Three great shipping company histories (merged)

eriskay
31st January 2009, 18:40
Recently invested in the following three publications :

'Ropner's Navy' - A complete history of ships owned & managed by Ropner Shipping Company 1874 thru 1997, by Billy McGee

'The Blue Funnel Odyssey', by W.J. Harvey

'Cayzer, Irvine - From Clans to Kings & Castles', by Vic McClymont & Bill Harvey

For anyone having an interest in these three great British shipping companies, the modest investment involved is certainly worthwhile and excellent value for money.

benjidog
31st January 2009, 23:01
I have registered interest in Billy's book on Amazon as they don't have it available at present. I am sure it will be excellent.

hamishb
1st February 2009, 10:57
I came across the following in the book review section of our local paper the Greenock Telegraph. I will declare now that I have no connection or financial interest in these CDs or with the newspaper I simply thought they might be of interest to some members.
Without giong into too much detail the books were ready for print but the deal with the publisher fell through and in the financial climate another couldnt be found so the authors decided to launch the books on CD.
1) Cayzer,Irvine,-From Clans, to Kings and Castles
2) Alfred Holt and Company,-The Blue Funnel Odyssey.
Both are stated by the reviewer to have been well researched, there are sections where individual ships are detailed and there are lots of photographs.
The price is stated to be 20. including P&P.
You can obtain copies by first contacting Vic at Vicmac21"at"tiscali.co.uk.
The use of uppercase"V" is shown in the paper.
I hope some members will get enjoyment from these.
Regards
Hamish.

andysk
2nd February 2009, 12:44
Hi Hamish,

This sounds interesting, is this review available on their web site ?

Cheers

Andy

hamishb
2nd February 2009, 14:35
Hi Andy, I only have the email address given in the paper,
I do not know of a web address, sorry,
Hamish.

hamishb
2nd February 2009, 14:54
What a small world, I had a look at this thread and found that that 2 of the books mentioned are the 2 which now seem to be on CD . Our local rag states that " they (the authors) had originally intended them to be books,but they were actually in an advanced stage when for some reason the publisher pulled the plug, despite them being 'camera ready' for the printer."
Perhaps the printed ones could be quite rare if the story in our local paper is correct. Unfortunately it is often out of date with some news being quite old.
Regards Hamish

K urgess
2nd February 2009, 16:30
Details of the 2 CDs can be found on the Clydesite webpage here -
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/shipping_books.htm

And pre notification from Amazon for Billy's book here -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ropners-Navy-Billy-McGee/dp/0955859352

Cheers
Kris

BillH
2nd February 2009, 17:38
Hi Hamish,

This sounds interesting, is this review available on their web site ?

Cheers

Andy
Andy,

Have e-mailed you a copy of the page that Greenock Telegraph PDF'd and sent to us last week.

Unfortunately I cannot post it on here as it would be construed as advertising by those on the bridge.

Bill

K urgess
2nd February 2009, 17:40
We seem to have two threads about the same thing so I'm going to merge them so that the links will be available.

BillH
2nd February 2009, 17:58
What a small world, I had a look at this thread and found that that 2 of the books mentioned are the 2 which now seem to be on CD . Our local rag states that " they (the authors) had originally intended them to be books,but they were actually in an advanced stage when for some reason the publisher pulled the plug, despite them being 'camera ready' for the printer."
Perhaps the printed ones could be quite rare if the story in our local paper is correct. Unfortunately it is often out of date with some news being quite old.
Regards Hamish
Hamish,

The books on CD were never printed being that the publisher pulled the plug hence the CD's

Bill

andysk
5th February 2009, 09:42
Andy,

Have e-mailed you a copy of the page that Greenock Telegraph PDF'd and sent to us last week.

Unfortunately I cannot post it on here as it would be construed as advertising by those on the bridge.

Bill

Thanks for this Bill, received OK.

Cheers

Andy

BillH
5th February 2009, 11:23
Thanks for this Bill, received OK.

Cheers

Andy
No problem, glad to help, within the rules!

Bill

BillH
3rd June 2009, 18:48
Recently invested in the following three publications :

'Ropner's Navy' - A complete history of ships owned & managed by Ropner Shipping Company 1874 thru 1997, by Billy McGee

'The Blue Funnel Odyssey', by W.J. Harvey

'Cayzer, Irvine - From Clans to Kings & Castles', by Vic McClymont & Bill Harvey

For anyone having an interest in these three great British shipping companies, the modest investment involved is certainly worthwhile and excellent value for money.
An unsolicited and independent review of one of the CD's Blue Funnel Odyssey has been posted on the Blue Funnel Forum by Riversea