank ullages!!!
Regards
Roger

red devil
28th January 2009, 15:49
I sailed on the "Vine" in 1971, thankfully just for a month after being transferred from the lovely old "Chivalry" when we laid her up in Barry docks.
Although I cannot remember her cargo equipment in any detail what does stick in my mind was that all the deck valves (of which there were many) required three or four men with wheel keys to operate them.
This required a full crew callout when topping off and everybody had to be on their toes to avoid any mishaps!!

Geoff_E
28th January 2009, 20:48
I seem to recall that was connected with the use of some sort of neoprene valve packing, though setting up the deck on a "Tree" was never a job for the faint-hearted.
In the late '70's & early '80's the "Trees" that I sailed on as Mate were a little easier to work in that most deck valves could be opened by one (strong) man.

derekhore
29th January 2009, 10:34
On the Laurel....I seem to remember the cadets job before each port was to go round the deck with an oil can of lub oil and give each valve spindle a squirt to lubricate the packing prior to setting up the lines for a load or a discharge!

richardc
29th January 2009, 20:39
The Mate on the Willow used to insist on all valves being closed before starting to set up lines for loading/discharge. I don't remember them being too bad to open or close though as I don't remember carrying a wheelkey around with me and I seem to remember it was the Mates, App's and Pumpman who did the work. Mind you that might be old age!
Regards, Richard.

jweglarz
5th August 2009, 13:13
Sailed on a few of the Tree boats in the early 70's and my experience of "difficult" valves was restricted to the ships that had recently carried lube oils. Used to clean up and load Hamburg as first port, where a shore gang opened every valve inspection plate and gland, replacing all seals and packing. The tank valve glands were well ightened down and when setting up lines, we often needed a couple of wheelkeys and a sledge hammer to hit the spindle and get the valve moving. All eased off after a couple of months.

Vital Sparks
7th August 2009, 10:25
After the sale of the Border boats in the early 80s, a few of the Trees including the Holly had cargo heating coils installed and spent their last days in the European "black oil" trade. Cargo valves turned much easier then.

Dennis Butler
19th February 2010, 13:57
I served as 3rd Mate on "BRITISH IVY" from her delivery by Lithgows, Port Glasgow on 19 Nov, 1965 (I'd actually been standing-by her in miserable wet & windy Greenock since 25 Oct, 1965) until blessed relief @ Isle of Grain's No. 1 Jty (discharging 18638lt AvTur from Abadan) on 27 Aug, 1966 - and still consider her (after so many years) to have been a real *****. We struggled to understand (without proper training) how to operate her cargo pumps (which needed the discharge side to be throttled by a pneumatic automation system that didn't work @ the outset - we spent 3 days in Swansea's Queen's Dock in trying to de-ballast before loading a maiden cargo DO & GO cargo for Rotterdam). Then ensued 6 hr cargo watches in wintry Baltic ports with no shelter from the elements other than huddling in cargo vapour-inhaling semi-warmth in the Pumproom entrance before we ended up on the Australian coast with half the mainly Glaswegian pool crew semi-paralytic with alcohol overdoses. I also recollect her tendency to suffer electrical blackouts in heavy rolling or when sea suction intakes got blocked (leaving Ango Ango on 22 May, 1966 in ballast for Durban & Abadan & running ground in the Congo River!)

I concluded my seafaring with BP Tanker Co. with a subsequent spell as Extra 2nd Mate on better-quality Eriksbergs, Gothenburg-built sistership "BRITISH POPLAR" (31 Oct, 1966 to 9 Feb, 1967) - but that was also a saga of frozen deck watches in Scandinavian discharge ports during mid-winter; I then resigned to join BP Chemicals @ Salt End to head its jetty team - where conditions were mildly warmer...!!

Dennis Butler in Singapore

rodhaigh
21st February 2010, 14:13
Dennis,
Thanks for your recollections. It reminded me of the first 'Tree'class vessel that I saw. I think it was the 'Birch', but am not sure. She was in Abadan on her maiden voyage and mixed several parcels of clean oil into one glorious cocktail due to problems with the valves.
I was in one of the older 12's loading Avgas for a trip up river to Basrah with orders to carry 'maximum' cargo. We filled every tank up until we had avgas coming up out of the ullage pipes onto the deck.
All in line with Health and Safety and MARPOL regs circa 196?.
Cheers
RodH

xieriftips
22nd April 2010, 19:38
British Ivy? Oh, yes, she was the one that spent some time on the buoys at IoG in autumn 1966; sheared cargo pump drive shafts, I think.

And one night two lads who'd missed the last boat back from a night out in Sheerness nicked the (unattended) pilot boat to get back on board. Thing was, as they leapt for the accommodation ladder they put it in gear and let it potter it's own way up the Medway, (still unattended!) until it ran aground on a falling tide. It had been OK unitl then, but it stove in a few planks on grounding.

We were on the next buoy downstream on the Br. Sportsman, and both ships were grilled heavily by the local rozzers the next day.
The two lads who did it owned up and I understand the rozzers would have been happy to let the OM handle the disciplining (Oh, for the days before the 1970 MSA) but - - - there were those damaged planks to pay for.

barnsey
23rd April 2010, 00:19
What an excellent thread ..... we all seem to have experienced similar problems with the class. I was very pleased to see Dennis Butler explain his problems with the pump controls ....we had exactly the same trouble on the "Beech". No training, little explanation and the mate with a handbook in one hand and some pretty experimental disorganised type controls which seemed to have a mind of their own..... pathetic really. Now after many years experience with the system on the last of the "River" class I wonder we managed to discharge the "Beech" at all. In the end it was a great system.

The valves of course were a legend all of their own .... the double ring system was a great system but ... oh the, 130 odd deck valves were a real problem. The neoprene packing was one point but the turns per valve was another .. what was it 32 turns per valve?

We too reverted to shutting every valve before setting lines, a good idea but it turned a simple job into a "workout" of monumental proportions..... it was that or suffer the consequences of a Cocktail.

Only sailed on the "Beech" which of course became the longest serving vessel in the fleet ... went aboard her in Kwinana in the late 70's - early 80's, I would never ever have given her the chance of such a long service life. No doubt those who were aboard her at the last thought she was a great ship?

Would like to know if the shower bulkhead in the third mates cabin was replaced as it was chipboard and water had got into it and it was similar in appearance to a bale of straw when I left ... she was a year an a half old then ...!!!

jimthehat
23rd April 2010, 09:09
What an excellent thread ..... we all seem to have experienced similar problems with the class. I was very pleased to see Dennis Butler explain his problems with the pump controls ....we had exactly the same trouble on the "Beech". No training, little explanation and the mate with a handbook in one hand and some pretty experimental disorganised type controls which seemed to have a mind of their own..... pathetic really. Now after many years experience with the system on the last of the "River" class I wonder we managed to discharge the "Beech" at all. In the end it was a great system.

The valves of course were a legend all of their own .... the double ring system was a great system but ... oh the, 130 odd deck valves were a real problem. The neoprene packing was one point but the turns per valve was another .. what was it 32 turns per valve?

We too reverted to shutting every valve before setting lines, a good idea but it turned a simple job into a "workout" of monumental proportions..... it was that or suffer the consequences of a Cocktail.

Only sailed on the "Beech" which of course became the longest serving vessel in the fleet ... went aboard her in Kwinana in the late 70's - early 80's, I would never ever have given her the chance of such a long service life. No doubt those who were aboard her at the last thought she was a great ship?

Would like to know if the shower bulkhead in the third mates cabin was replaced as it was chipboard and water had got into it and it was similar in appearance to a bale of straw when I left ... she was a year an a half old then ...!!!

Showers in the third mates cabin! I always knew you tanker chaps had it easy.

jim

Satanic Mechanic
23rd April 2010, 09:17
Showers in the third mates cabin! I always knew you tanker chaps had it easy.

jim

The top 4 on the new P Class have actual baths in their cabin

I used to join with a bottle of Mr Matey (well what other bubble bath could i possibly use)

James_C
23rd April 2010, 10:05
The top 4 on the new P Class have actual baths in their cabin

As did the Leckie!

Satanic Mechanic
23rd April 2010, 10:23
As did the Leckie!

so he did - not sure why its not like they ever get that dirty ;)

James_C
23rd April 2010, 10:36
I always use to find them showered, changed into uniform and in the bar for 1700 on the dot every day without fail. A hard life right enough!(Pint)
I must say I really liked the P boats, well thought out ships and very nice accommodation, indeed I think the Trader class was almost a direct follow on.
I seem to remember the P's had a bit of a rabbit warren around the Bar/Pantry/TV Room/Library/Hospital though, and some kind of walkway to the swimming pool from the accommodation would have been nice, but they're only minor quibbles.
Certainly we all appreciated the accommodation lift, just wish we had one in the Pumproom!(Thumb)

Satanic Mechanic
23rd April 2010, 10:51
I always use to find them showered, changed into uniform and in the bar for 1700 on the dot every day without fail. A hard life right enough!(Pint)
I must say I really liked the P boats, well thought out ships and very nice accommodation, indeed I think the Trader class was almost a direct follow on.
I seem to remember the P's had a bit of a rabbit warren around the Bar/Pantry/TV Room/Library/Hospital though, and some kind of walkway to the swimming pool from the accommodation would have been nice, but they're only minor quibbles.
Certainly we all appreciated the accommodation lift, just wish we had one in the Pumproom!(Thumb)

There was a very direct lineage from the 'H's to the 'P's and onto the new birdies - each one a development of the previous. As you say damn good ships.

barnsey
23rd April 2010, 11:09
Jim,

You say we had it cushy .... but reading about the latest P,H and whatever vessels seems they REALLY REALLY do have it cushy ...... not REAL BP Tankers ... they finished with the BIRDY BOATS

James_C
23rd April 2010, 11:35
There was a very direct lineage from the 'H's to the 'P's and onto the new birdies - each one a development of the previous. As you say damn good ships.

I was never a good enough boy to get sent to an H boat, but I did do one trip on a new Birdie and they were alright, really mini P boats.
The Trader class was excellent, I was only on the one so as to get time in for my Gas DCE (which I've never used in anger) but the cabins and public spaces were very nice indeed, especially the Saloon - impressive.
You could tell the company had some input into their design, as opposed to the new Tree's which were awful. I visited one circa 2003 and was not impressed at all - very basic Japanese design, reminded me a little of the V boats (argh).

Longfellow
24th April 2010, 04:16
Ahh, the old Trees.
Sailed on 5 of them, I think, through a bit of a blur.....four B+W, one Sulzer RD with those appalling semi-rotary exhaust valves. Maple, Poplar twice, Ivy, Hazel and Beech.
Yep, the Cargo valves were Worthy Simpson, I think, with O-ring seals in the wedges. If the O-rings were new, and the inspection plates had been shifted and the crap cleared out, they were fine as valves; the problem as I recall was that they were all manual, so they had extended spindles up through the deck, and what with the deck stand packing, the corroded supports, the taper-pinned sleeves, and the "flexible" joints, they could be a real bugger. Used to be a watchpoint on tank entry - give everything a bloody good kick on the way down, so it was less likely to meet you down at the bottom travelling at speed. And the Cruciforms on the ring main x-overs were about 3 metres up from the bottom, and a sod to get to.

Cargo pumps and controls - err - they were electric motor drive (constant speed induction motors; we're going back a bit now!). The automation either didn't work at all, or had been tricked out to prevent surprises; what was supposed to happen was that the Mate was free to wind open the discharge valve, but the I/P converter (amps/pneumatic) would monitor the motor amps, and close the valve in to keep the power below trip point. Discharge valve was supposed to be cracked off a little or the pumps would not start against a closed valve. Common now; wasn't then. But the pneumatics were linked by High and Low signal selectors to the Mate's valve demand, they were always iffy, and the upshot was that no-one knew what the hell was happening at any given time, if the system worked at all.
The pumps, recall, also had Leveltrol controllers with a control input to the discharge valve, with the set-point shifted around to suit Cargo gravity. If they were set wrong, or the displacer fell off (common), or the torque tube broke or seized (common) that would gas a pump up at the drop of a hat.
Beneath this, down in the eng.room, we had 2 T/A's supplying the power; one Brotherhood main T/A, and an Alfa-Laval in-Port T/A. The Alfa set governing was awful, so we had to wind the governor up with an Allen key to keep it on the board. (Usually; I think the Ivy had a Brotherhood Gobbler instead of the Laval set - which was an absolute bugger with it's own foibles and modes of attack - it's a long time ago, I'll accept any reasoned correction to any of this!)
This meant that if the demand rose, the Junior had to leg over and wind the Alfa up. If the load dropped suddenly, the Alfa would take the lot, and the Brotherhood would drop off the board. (The Gobbler, if that's what you had, took so much steam the boiler couldn't keep up; same result, different fix).
Failure or unexpected events either way usually resulted in one T/A only, a sudden change in load demand, and the lights went out again.
They are the only ships I've been on, where the Junior was expected to put a blackout back together on his own, and re-start cargo - and I've done them from Junior to Third, and it wasn't just possible, it was regular. Including getting the Dual-pressure boiler back on line, unless you were on the Sulzer jobs, that had the Babcock Sinuous Header Boiler, found only now in composting text books, which the Indian fireman would flash off for you when / if the lights came back on. Which you had to allow for in the emergency diesel loading, cos he used to get ahead of the game a bit...

Oh yes, I forget - the cargo pump bearing temp trips were AMOT pneumatic, with the fusible solder joint. Loss of air pressure tripped the pump. They used to fail unpredicatably as well, causing the usual lights-out on major load demand change.

I used to be fit!
Lord, those days are long gone!

barnsey
11th May 2010, 12:39
Wow Longfellow .... thats some tale .... Now I can begin to appreciate why the lights went out so often and what went on down in the depths .... fascinating.

Satanic Mechanic
13th May 2010, 11:14
British Beech I am sure had two Brotherhoods - one as you say an atmospheric one and the boiler I don't recall as being dual pressure but rather a F&W D type. River boats were defo dual pressure - igema switches, reset by waving a magnet at them wand like. like a very sweaty and stressed out Harry Potter (Switchoresetio!!!) as the mate got those last few drops out by trimming the vessel to 20meters by the Stern.

Long gone
13th May 2010, 14:56
British Beech I am sure had two Brotherhoods - one as you say an atmospheric one and the boiler I don't recall as being dual pressure but rather a F&W D type.

I'd go with that; my last trip in 1979

Vital Sparks
14th May 2010, 15:44
Anybody remember which one of the trees had cargo pumps named "John", "Paul", "George" and "Ringo", much better than the usual Red Green Blue and Yellow.

Roberth1
15th May 2010, 11:02
The British Trees certainly had two Brotherhood TA's.
One "high efficiency" which was meant to run all the time and had the condenser to give full vacuum and one "low efficiency" which exhausted to atmospheric pressure and designed for use with cargo pumps and when on standby.
I was on the Holly and the Ivy.
One other thng about the cargo pumps two were direct on line start, the reda dn green if memory serves me well and two were yellow and blue which were transformer start and started in stages.
The Holly and Ivy both had dual pressure boilers.

jAdUwallah
6th June 2010, 11:35
Anybody remember which one of the trees had cargo pumps named "John", "Paul", "George" and "Ringo", much better than the usual Red Green Blue and Yellow.

The cargo-pumps on the British Fern were Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

barnsey
6th June 2010, 11:53
Thought you might like the lines diagram for the double ring main pipeline, the 19's and 22's were much the same except for the tank configuration .....

mikeharrison
11th June 2010, 20:42
Cavitation, Cavitation, Cavitation........

Errrr.... I think that it was on the Tree boats that we used to cavitate the Cargo pumps and get extra output from them. BP sent us lucky Mates on a course to Worthington Simpsons at Newark in order to get the best out of the pumps (and keep the engineers happy :-) ).

I never had any trouble with Tree boat deck valves - the secret was to carry a big wheel key in your boiler suit. :-)

Regards, Mike

barnsey
12th June 2010, 00:03
Mike, the Vac-Strip Pumps and the choke ( Butterfly valve ) were there to limit the cavitation and if you operated them ok everything was ok .... however we had no instruction when the Trees first came out and the systems needed fine tuning. As you say you were lucky and got sent on a course .....

Would love to have seen your Boiler suit as you needed a bloody great wheel key to turn the deck valves ... we needed two and sometimes THREE blokes, each with a wheel spanner on a valve, but as I said we had the ships 'new' ... not quite a year old in my case.

jimthehat
12th June 2010, 08:04
"SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF A COCKTAIL" can someone explain to a simple dry cargp man ,what were the consquences??Did the whole tank need to be pumped out?and re cleaned?,and how long would this take,OR did the mate get the sack.

jim

Billieboy
12th June 2010, 08:26
Cocktails, known as admixtures, could be extremely expensive as the most affected parcel would have to be pumped ashore into a separate tank and then passed through the refining process again!

With Crude admixtures, charterers could, (and often did, when prices were falling) refuse to accept the parcel, whch meant that they would not pay the freight either! the parcel could be as large as 50K M! so quite expensive.

tugboat
18th June 2010, 11:10
And we won't mention water in a lub oil cargo, oh my word no! Deffo need a bottle of Grecian 2000 after one of those!

mikeharrison
4th July 2010, 19:32
Mike, the Vac-Strip Pumps and the choke ( Butterfly valve ) were there to limit the cavitation and if you operated them ok everything was ok .... however we had no instruction when the Trees first came out and the systems needed fine tuning. As you say you were lucky and got sent on a course .....

Would love to have seen your Boiler suit as you needed a bloody great wheel key to turn the deck valves ... we needed two and sometimes THREE blokes, each with a wheel spanner on a valve, but as I said we had the ships 'new' ... not quite a year old in my case.
Hello Barnsey,

I am very pleased to hear from you, a fellow "Tree boat" man.
Trust me, you do not want to see my Boiler suit after all these years. :-)
But I am a big guy and I carried a BIG wheel key.

I was a humble junior apprentice when I had my first trip on a Tree boat (the Beech). There were some five of us, including the Bosun, joining her at Kristianstad in Sweden and flying out of Copenhagen airport.

As he said that he was a experienced traveller and man of the world, we followed the Bosun through the departure gate onto the plane at Copenhagen and it was very comfortable but the flight seemed to be taking a long time. When we finally landed, the NORWEGIAN flag was on the flagpost by the runway. Yes, we had flown to Kristiansand in Norway instead of Kristianstad in Sweden, only a small navigational error of about 300 miles. :-)

Regards and Best Wishes, Mike

barnsey
4th July 2010, 23:49
Hi Mike,

Don't think we ever met but we do share the 'Bond' of having been not only a 'Tree Boat' man but a far closer one of sharing the 'Beech' as the first .... and in my case ... only one. I was amazed at the length of time she lasted .... we used to make fun of some of the construction ... just outside the pumproom on the bulkhead about a couple of feet up was a nicely cut and welded up 'porthole' ... obviously some dockyard bloke cutting the steel plate made a whoopsie because there was a proper porthole directly above it !!!

My cabin shower bulkhead in the third mates cabin was turning into a bunch of straw as the water got in behind the Vynil covering and the chipboard behind it protested....early days for chip board !!!

There was nothing to replace my loyalty to the 'Birdy Boats' though .... nothing !!

stan302
7th July 2010, 13:48
I seem to remember one third mate on the Poplar describe the feeling after a line set as feeling like he had sh&gged a squadren of WRENs but without the sexual satisfaction of having done so. Very apt desciption in my opinion. I was senior cadet on the Poplar late 77 to early 78 - very eventful trip for those unlucky enough to be aboard!

barnsey
7th July 2010, 22:02
I was senior cadet on the Poplar late 77 to early 78 - very eventful trip for those unlucky enough to be aboard!

OK Stan so tell us more please ... who was the old man? (Wave)

BigNick
12th July 2010, 13:54
After the sale of the Border boats in the early 80s, a few of the Trees including the Holly had cargo heating coils installed and spent their last days in the European "black oil" trade. Cargo valves turned much easier then.

I thought the Tree boats all had heater coils. In fact i thought they were the last fleet to have them so when they went we wondered how we were ever going to trade up the Baltic in January, as i had done on the Hawthorn in Jan 78, icebreaking as we went. They were also the last fleet with thick enough plates, the Itty and River boats had plating so thin you could see their framing.

As for the original question, i thought there were 33 tanks, 11 port, 11 centre and 11 starb'd. But maybe some of the centre ones were combined into larger tanks? I was down the pit so it was never really my department.

By the way, the 4 big electric cargo pumps on the Hawthorn were named (Port to Stb'd) Matthrew, Mark, Luke and John.

Keep the lamp swinging,

stan302
16th August 2010, 16:45
Barnesy - I think it was Stan Davies when I paid off who was aboard with his good lady who I think was called Mae. I remember him berating me for the length of my hair telling me very sternly that the authorities would not let me into Singapore because I was a hippy! We were coastal trading NW Europe at the time, I kept my hair long as it kept my ears warm. The only other name I remember from the time was George Bull who was C/O for a period.

GrahamWeifang
1st August 2012, 09:16
The Mate on the Willow used to insist on all valves being closed before starting to set up lines for loading/discharge. I don't remember them being too bad to open or close though as I don't remember carrying a wheelkey around with me and I seem to remember it was the Mates, App's and Pumpman who did the work. Mind you that might be old age!
Regards, Richard.

I remember this too.
The pumps were started on closed valves.
Then gradually the valves were opened.

Graham

Vital Sparks
1st August 2012, 17:25
Agreed, the Tree tanks were a 3 x 11 grid. It was the later Itty and River boats which had a few double sized centre tanks. As for heating coils, I'm sure coil installation that was one of the jobs done on the Holly at her last drydock in Swansea. She certainly had a coil heater installed on the starboard side of the accomodation (boat deck level I think).

I did one winter trip on the Holly when the Baltic froze over. Watching the hull cut it's own path through the ice sheet was something to see. I do remember an ice breaker called "Frej" coming to our resuce after the old man decided to take a detour into a bay. In no uncertain terms he told us that if we didn't stop we'd be there until spring because he wasn't coming in to get us, that did the trick.

ninabaker
1st August 2012, 21:38
I sailed on the "Vine" in 1971, thankfully just for a month after being transferred from the lovely old "Chivalry" when we laid her up in Barry docks.
Although I cannot remember her cargo equipment in any detail what does stick in my mind was that all the deck valves (of which there were many) required three or four men with wheel keys to operate them.
This required a full crew callout when topping off and everybody had to be on their toes to avoid any mishaps!!

My first trip was on the Willow in 1972. I struggled to memorise the valve layouts and colours and still have the diagram I did to try and get them into my head.

I remember the valves as being hard work but I think nearly all were manageable for me with a valve key, maybe some of the crossovers needed two of us cadets with keys?

My recollection is that the mate, cadets and pumpman did all the setting up. I dont recall his name but the pumpan on the Willow was a really old guy, near retirement, and tiny. He was shorter and slighter than me but stronger than anyone else on the ship. Whenever I read of someon being wiry, I think of him - practically made of wire ropes I thought. He had done his time in the very last sailing ships, presumably just before WW2.

derekhore
2nd August 2012, 08:53
On the Laurel ... after tank cleaning/deballasting, loading etc, every valve was closed and lashed to indicate the fact.
Cadets with the Pumpman would then setup the system for loading or discharging, with the mate (A.J. Laurillard) going round and checking everything.
Valves that were shut were indicated as such with their lashing through the valve wheel.

Uricanejack
3rd August 2012, 06:52
The Hazel at one time the pumps were known a John Paul George and Ringo. When I sailed on her they were back to Red yellow blue green. 33 tanks, 22 wing and 11 centre . Setting the deck was a work out. often did it twice a week. Pump room was just as bad especialy in the gulf in the summer. Gas Oil made the valves easier next cargo. but you sure new the differance after Naphta. Sailed on the Beech as well. Double ring main had 3 tank valves per cross section of 3 tanks. 4 Master valves on lines 2 cross over Red Green and Ble Yellow and 1 crusiform between crossover. The River Class had double crusiforms. 7 in addition to tank Valves so 77 plus 33 tank valves add in two drops per line and manifolds a lot of Valves. We didn't have to swing em all as we lashed them shut for seperation. But we swung a lot. Tank cleaning after every cargo we did a line wash then we swung the lot deck and pump room. Who needed a gym. It was into the Bar and a tot of rum followed by beer to aid recovery. Both ships had nice bars I think The Duke Of wellington on the Hazel the beech I cant remember.

derekhore
3rd August 2012, 08:36
"The River class had double cruciforms" .. they did - and they also had hydraulics!!

twogrumpy
4th August 2012, 16:08
Deck valve hydraulics, still remember this!!

Routine maintenance on the twin pump hydraulic power pack, after 10 minutes the first pump seized then the second one went the same way.

Check the motor direction yeah right.

Won't bore you with the number of times the scrolls were out and buffed up or replaced, where we fitted filters, and on and on.

Deck chappies were not happy, to be fair even I could not blame them, however it was around NW Europe, so the work helped keep them warm.

I believe one of the questions asked was had we used the correct hydraulic oil, well yes we had, the BP recommended one of course, though it did not feel the same.

The outcome? for all the time, energy and money spent, and I might add slanderous comments about the engineers.............. the oil was the wrong grade for the pumps.

2G
(Cloud)

derekhore
4th August 2012, 16:26
Many a 'happy' memory of sliding around on a wet & slippery deck in all weathers as pink hydraulic oil sprayed around our ears!!!

twogrumpy
5th August 2012, 15:17
Many a 'happy' memory of sliding around on a wet & slippery deck in all weathers as pink hydraulic oil sprayed around our ears!!!

Much the same on the cargo pump flat as well I can assure you, damned awful stuff.

2G
(Cloud)