Irish Pine

Ian
9th April 2004, 18:20
This lively trials view of the IRISH PINE was taken in 1948, the year of her completion by Redhead's.

tanker
18th November 2004, 13:57
IRISH PINE had a sister IRISH OAK. they become AMAZON and ALKYON in
1965 and 1967 and probably scrapped in the middle 70s

Fairfield
18th November 2004, 14:41
And the names perpetuated in the bulkers built on the Clyde in the 70s.

Baulkham Hills
29th September 2008, 10:28
I sailed on the ex Irish Elm in the early 1970's it was called the Glendalough
owned by Mullions (Roderick lived close to Glendalough), it was a very old fashioned steamship even for one built in 1953 and it was in such bad condition, I felt lucky to have survived it for ten months.

Cheers

Pat Hughes
29th September 2008, 14:59
I sailed on the ex Irish Elm in the early 1970's it was called the Glendalough
owned by Mullions (Roderick lived close to Glendalough), it was a very old fashioned steamship even for one built in 1953 and it was in such bad condition, I felt lucky to have survived it for ten months.

Cheers

That's a new one on me. Used to live outside Arklow (Avoca) and never heard that name before!

omcgarry
29th September 2008, 17:06
That's a new one on me. Used to live outside Arklow (Avoca) and never heard that name before!

Ah but if you had lived in Bray you would have been aware and on alert !

Pat Hughes
29th September 2008, 18:16
Ah but if you had lived in Bray you would have been aware and on alert !

Avoca is a little closer than Bray. I would have thought the name would have rung a bell.

Sláinte chugat

Pat

Baulkham Hills
30th September 2008, 07:35
Jr Mullion was a shipowner in Hong Kong who took over Douglas Steamship Company, these ships were called Inch.....
later they named ships Ardrossmore Ard.........
They were big racehorse owners, Roderick was the son and lived in Wicklow
close to Glendalough hence the name.
There was also a ship owned by Roderick called the Wicklow, formally cargo passenger ship of Jardines, Eastern Queen (commonly known as the oriental poofter) around the same period.

Cheers