The Last Time Around Cape Horn. William F. Stark

6th February 2009, 00:50
I read this a couple of years ago and thought I had posted a mention of it on some thread but I can't find it.

I really enjoyed this true story about a young man who is detrmined to sail on a square rigger in the "Grain Race" he manages to get himself a berth on the "Pamir" on her last commercial voyage carrying grain from Australia to the U.K. around Cape Horn.

After reading this I can't believe I had the B***s to complain about anything at sea. I think it's about time to read it again.

6th February 2009, 10:43
Another good read on the same topic is the true account of a young mans apprenticeship on the Denbeigh Castle, I bought the book in the 1950's and have read it about 20 times, it is fantastic: Kicking Canvas by Captain A A Bestic.

6th February 2009, 11:07
I read Kicking Canvas as a schoolboy (the Cadet Edition!).

Another good (and amusing) account of the 1930s Grain Races is Eric Newby's The Last Grain Race about his voyage on Moshulu.

6th February 2009, 17:45
Hello All Eric Newby's books are a good read.Read many many good books about the days of sail such as 'The Cape Horn Breed' and 'The Log Of A Limejuicer' Talk about hard men, they were peerless in their profession, cannot remember all the titles,My local library is a great source of books about the sea . Tony Allen