The Last Time Around Cape Horn. William F. Stark

looneylectrics
5th February 2009, 23:50
I read this a couple of years ago and thought I had posted a mention of it on some thread but I can't find it.

I really enjoyed this true story about a young man who is detrmined to sail on a square rigger in the "Grain Race" he manages to get himself a berth on the "Pamir" on her last commercial voyage carrying grain from Australia to the U.K. around Cape Horn.

After reading this I can't believe I had the B***s to complain about anything at sea. I think it's about time to read it again.

Pemcol
6th February 2009, 09:43
Another good read on the same topic is the true account of a young mans apprenticeship on the Denbeigh Castle, I bought the book in the 1950's and have read it about 20 times, it is fantastic: Kicking Canvas by Captain A A Bestic.

McCloggie
6th February 2009, 10:07
I read Kicking Canvas as a schoolboy (the Cadet Edition!).

Another good (and amusing) account of the 1930s Grain Races is Eric Newby's The Last Grain Race about his voyage on Moshulu.

McC

TonyAllen
6th February 2009, 16:45
Hello All Eric Newby's books are a good read.Read many many good books about the days of sail such as 'The Cape Horn Breed' and 'The Log Of A Limejuicer' Talk about hard men, they were peerless in their profession, cannot remember all the titles,My local library is a great source of books about the sea . Tony Allen