Gothic fire

akmax
6th February 2009, 00:39
Is there anyone out there on the Gothic which caught fire out of Bluff in 1968. I would like to hear from you

ewenlowrie
12th April 2009, 12:28
lowrie ewen here i sailed on the zealandic with sheltie tom hay mad as a meat axe but a good mate i believe he was gaing to get a double dr but after his heroics fire fighting he ended up with a pair of vgs i believe he disappered in london one night and never heard of again cheer for now lowrie

ferrandou
13th April 2009, 12:46
I sailed on her the trip after she caught fire, there were numerous small fires, usually electricity generated.
Freaky going through the burnt out accommodation on the 12 to 4.

Bob Hollis

Is there anyone out there on the Gothic which caught fire out of Bluff in 1968. I would like to hear from you

james buist
14th April 2009, 06:22

i was on the gothic the two trips before the fire transfered to corinthic met gothic incuracao not very nice i could have been very lucky

pbeart1
12th October 2009, 01:02
i was on the gothic the two trips before the fire transfered to corinthic met gothic incuracao not very nice i could have been very lucky

Hi Jim,
I was on the Corinthic same trip. Sent you an email.Plum.

tony mullen
12th October 2009, 10:21

hello there akmax. just seen your question , it was placed sometime ago
but if you are still interested, I was a day work greaser onthe gothic
when we had the fire you mention. be pleased to share it with you.
tony mullen

jj b
15th October 2009, 21:39
lowrie ewen here i sailed on the zealandic with sheltie tom hay mad as a meat axe but a good mate i believe he was gaing to get a double dr but after his heroics fire fighting he ended up with a pair of vgs i believe he disappered in london one night and never heard of again cheer for now lowrie

Hello ewenlowire, jjb, my 1st time on this site,I've was @ sea 4 30 odd years,from deck boy 2 C/off/Master,I all so was on the Zealandic back I think 68/70 as jos on the USA/AUS/NZ run, they say that the Zea/Laur where sisters ships, but if my memory serve me right, the Zealandic had wooden Tieck main decks FWD of the accommodation & still decks AFT, I think we where in Nelson as the Lauren tic was alongside @ the same time, I think It was a weekend , anyway we went on board to have a chat & a beer & I no test that the Lauren tic had all still decks, that warrants non sisters it has always baffled me why they hat to be called sisters, but I like the V/L nice looking ship, I then went to the Arawak from the Zealand, & then back coasting for a while.

Kalamaki Bob
17th October 2009, 17:47
Laurentic had wooden decks as well both for'd and astern of the accomodation. I know only too well - as a cadet I holy stoned them! Steel decks round the poop and on the foc'sle. They had freezer spaces all the way up in 2, 3 & 4 - hence the wooden decks for insulation.

jj b
19th October 2009, 20:22
Laurentic had wooden decks as well both for'd and astern of the accomodation. I know only too well - as a cadet I holy stoned them! Steel decks round the poop and on the foc'sle. They had freezer spaces all the way up in 2, 3 & 4 - hence the wooden decks for insulation.

Hello Kalamaki, thank u 4 coming back 2 me & 4 putting me right, it was so long ago but it has been suck in my head all thees years, thanks jjb

bjkirkwood
15th November 2009, 21:57
If you're interested the Timeframes part of national library website has photos available online, a cant remember how many but there was a few of them.