Little Orange Boat.

John Rogers
10th August 2005, 23:33
I just finished reading an article about a cruise Ship called Little Orange Boat owned by Easy Cruise One. They have cheap cabins and cruise the French and Italian Riviera;

Come this autumn they will start cruising the Caribbean. Cost of cabins is $32.40 a night including all port cost. No midnight buffets, no dining rooms with tuxedoed diners, stops and lets you do your own thing in the ports along the way. The size of the ship is 288 foot long and has 86 cabins; they call it a floating hotel. I will try and post a picture in the gallery later.
John.

fred henderson
11th August 2005, 01:00
The ship is in fact called Easycruise I and is the old 1990 built Renaissance Two, which after passing through several hands was bought by the founder of the UK no frills airline Easyjet and is operated through a new venture called Easycruise. The passenger numbers have been almost doubled using very small cabins with no external portholes/windows. The ship is more a backpackers hostel than a hotel. It is operating this summer along the French and Italian coast and provided they stay for at least 2 nights, passengers can board and leave at any port of call.
Unlike traditional cruise ships, passengers are encouraged to eat ashore, and passengers have to pay extra to have their cabin cleaned. It seems to me that people are very willing to accept the marginally increased discomfort of a couple of hours flight with a budget airline in exchange for a significant saving that they can spend on their holiday. I do not see why anyone should want to extend the discomfort to the entire holiday.

Fred

John Rogers
11th August 2005, 01:09
Thanks for that info Fred, yes its for back-packers all right.
John

moaf
11th August 2005, 02:34
I suppose it would be okay for people who would like to travel during their holiday, a bit like self catering at sea. But, looking at the photos of the cabins in the papers, the bulkheads are as orange as the hull! Not good if you get sick!

dicamus
11th August 2005, 10:04
It's a mobile stag/hen party vessel. Leaves port around 3-4am and arrives at the next port around mid-day just as the passengers arouse themselves from the previous nights drinking binge.I did consider taking the 7 day cruise just for the variation in the ports but will be driving instead. I enquired if they were going to do a re-posistioning cruise from the Med to the Caribbean. They said no as there would be too much refurbishment to do on the passage. Hmmm

pat
11th August 2005, 11:21
There was a holiday prog. on BBC1 last week about the service and cannot say it looked very inviting very spartan and yes they say if the Med venture is success they
will put another ship on the Carb. service
Pat

Santos
11th August 2005, 20:55
Conditions on board sound just like it was when I was at sea in the sixties.
Nothings changed then.

Chris.

fred henderson
11th August 2005, 21:18
The ship is registered in that new EEC member country Cyprus, which enables it to get round the cabotage rules and most maritime rules as well. When built, she had accommodation for 100 passengers and 65 crew. She now carries 176 lower berth passengers but 250 with pullman berths and still has 65 crew. The original idea was to issue paper bunk covers instead of sheets and blankets but this has been abandoned.
The hen/stag night parties have created a problem not anticipated by the Singapore dockyard that carried out the conversion. I read that the crew are complaining that no provision had been made to enable the passenger accommodation to be hosed down on a routine basis.

Fred

moaf
12th August 2005, 00:14
Chris,

Difference being, you were paid to go on the ship and these people actually pay to go on!

trotterdotpom
12th August 2005, 00:32
.... I read that the crew are complaining that no provision had been made to enable the passenger accommodation to be hosed down on a routine basis.

Fred
By the sounds of it, there's a good chance the passengers do that themselves! Mr Cunard will be turning in his grave.

John T.

John Rogers
12th August 2005, 00:33
Washing down the cabins?? that sounds like a cattle ship.
JohnR

moaf
12th August 2005, 00:35
Meat market wouldn't be far off I suppose! Do they need any engineers?!

Santos
12th August 2005, 21:00
Yes your right there MOAF, I did get paid, NOT A LOT though.

This ship sounds like a floating Falaraki. Fancy being stuck on board in those conditions. I'de rather stay at home than book a cruise on her.

Chris.

rstimaru
13th August 2005, 14:47
Yes and they are saying they are going to take it into the carribean in winter

Keltic Star
16th March 2006, 08:26
Just noticed this thread. As one of the founding partners in the creation of this fleet of little ships, it makes me want to upchuck to see that cruising has gone to these low depths. Any rumours in the UK of how they are doing?
Talking about washing down, she must smell like the Gent's toilets at Waterloo Station on Sunday mornings.

billyboy
16th March 2006, 08:38
?? I have been following this wee orange shipy on satalite tv, just started a new series out here. aimed at the younger generation she is. some of the cabins are a wee bit spartan and some are reasonably decent But, all have orange bulkheads. ship seems to be running ok now and the owner is seriously thinking of going bigger possibly carb.
Quite comical to watch the antics of the crew though!... what ever happened to our Merchant navy. (word in that ships defence... you should see the state of some of the ferry ships over here. had a look in the state rooms on one, i wouldnt let a dog sleep in it!!)...LOl

gdynia
16th March 2006, 08:39
Just noticed this thread. As one of the founding partners in the creation of this fleet of little ships, it makes me want to upchuck to see that cruising has gone to these low depths. Any rumours in the UK of how they are doing?
Talking about washing down, she must smell like the Gent's toilets at Waterloo Station on Sunday mornings.

Interesting bit of news on the following webpage
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3632253.stm

It seems anything he touches turns to gold. Not my cup of tea but for people on low budgets hes found a niche in the market. Alot of adverts on the web so some people must like the idea

dnobmal
16th March 2006, 17:28
i read somewhere if you do not keep your cabin clean you get logged how it is collected I do not know unless there is a deposit system.Must be some diff to the new Royal Caribbean order of 220,000grt for delivery in 2009 her contract price is the most valuable in the history of commercial ship building at a cost of Euros 900mn

Keltic Star
18th March 2006, 07:15
i read somewhere if you do not keep your cabin clean you get logged how it is collected I do not know unless there is a deposit system.Must be some diff to the new Royal Caribbean order of 220,000grt for delivery in 2009 her contract price is the most valuable in the history of commercial ship building at a cost of Euros 900mn

Good business sense possibly but what cruise ports have the infrastructure to absorb this many passengers at one time coupled with the existing cruise fleet. The Caribbean only has so may islands but look at the port fees generated at the expense of passenger comfort. If you like crowds, why not stay home in New York.

It will be an awful job trying to get to know the neighbours on a 7 day cruise.

Keltic Star
18th March 2006, 07:17

I think my generation had more fun and privacy staying at a Youth Hostel for a Bob a night. Bring your own sheets.

gdynia
18th March 2006, 07:35
Good business sense possibly but what cruise ports have the infrastructure to absorb this many passengers at one time coupled with the existing cruise fleet. The Caribbean only has so may islands but look at the port fees generated at the expense of passenger comfort. If you like crowds, why not stay home in New York.

It will be an awful job trying to get to know the neighbours on a 7 day cruise.
Keltic Star

As you say good buisiness sense. Another big earner is the transport of luxury yachts around the world for corporation hire. We recently took over Dockwise, a company that transports heavy lifts, mainly oil platforms over the globe.Some one had a brain wave and marketed one of our heavy lift vessels to carry these yachts on. In a matter of a few years weve 5 vessels permantenly doing this with a state of the art vessel due out this year.Hence the big building programme going on with passenger vessels.Theres always some part of the market to be exploited and thats what Easycruise have done and I believe doing it well

fred henderson
18th March 2006, 17:06
As a matter of fact just about the only profitable part of the great outburst of Easy activities is Easyjet. Given the awful service that is provided by most of the state owned airlines in Europe, providing no service at a much lower cost was a great business idea. Something that works well in one situation however, will not always work elsewhere.
Stellios hopes that Easycruise will break even after three years trading. I think that is a very optimistic prediction. Even if it does, Easycruise is a small player at the margin of the fringe of the cruise business. The capacity of Easycruise I is 250 passengers, the Carnival group capacity is about 140,000 passengers.

Fred (Read)