Colin Grierson

arfabuck
31st January 2009, 20:40
Gooday shipmates,

I heard through the grapevine that an old chum of mine - Colin Grierson drowned whilst second mate with Bank Line. West Africa somewhere.

If anyone has definitive info it would be very much appreciated.

Colin was born and brought up in the Falklands, ( OM customs and harbour master Port Stanley until 1958 ). We went to Swanage Grammar together, then Warsash, parted ways when he went into Bank line and I joined in Bums Paradise, did second mates at King Teds together and then lost contact

Would like to close the book for several Associations we belong to.

TIA

Arthur

China hand
1st February 2009, 15:46
Sailed with Colin in WEYBANK August '78 to January '79 when we sold her.
Capt Whisker. Me as Mate, Colin as 2nd Mate. No further contact I'm afraid.
Nice bloke, we got on well. Didn't here about a drowning, but in those days it was a big firm and we did get scattered.

K urgess
9th April 2009, 11:48
I agree so I have deleted the original and any follow up posts connected to it.

arfabuck
10th April 2009, 00:43
I agree so I have deleted the original and any follow up posts connected to it.

There are a lot of things that are 'not nice' in this world and can be avoided with the push of a button, however learning of the 'unsavoury' character of an old friend - and possible circumstances of his demise is reality.

As I am the one who posted the original query, I would like to thank those who have enlightened me as to Colins later life and had their posts deleted. It is not surprising how he turned out given his background and although I could wish "I could have been there for him", the reality is that we all have out cross to bear, and live our lives accordingly.

Colins parents are deceased and he had no siblings, so I expect his nearest and dearest are his old mates such as myself.

I would still appreciate hearing from anyone who can confirm the circumstances of his passing, where and when. The how I leave up to the informant.

regards,

Art