Ballyhill

Ian
9th April 2004, 18:30
The BALLYHILL (1954/originally 847 grt) at Belfast in 1962. She and her sister BALLYSHAFT of 1952 were built by George Brown of Greenock and later lengthened by 22 ft. Note the raised poop which made for much better accommodation. They were scrapped in 1971 and 1970 respectively.

Bob_F
15th June 2004, 00:56
Was on the building and fitting out of both these ships. It was the Ballyhaft not the Ballyshaft. Another Kelly collier was built around this time in A. & J Inglis of Pointhouse the Ballylumford.
Bob.

Hamish Mackintosh
25th January 2006, 01:50
Was on the building and fitting out of both these ships. It was the Ballyhaft not the Ballyshaft. Another Kelly collier was built around this time in A. & J Inglis of Pointhouse the Ballylumford.
Bob.
Who did the "black"boats belong to ? "black Sod" "Black water" etc was that not Ma Kellies coal burning submarines?

Peter Dryden
16th April 2006, 02:19
It is realy a small world, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the picture of the Ballyhill, this boat used to frequent my home port of Blyth often.
My late father became great friends with the cook who was a Mr Cooper.
My father passed away on the 20th March 2006 and going through my fathers collection of photographs there is one of Mr Cooper aboard ship, I myself was a frequent visitor to the ship.
I will dig that photo out and post it.

Peter.

mclean
16th April 2006, 03:46
Peter, you must remember Gardner,s of Glasgow. I was Mate on the Saint Colman and Saint Bridget in 1966, after being instructed by my better half to cease going deep sea ,or else. Did quite a few trips to Blyth. Colin

Peter Dryden
16th April 2006, 14:44
Hi,
Here as promised is the photo taken of the Ballyhill.
Going from left to right, an old salt who loved to hang around the harbour whose name escapes me, then me approx 10, Mr Cooper, in front of mr Cooper is my older brother Philip, family friend Royston Williams, then my late father resplendent in suit and tie.
Judging from fathers dress it must have been Sunday, Both Mr Cooper and my father were committed christians meeting in the Plymouth Bretheren Gospel Halls.
If anyone viewing can help me as to Mr Coopers welfare I would be grateful.