Old Shell Fleet News

loylobby
30th January 2009, 08:11
I was sorting out my rubbish gathering storage space yesterday (the garage). I found a sports bag full of the old Shell "Fleet News". My memory is certainly on its way out because at first I couldn't think why I should have so many Fleet News then it hit me; I took the Fleet News file from the bar on the Halia at QE dock Eastham when we were getting her ready for scrap.

In amongst the mice droppings I had a really good read. Lots of names from the past in there, many of them no longer with us I am sorry to say. Before the electronic age the Fleet News was a major source of finding out who was where and on what ship.

I also had a good laugh at the cartoons which were sent in by the mate Pete Marsland. I sailed with him when I was a cadet and he had a book full of them, some coloured in. It was excellent reading; he based them all on characters he had sailed with and incidents which had actually happened. The trademark "H" boat funnel with the Shell on was often featured. The "good old days" eh!!

Anyone else remember the Pete Marsland cartoons and the Fleet News?

(I presume copyright would prevent me scanning and uploading some of them)

KEITH SEVILLE
30th January 2009, 08:28
I remember the Shell Fleet News, a valuable source of information.
Kept you up to date with the interesting things happening in the STUK fleet.
It also had a births, marriages and deaths column.
I also remember a list of ships and crew who were onboard when the edition was printed.
The photos were in black and white and I was always eager to get a copy which somebody would give me when I visited the ships.

Regards
Keith

tom roberts
30th January 2009, 17:00
Regards Shell News I was s.o.s.on the Hyria ,7 11 57 couple of trips earlier I was on the Tilapa the other s.o.s. was a lad Peter Newlands who had been awarded the B.E.M.for saving someone in Rotterdam I think and there was a photo of him being presented with the medal by some bigwig from Shell in the Shell News I often wondered why the bigwig got to present it to Peter aand not some royal and where is Peter now?

mikeg
31st January 2009, 15:09
I remember the Shell Fleet News as an excellent publication. Also good is the present SPA News (Shell Pensioners Association) for keeping up to date with events.

calvin
1st February 2009, 20:04
remember the fleet news was good read goog cartoons new builds and scrapping but good for finding mates ask at shell for info but sadly werent able to help as was with shell74 to 81 lost names of lots of crew catering deck and some great officers and captains.

BlythSpirit
21st February 2009, 14:27
loylobby, it would be great to see some of the Fleet News again, you wouldn't have any problem with uploading them, they were always in the public domain (I think)

mclean
7th April 2009, 17:34
A phrase used on the odd occasion in the Fleet News, when a vessel had a grounding or similar mishap was, Captain .....has since left the company,s service. Colin

john sutton
7th April 2009, 17:58
i made 5 trips on the navicella in the mid 50,s.4 of them with a captain Lee.
probably the best skipper i ever sailed with.anybody else sailed with him
john sutton

niggle
9th December 2010, 03:27
(Jester)(Jester)(Jester) they are worht a lot of money if full coulor by pete I was sorting out my rubbish gathering storage space yesterday (the garage). I found a sports bag full of the old Shell "Fleet News". My memory is certainly on its way out because at first I couldn't think why I should have so many Fleet News then it hit me; I took the Fleet News file from the bar on the Halia at QE dock Eastham when we were getting her ready for scrap.

In amongst the mice droppings I had a really good read. Lots of names from the past in there, many of them no longer with us I am sorry to say. Before the electronic age the Fleet News was a major source of finding out who was where and on what ship.

I also had a good laugh at the cartoons which were sent in by the mate Pete Marsland. I sailed with him when I was a cadet and he had a book full of them, some coloured in. It was excellent reading; he based them all on characters he had sailed with and incidents which had actually happened. The trademark "H" boat funnel with the Shell on was often featured. The "good old days" eh!!

mikefoster
23rd January 2011, 02:59
[QUOTE=john sutton;309559]i made 5 trips on the navicella in the mid 50,s.4 of them with a captain Lee.

Were you ever on the Newcombia, John? I came across a story once, about her going to Pitcairn to repair their radio station. When they left, the islanders came out in their boats, stood and sang "In the sweet by and by, when we meet on that wonderful shore". Not a dry eye on the Newcombia according to the story. She was en route to New Zealand.

Mike

Ex-Joe
18th May 2011, 17:50
There's an old copy of the Fleet News at this location on flickr..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61571669@N04/sets/72157626503644574/with/5621593021/

Regards

Ex-joe

allenr.
15th September 2011, 01:28
Regards Shell News I was s.o.s.on the Hyria ,7 11 57 couple of trips earlier I was on the Tilapa the other s.o.s. was a lad Peter Newlands who had been awarded the B.E.M.for saving someone in Rotterdam I think and there was a photo of him being presented with the medal by some bigwig from Shell in the Shell News I often wondered why the bigwig got to present it to Peter aand not some royal and where is Peter now?

Hi. I was a d/app on Hyria around this time, one trip was down to Montevideo, biggest tanker to visit up to that time, had to be pushed accross the harbour, had a great time ashore as there was a festival of sorts going on at that time, sadley many came away with an unwanted present some days after we had left. had My first experience with turbo fuel pumps which was not pleasant after using the old push pull weir steam pumps up untill then. She was just tramping at that time in the western ocean. regards Rob Allen, now long retired. Anybody sailed with a master by the name of Douglas Keating, a liverpudlian who lived in Auckland N.Z. the best skipper I ever sailed with.

paul newing
15th April 2013, 06:51
i was on her when she went to scrap ,, would love to see the old fleet news

I was sorting out my rubbish gathering storage space yesterday (the garage). I found a sports bag full of the old Shell "Fleet News". My memory is certainly on its way out because at first I couldn't think why I should have so many Fleet News then it hit me; I took the Fleet News file from the bar on the Halia at QE dock Eastham when we were getting her ready for scrap.